PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Confusion

Attic6
01-20-2009, 02:57 AM
Right, went to a shiny TV shop yesterday to buy an HDMI cable incase i ever need it. So i asked the guy there if i could plug my camera into a tv to watch some stuff and check how a fancy tv does justive to my new camera.

It looks crap! horrible digital breakup, not squares or what i'm used to but just like big funny bits of what looks like digital noise "II"'s in all the flat color areas of the picture.

Ok i might be being really stupid, but i checked all the playback setting and set them to both "fix" and "auto" no difference, tried playing back off card and pointing at stuff in the store, no change at all.
even tried the $4,000 tv right in front???

Prehaps there is something wrong with the cable??? i'm confused

So if anyone know what on earth is going on i'd love to hear from you.

thanks

jimmy

Everts
01-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Mine works fine got one from BH cant find the link but its version 1.3b.
My hdtv 's sharpness was set to medium ( zero))and had a noise pattern all over the image.I had to turn it all the way down to negative 50, this ofcourse depends on your HDTV menusettings. Thanks Edweirdo again for the tip.
Hopes this helps :)

ilauzirika
01-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Sharpness can be the problem. Usually the tv's in shops have the sharpness crancked all the way up, and that in my opinion messes all the images and everything looks like crap....

Attic6
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys, just re-re-re-re-read the manual and it says that i should put those ferrite magnets on HDMI cables, prehaps there was a super amount of interference with 100 tv all joined together via power and component in the store all around me...

I'll wrestle the sharpness next time i find an eager salesman...

rad

Ed Kishel
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
on these TVs- "sharpness" = "noise enhancement". Its taking what little noise there is in a properly shot 150 clip and putting it into maximum overdrive

Attic6
01-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Went through to one of the production companies i shoot for and p[lugged in there to brag about my camera. (they still shoot on pd170's!) and it worked perfect. I have put some of those magnets on each end of the cable. and i also tested the component cable. They both look super hot!!!
Needless to say they were suitably impressed and immediately booked me to shoot a week long bmx/skate/wakeboard road trip.

So it pays to buy a hmc and to put magnets on your cables.

Oh yes i also turned to sharpness down to about 1/4 to 1/3 from the bottom of the setting.

I'm amused Edwierdo that you presume i had a "properly shot 150 clip" :-)

thanks guys