PDA

View Full Version : EX1 and 5d Mark II Side by Side Comparison!

mabusfe
01-27-2009, 08:02 AM
http://www.vimeo.com/2977346

Enjoy!

Ian-T
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Actually I think the EX-1 looked better in some of those shots. The low light is great but the compression artifacts jumped out more. i would blame Vimeo...but then I should see the same thing in both shots.

Edit: Actually after a second and third look the main difference is the Canon's footage is darker than the EX-1. But they are equally as sharp I think.

John Caballero
01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Canon footage darker than the EX1? I dont think so! 5D beats the Ex1, no doubt about it.

Pastor Thug
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
The 5D ripped it new one.

Lee Wilson
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
. . . . the Canon's footage is darker than the EX-1 . . .

?

How are you using the word 'darker' here, are you using it to mean lighter ?

Happy Hopping
01-29-2009, 01:49 PM
the Canon only fails when the object is moving w/ distance back and forth from the camera, makes it difficult to focus

Hodges
01-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I prefer the 5d footage.
I'm all for greater contrast.

Kholi
01-29-2009, 04:07 PM
It's not like it's the best adapter on the EX1, either...

MKII is good for what it is, but I'd sooner shoot with an EX1 + Letus Ultimate over 5D. I guess to each his or her own.

Boomerang
01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I did not find it mind blowing.... I have worked with the HVX/Letus combo ... RedOne..... even the D90... that blew me away.

Of course the 5D looks better in the dark its a DSLR... both have there pros and cons. I am in no way a Sony fan but when someone says blown away I expect to be amazed. Not happening.

Mediaclick
06-19-2009, 11:40 PM
The 5D MKII is a great look, and handles low light very well. there are alot of pros and cons on both of them, the thing that stands out for me is.

Canon 5D Mark II
Pros:
Its light, versatile.
handles low light well.
its a video camera with DOF on top of a wonderful photo camera.

Cons:
Sound is not to great (though you can put sound equipment to it)
the light weight shows shaking alot (although you can buy shouldermounts or stabalizers)
it is not progessive, cannot change fram rate, can not overcrank or undercrank
not sure if it can interval? timelapse?

EX1+Letus
Pros:
mass amount of manual options to get the picture your after
overcrank and undercrank
interval recording
Picture profiling
steadyshot (without letus)

Cons:
Bulky and heavy
ground glass focus issues
light loss, difficult to shoot indoors and night without lighting.

there are prob alot more but thats whats jumping to my head at the moment.

Its only a matter of time until Canon release a more video dedicated piece like the 5D MKII but i assure you it will cost double and then some of the MarkII

but will appeal more to the people who already have a camera mounted with a 35mm adapter.

of late, i used to think the EX1+Letus was at the top of prosumer cameras reaching the film look/cinema feel

now its beginning to look like its only a matter of time before we find ourselves selling up on the 35mm adapters to chase whatever Canon have in thier works.

not just canon, but most camera manifacturers will be following this new WOW factor of video.

good news, the RED camera is not so desirable afterall.. good for the pocket.

squig
06-19-2009, 11:49 PM
It's not like it's the best adapter on the EX1, either...

MKII is good for what it is, but I'd sooner shoot with an EX1 + Letus Ultimate over 5D. I guess to each his or her own.

you what?

based on what jello?

you were drawing comparisons between the GH1 and EX1 weren't you? and it's a given that the MKII outshines the GH1 image wise.

and don't get grumpy with me I don't really give a shi* now that I'm shooting with the MKII what anyone has to say about any camera but I'm just wondering. :nads:

Not thinking of a MKII flip flop are you John? It blows the D90 away for stills and I thought the D90 was great for stills.

yoclay
06-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I own a 5D M2, but to be honest I thought the EX1 had a better more gradual scale in your test. The 5D looks overly contrasty (in the bathtub situation). I also think that the greater variety of tools available to an EX1 owner as noted in a previous post still make it a more serious tool for filmaking. (overcranking/undercranking etc.).

I think the 5d is great and I have no intention of buying an Ex1, but objectively speaking the toolset is going to have to improve on it (and it will) before it becomes truly a video camera. Also the aliasing issues, heavyhanded smoothing and horrendous audio are real issues.

When Canon releases the camcorder version of this sensor/camera I think their market is going to explode exponentially.

Myself I am waiting for the Scarlet FF35, but by the time it comes to market it may no longer be the revolution everyone thought it would be.

daveswan
06-20-2009, 03:08 AM
What picture style settings on the Canon? they make a hell of a difference, the white-balance was off too. Not enough moving footage to get a good idea of jello.
But I preferred the Canon.
One other important point, I could, with a push afford the Canon, no way could I afford the EX1, or, for the same money as the EX1 I could get the Canon and a nice collection of Leica R or Zeiss glass.
Dave

Lee Wilson
06-20-2009, 10:45 AM
The 5D MKII is a great look, and handles low light very well. there are alot of pros and cons on both of them, the thing that stands out for me is.

Canon 5D Mark II
Pros:
Its light, versatile.
handles low light well.

Cons:
the light weight shows shaking alot (although you can buy shouldermounts or stabalizers)

This is incorrect, the 5DII is progressive.

mcgeedigital
06-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Canon 5D Mark II
Pros:
Its light, versatile.
handles low light well.

Cons:

EX1+Letus
Pros:
mass amount of manual options to get the picture your after
overcrank and undercrank
interval recording
Picture profiling
steadyshot (without letus)

Cons:
Bulky and heavy
ground glass focus issues
light loss, difficult to shoot indoors and night without lighting.

there are prob alot more but thats whats jumping to my head at the moment.

Its only a matter of time until Canon release a more video dedicated piece like the 5D MKII but i assure you it will cost double and then some of the MarkII

but will appeal more to the people who already have a camera mounted with a 35mm adapter.

of late, i used to think the EX1+Letus was at the top of prosumer cameras reaching the film look/cinema feel

now its beginning to look like its only a matter of time before we find ourselves selling up on the 35mm adapters to chase whatever Canon have in thier works.

not just canon, but most camera manifacturers will be following this new WOW factor of video.

good news, the RED camera is not so desirable afterall.. good for the pocket.

It shoots in 30P, of course it is progressive.

booggerg2
06-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Bad WB job by the tester.. the 5D2 is very prone to that ugly orange-ish skin tone in tungsten light. Only proper white balance can bring the color back to un-exaggerated range. Such was not the case for this test.

galbach
06-20-2009, 10:54 AM
The girl looked scared...Im just sayin. It was a little disturbing. I was waiting for you to tell her to put the lotion on the skin.

f64manray
06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Preferred the 5DII footage by far. What good are all the controls of the EX1 if the image isn't as good. The final image is all that matters.