PDA

View Full Version : on camera lighting for the HMC150

Strobe Media
01-04-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm buying the hmc150 in a few days, and i shoot skateboarding a lot, and i hear this has great low light capabilities. Right now i have a bescor 20/40watt on camera light. I'd like to downsize to a Sony 10/20watt, will this be enough you think? I just hate having the huge battery at my side while shooting and just something that's completely on the cold shoe would work better but if it's not enough light then it isn't worth it.

studio1972
01-04-2009, 04:49 PM
You could try the Litepanel Micro?

Thomas Lew
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
You need an on camera light for skateboarding? Haven't seen that before. That helps I guess? Maybe shooting in doors in a skate park or something.

Strobe Media
01-04-2009, 07:39 PM
either in a skate park or shooting at night time

BrianMurphy
01-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Most on camera lights that don't require a battery pack (like the one you just sold) don't kick out much light. The litepanel and other versions are fine for interviews or action six to eight feet from the lens but not much more if that much depending on available light. I use a pricey Zylight Z90 and it works well for my work but needs a pack. I tried all of the non-pack/on camera lighting options and they were not punchy enough for my need of two to three people on cam. Just my experience but if you are looking for light to shoot skaters ....skating...and not just talking ...could be tough.
For what its worth I picked up a couple of Cool-Lux fixtures on ebay for very little money and have used them on small light stands with Portable Li-Poly Batteries. Two light up a large area, I used them to capture street performers at night. Everything fits in a backpack. I can time how long one light lasts on a charge if you are interested.
Brian

Strobe Media
01-05-2009, 10:16 AM
i'm looking to use this for strickly fisheye shots, which i will be up close, there's no way i'm expecting a $100 light to blast out enough to light up a long lens shot.

BrianMurphy
01-05-2009, 11:40 AM
i'm looking to use this for strickly fisheye shots, which i will be up close, there's no way i'm expecting a $100 light to blast out enough to light up a long lens shot.

Well maybe next time you will explain what your needs/shots are off the top,

Justyn
01-05-2009, 12:33 PM
what I love are the really cheap camping ring LED lights. You can find them for 7 bucks... put one on your shotgun mike.. then make a harness to have two more.. Can't beat it...

This is how we did the overhead lighting on this: http://www.electriccowtheater.com/NWC/NWC150t.mov

studio1972
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM

Most lights might have a problem with this as the beam tends to be just wide enough for a wide angle when a diffuser is fitted, but not wide enough for fisheye shots. I think the Litepanel I suggested would struggle with that.