PDA

View Full Version : Living with 30p (5d2 and Ex1)

morgan_moore
01-15-2009, 11:25 PM
So the 5d IS 30p

I am going to be using it as B camera to an Ex1

Lets face it - Im not likely to be shooting broadcast - although some of my stuff may end being shown at tradeshows or in foyers or free DVDs given out by clients to potential customers

I am in PAL land

I adhere to the concept that clients wont really tell the difference if the content is good and the footage runs smoothly without flickering, juddering, smearing or other technical issues

A side note I have a Photon Beard Ballasted Flouro light to brighten my set up shots

----

What workflow should I use,

Seems the options are to

Shoot EX1, 25p and correct the 5d2 to 25p (best method?)

or

Just put em all on 30p for a nice consistent look and simpler workflow and maybe reconvert the whole finished product should that be required

Comments please

SMM

Emanuel
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Follow the (3) links from here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1521606#post1521606

Hope this helps.

morgan_moore
01-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Thanks - those seem to say 30p allround and do a final conversion if required

Im not too bothered about the 'look' just technical stability

p.s. I do search before I post !

S

Emanuel
01-16-2009, 12:44 AM
You're welcome. Pay attention to the mthomas' words:

«Other than that, the Canon wins. Let's hope Canon does the right thing with a Firmware upgrade to fix these needs. If so, the EX1 is history.»

[ 2nd link from that post:

http://cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=402#p4222 ]

I don't have the Sony even though I am its fan and love, that is, I am buying the Canon. Nevertheless, he has no doubts he'd rather the Canon than Sony for some purpose. And on the 30p --> 29.97 route pending of and on the distribution.

And further 24p conversions don't bother him. Me either. At least, theoretically -- after my search. We'll see in the field.

E. :-)

danap
01-17-2009, 03:47 AM
«Other than that, the Canon wins. Let's hope Canon does the right thing with a Firmware upgrade to fix these needs. If so, the EX1 is history.»I think this statement is slightly over-optimistic. There is more than the "firmware" issue in the ergonomic and picture-related differences between Canon 5D mark II and Sony PMW XDCAM EX EX1 and EX3. The 5D picture can be gorgeous under certain conditions at a significant practical price for the shooter. Whatever one may fantasy over in terms of hidden virtues of the 5D, in the field ,the ergonomy of the EX1 and EX3 wins hands-down. That said, the 5D has also definite practical advantages, which a regular pro cam does not have.

The moral of the story may be: let's enjoy the best from both world and stop think the grass (green channel ah ah :zombie_smiley:) is greener on the side of the fence.

As we say in my still non- extinct tribal vernacular: Vive la différence !

See the post for more details on this comparison:
Canon 5D MK2 or Sony EX1? (http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=402&p=4956#p4956)

morgan_moore
01-18-2009, 12:32 AM
I am not sure how the 5d has ergonomic disadvantage over a EX1 with a LX attached

That is the least ergonomic platform I know

Wont go on shoulder, too heavy to hand hold, heavy enough to require a multi thousand steadicam

Ie tripod only

A naked Ex1 is a different ergonomic proposition - just the very 'video' in appearance

S