PDA

View Full Version : young and new film maker looking for a camera

KyW
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
This is my first post on dvxuser! I have been looking for a film making forum for months now, and just now have come across this! I am so greatful and excited.. :)

I have been making videos over the last 2 years and have come to the point where an upgrade to a prosumer camera is almost neccesary. I am only 16, and have to pay for all sorts of expenses such as car, insurance and skateboards. So to get to the point, I am looking for a VERY cheap camera that still has the manual controls to get me started in professional film making. I am on a budget of about 2000 and am not settling for a Standard Def camera

I am sure you guys get people like me posting like this alot, but real advice from real people is always the best. So I have a few questions..

1) Whats the scoop on the Sony HDR FX7? yay or nay? I cant tell because alot of people like it, and alot of people dont.. but it seems to be a reasonable, cheap decent camera and it seems to be the only HD prosumer camera in its price range.

2) I love taking video and creating a film look, how shallow of depth of field can video cameras such as the fx7 get? Would I be expecting to much?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks!

NorthernFilmMaker
01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Welcome to Dvxuser, you'll find this site to be very helpful... So, you are looking at getting a decent HD camera all for under 2k correct? Now, is that 2k for camera alone or have you factored in Batteries, mic, accessories? If you're planning on getting camera and accessories all for under 2k then one camera comes to mind. It's the Canon HV40. You can get the camera, for about $800 and then buy a nice little Mic, tripod, extra battery, and Cineform Neo HDV to convert HDV to AVI, and to remove pulldown making it true 24p footage. I'm sure you can get all that for under 2k. Check out vimeo HD and search the videos for HV20, HV30 footage.... The three camera models are basically the same camera... Just updated, anyways... Check it out for yourself at vimeo, and there's also a website dedicated to the HV20. www.hv20.com there are a few different cams out there that would produce very good footage so ultimately the decision is yours. I own the hv20 and I'm always blown away by the quality of that camera. Hope this helps and good luck choosing

kiyong
01-20-2009, 04:29 PM
i agree with the used hv20 recommendation. a lot of people buy that and then get a 35mm adapter to get the nice depth of field, and then when they upgrade at some point, they can swap out the hv20 with a better camera like the xh a1 and still use the 35mm lenses.

NorthernFilmMaker
01-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry about the misqoute, when I bought my Canon HV20 it was $800 in Canada. I was looking at B&H photo and they have the new Canon HV30 listed for $599 (new).

KyW
01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have used the HV30 before and found it to be a great camera, how is the manual functions on it? The thing I like best about the prosumer cameras is the focus and zoom rings on the lens, but I suppose that is where a 35mm adapter can come into play. Also, can you tell the difference between 3 sensors and 1? Someone had told me before there is an actual noticeable difference.

I was snooping around at prices and found a few retailers that sell the HV30 on ebay new with all sorts of accesories such as tripods, lenses, filters and tapes.. The price is about the same as the camera alone on other sites, and with plenty of positive satisfaction reviews from customers. This seems to be the way to go, am i missing something? And what about the cheap $100 35mm converters on ebay? I am not looking for perfection, just something to get me into the swing. I am just a kid looking to persue a hobby =p

Thanks again!

NorthernFilmMaker
01-20-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't personally use an adapter but I can recommend a really great tripod... Silky smooth action... It's the Velbon DV-7000. Can't say enough about the quality of that tripod. I'm not too sure about the bundled accessories, all the included stuff may not be good quality items..

rustyschramm
01-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I was snooping around at prices and found a few retailers that sell the HV30 on ebay new with all sorts of accesories such as tripods, lenses, filters and tapes.. The price is about the same as the camera alone on other sites, and with plenty of positive satisfaction reviews from customers. This seems to be the way to go, am i missing something?

www.resellersratings.com check with them b4 you buy!!!

Shibuya Oboya
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
it's more important to buy from an authorized dealer like B&H, than to get a few extras packed along. you're going to need a solid tripod with a fluid head anyway. the free ones tend to be very flexible, legs bend, which does not make for good camera work.