PDA

View Full Version : Pal/Ntsc HVX

oreo5000
01-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Hi Guys,
Im pretty new to video so bare with me.
I live in the UK and im looking at shooting a short film in HD.
I am looking at purchasing a HVX200, or the new HVX171.

I originally intended to shoot with 720@24p with a 35mm adapter.
But now im a little confused by the whole Pal vs Ntsc situation.
If I shoot at this setting am I going to run into playback issues? Im guessing it doesnt make a difference on a HDTV or PC monitor, but what about SD tv's?
What happens to 24p when its played back on NTSC (30?) and PAL (25i?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

lawriejaffa
01-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Oreo why the heck are you intending to buy an NTSC camera if your from the UK!? WHY *drumroll* WHHHHYYY?

Lets first get rid of any misconceptions - are you wanting to get one because its 24p and you think that delivers the magic mojo and 25p doesnt? Do you realise there is no discernable difference and that actual film is shot on uk movies at 25 frames too!!

Or is it because you hope a USA cam is cheaper (in that case you can save a bit - less of an advantage now between the $ and .

If your doing anything for corporate or commercial clients to make a bit of money on the side you'll have trouble there too.

Its not worth it - perhaps explain why insane reason you have for wanting an NTSC cam in PAL land? ;)

oreo5000
01-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Oreo why the heck are you intending to buy an NTSC camera if your from the UK!? WHY *drumroll* WHHHHYYY?...
Hi Lawrie.
Im not intending to purchase NTSC at all.
Sorry I maybe didnt make it clear what im asking.
My camera will be PAL.
My question was more this..
If I shoot 25p PAL then I can watch it on my sdtv, my hdtv and my pc monitor in the uk. But what happens when this is played back on NTSC equipment? Would I have to export my projects differently, and if so where do the extra frames come from?

Also, if I shoot 25p and it goes out to film (24p) what effect does this have on playback, if any?

Thanks again

Everts
01-11-2009, 08:47 AM
if you purchase the hpx 171 the camera will be pal / ntsc switchable ( sigh, panasonic)
you will be able to record 720 24p as 720 25p and every other format known to pal /ntsc.

Just thought you should know.

How would you deliver the movie; dvd , bluray, dvcam etc?

oreo5000
01-11-2009, 08:50 AM
if you purchase the hpx 171 the camera will be pal / ntsc switchable ( sigh, panasonic)
you will be able to record 720 24p as 720 25p and every other format known to pal /ntsc.

Just thought you should know.

How would you deliver the movie; dvd , bluray, dvcam etc?
Wow, thanks Everts, that is great news!
Not sure on the end result to be honest, at this point it will first be shown on the web and on projectors or a large hdtv. So I guess I could go out MP4 and play it on a PS3 in HD? Any advice here?

oreo5000
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Oreo why the heck are you intending to buy an NTSC camera if your from the UK!? WHY *drumroll* WHHHHYYY?...
Also Lawrie I find it pretty amusing that you have posted this response to me when you yourself put a post on here asking about buying an NTSC HVX!