PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used a hard drive with the 150??

mikeymic
01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
is it even setup to record to a hard drive like a firestore?

Mike Harvey
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
It can output a live feed via the HDMI, so if you know of a hard drive recorder that takes HDMI (I don't, but that's just because I don't know anything about hard drive recorders), than yes.

mikeymic
01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
interesting...i will look at the firestores to see if they offer hdmi.

Barry_Green
01-24-2009, 12:26 PM
There is no such thing as live video streaming via firewire with any AVCHD camera. Never will have it. No AVCHD camera even has a firewire port.

An HDMI recorder is about the only way you could do this; or HDMI->HD-SDI.

Carlos Corral
01-25-2009, 11:45 AM
You mean something like this?

http://www.cineform.com/products/CineFormRecorder.htm

I'm surprised this isn't out yet. That would put Firestore HDs to shame.

mikeymic
01-25-2009, 02:28 PM
yes, just like that!

Strobe Media
01-25-2009, 03:33 PM
You mean something like this?

http://www.cineform.com/products/CineFormRecorder.htm

I'm surprised this isn't out yet. That would put Firestore HDs to shame.
would probably put my bank account to shame as well

BrianMurphy
01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
It seems from browsing around that nothing much has happened or been said about the CIne Form Recorder in a very long while. Not that I am "dying to see one" since you can get SD memory for a very reasonable price.
I own a Firestore and it "was" great not to have to digitize footage into FCP. Sure we have to transfer right now but I am sure that will change shortly in FCP. I have to be honest and say I don't miss another box and cable hanging off my camera at ALL! Yes, going straight HDMI in and the quality boost would be cool for some gigs but the camera is pretty sweet AS IS.
I don't miss P2 & 4:2:2 either! !
Brian

tbanucci
01-31-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm curious as to why you would want it, when you are recording to solid state already. Only thing I can think of is for backup purposes.....

some1shero
01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm curious as to why you would want it, when you are recording to solid state already. Only thing I can think of is for backup purposes.....

I too an curious why you would want it? If you're recording with a 32 gig card, you're getting at least 180 minutes of footage onto one card. And carrying around an extra harddrive doesn't seem as practical. Not to mention you'd have to power the thing, unless you're going for a SSD.

Gymnut808
01-31-2009, 05:20 PM
I know the Cineform recorder was talked about on HV20.com for awhile because the HV20/30/40 has the ability to record via HDMI, thus bypassing the HDV compression, and there have been a few attempts by users to design something of a portable BlackMagic Intensity capturing system.

It was somewhat puzzling that the XHA1 never got HDMI out, instead users have to opt for the G1, just to get HD-SDI out.

SPrimeau
02-01-2009, 12:28 PM
The only advantage of a cineform recorder would be the possibility to record in 4:2:2 10 bits.

For recording time, a 16 GB and 32 GB are more useful and cheaper.

mcsmooth
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
^ And since the output is only going to be 8 bit, I would think you just buy a P2 cam if you really need 4:2:2 (or external recording). So yeah, you buy this cam to embrace the SD cards and the small file sizes. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of HDMI recorders pop up over the next few years.