PDA

View Full Version : General Technical Questions

craigsbrain
01-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Scene Files:

is it that there are simply different number settings for each of the scene files parameters - in other words if you set all the parameters to the same number in each scene file would all the scene files would be identical?

or...

is it that each scene file has it's own unique look and all are all alterable by the same parameters however in this case, if you set all the parameters to the same number in every scene file, each scene file will still maintain it's own unique look?

Once I adjust the settings on a Scene File, do I have to save it? - I mean if I tweak F5 or F6, for example, and then shut off the camera, are my settings saved indefinitely?

25P:

Why would one shoot 720 25P over 1080 25P?

Depth of Field:

Will any settings in particular improve it?

Noise:

What's the best way to reduce it? (detail coring?)

thanks

craig

Evro
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Scene Files:
is it that there are simply different number settings for each of the scene files parameters - in other words if you set all the parameters to the same number in each scene file would all the scene files would be identical?Correct!!

Once I adjust the settings on a Scene File, do I have to save it? - I mean if I tweak F5 or F6, for example, and then shut off the camera, are my settings saved indefinitely?Any changes to the pre-set files are stored indefinitely or at least until the internal backup battery runs out.

25P:

Why would one shoot 720 25P over 1080 25P?
There is no 1080 25P only 1080 50i - 25P is only available in the 720 resolution on the HMC.

Depth of Field:

Will any settings in particular improve it?
By improve do you mean lessen the DOF? One sure fire way to achieve shallow DOF is to keep your aperture fully open, zoom in & move closer to your point of interest.

Averdahl
01-04-2009, 02:17 AM
There is no 1080 25P only 1080 50i - 25P is only available in the 720 resolution on the HMC.
On my HMC151 i can record PH 1080 25P. So yes, 1080 25P is aviable. :)

/Roger

ilauzirika
01-04-2009, 03:13 AM
My hmc151 also has it.

JonathanS
01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm also shooting 1080p25 on a UK-spec HMC151.

In principle, I think I agree that 720 looks almost as good as 1080 on this camera, and that it gives the codec a little more headroom for fast movement. Also, since I'm transcoding to ProRes to edit, I'd save considerable disk space (and render time?) by shooting 720.

In practice, it doesn't work for me at the moment, as the transcoded footage glitches badly. So I'm shooting 1080p25, and loving it regardless. Works for me.

I've no good advice to offer regarding scene files. That's all a bit of a mystery to me still, though I have started wading through the still-in-progress scene file manual available from the PASS website, once you've registered your camera.

Evro
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
My apologies, the 152 also shoots in 1080 25P when using PH mode :thumbsup:

craigsbrain
01-07-2009, 03:27 AM
thanks for all the replies

shallow dof doesn't seem that good even with iris fully open - any other suggestions as to how i might improve this?

thanks again

craig

Everts
01-07-2009, 04:19 AM

shallow dof doesn't seem that good even with iris fully open - any other suggestions as to how i might improve this?

thanks again

craig

It depends on how far away your standing from your subject/ point of interest.

To get some nice dof I have to stand fully zoomed 6-7meters away from poi , that would be around 18 - 23 feet (conversion googled). This is a medium size to closeup shot for "peoples". You will need a tripod.

Mark Von Lanken
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Craig,

Everts is right, you do have to be zoomed in with the iris wide open, but I have gotten some really sweet shallow DoF shots with the camera.

studio1972
01-08-2009, 04:58 AM

thanks again

craig

Buy a RNG35 (or other adapter) and an f1.4 prime lens (I would recommend getting some support rails etc as well). DoF is shallower for larger sensor cameras (in the same shooting situation), with an adapter you effectively have a 35mm sensor instead of a 1/3 inch one.