PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Class Assignment

RichardVClark
01-25-2009, 12:33 PM
The sgpro was out of commission, so I shot with the EX1 bare. This assignment was done for my cinematography class. The objective was to only use available light.

http://vimeo.com/2946249

Ryantothec
01-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I really liked this! For available lighting. I think it was just perfect. There was like one shot I felt like I wanted more contrast, but maybe that's just a personal opinion, not sure.

I know it's just a lighting assignment, but that would have been awesome if like right at the end she opens up a letter that is of great emotional value to her. Maybe a break up letter or something along those lines. then a close up of the signature on the letter it says like "love, Richard." Then a tear falls on the paper!

Ha ha, I got carried away. I wish I had a better camera.

Great work!

RichardVClark
01-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks Ryantothec

Are you talking about the close up of the keys?

thefilmaddict
01-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Looks great. It shows that one way to get great natural light is to shoot at the right time of day. I take it that this was shot very early or very late in the day? I was impressed that the shots where the girl is in front of the window, the background did not get blown out. How did you do that? Were you able to use reflectors or ND on the windows? Nice work.

RichardVClark
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks filmaddict

I filmed about an hour after sunrise. It was important to me that the sun clear the top of the building's that blocked the laundromat, but still have enough of an angle to spill through the windows. I had initially intended to use reflectors, but after adjusting some of the blocking, I decided that they were not necessary. I also discovered that there was light being reflected off the white washers which acted as my reflectors. As for the buildings, the sun was not high enough yet to fully hit the buildings in the background, which made it much easier to find a happy medium for exposure.

I hope that helped,

Richard

FrankC
01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice Richard... What saves the day is the fantastic latitude of the EX1. The shadows don't go into the tank with no detail. It captured the reflected light from the white washers beautifully, so that you didn't have to use other reflectors as you mentioned. Nice long lens use on her medium CU, throwing the parked cars in the background out of focus. My EX1 sure makes me look good too !!!!

ProfessorU
01-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Yes, it was a perfect choice for time of day, to keep the outdoors just a stop or two above the subject. The shadow in the foreground in the opening shot is a little distracting, I assume it's the camera operator.
I would have had her wear lighter colors, just to be safe. The black on the key chain would have looked better with brighter pants, for contrast.

RichardVClark
01-25-2009, 10:32 PM
You caught me (and I think the first). I would have liked to have been longer on the lens and backed up more, but the laundromat was too small.

How could I forget thanking the ex1. I wish I didn't like the look of an adapter, because form factor is perfect for shooting anywhere.

Thanks guys