PDA

View Full Version : 5DmkII-simple, cheap but EFFECTIVE focusing solution

david_p
12-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Hoodman is coming out with a new attachment that will work on DSLR's that will attach a 3" loupe to the back of the bodies LCD. i have one on order but it wont be shipping until the first few weeks of January.

due to lack of patience i bought a Hoodloupe 3.0 today just to see how this might work....and i have to say its works darn good IMO. a little better than the EX-1 eyepiece, although i do miss that "peaking" feature on the EX-1.

here is some photos of how i got it attached to the 5DmkII **without** using any adhesives. mind you, its not pretty but darker rubber bands would look a little less silly of course.

http://homepage.mac.com/megapixeldave/.Pictures/5DmkII%20Hoodloupe/5DmkII%20hoodloupe%20attached.jpg

thanks,
david
www.davidprobst.com

Lee Wilson
01-02-2009, 04:47 PM
The x10 focus function works very well by itself.

david_p
01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
The x10 focus function works very well by itself.

yes it does but only to check "static" subjects. it doesnt help you in the least once you or your subject moves an inch or two when shooting shallow. x10 zoom does give you a perfect focused reference point from which to start though.

david
www.davidprobst.com

mpalmer12345
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, I tried this with an old loupe I had laying around, and it works great!

david_p
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Wow, I tried this with an old loupe I had laying around, and it works great!

just to be clear, the Hoodloupe doesnt seem to "magnify" the image like a photographers loupe but simple lets your eye "focus" at a close distance of around 2.5-3 inches.

before i bought this thing i also tried my old Agfa 8x loupe and although it did basically what the Hoodloupe did (except cover the whole LCD of course)...it magnified the image so much that that i could see the pixel elements of the LCD and that was distracting to me.

one slight gripe i have with the Hoodloupe is that i need to take off my glasses in order to get close on the eyepiece so i can see the whole LCD. Hoodman said that there was going to be a softer eyepiece but i didnt get much of an impression that it will be much different in design beside softer only. i should have asked a few more questions. it would be nice if the diameter of the eyepiece is larger in diameter allowing a fuller field of view but still being back a half an inch or so due to wearing glasses.

on another note...i am not really expecting Canon to offer any of the firmware wish lists that many people are hoping for...24p, manual control, etc but one i dont hear very often is to have a "peaking" feature like many cameras have. i use this a lot on the EX-1 and find it very useful. unfortunetly i dont see any of these feature ever seeing he light of day....bummer.

thanks
david
www.davidprobst.com