PDA

View Full Version : Is the HMC-150 HDMI configurable?

spikiedan
12-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi all,
I plan on purchasing an HMC-150 in the near future but have a question as to whether my current setup will work....

Current setup: I have a DVI->fiber and a fiber->DVI converter to extend the output of the live video from the camera to a capture station about 300ft away. I would like to use the HDMI output of the HMC-150 to broadcast to a PC capture card (BlackMagic Intensity Pro). The capture would be done using the BM or similar codec as to not need a fast RAID setup.

In order to do this, I need to use the fiber extender to get the distance I need....and that only has a DVI connector. So I plan on using two DVI->HDMI connectors (one on cam side of fiber converter and the other on capture side of the converter). If the fiber converter is transparent to the transmission, you can think of it as an HDMI->DVI cable connected directly to a DVI->HDMI cable. The problem is, I'm not sure whether the fiber converter cares about the actual *DVI* data format or just passes the data that is on the TMDS lines verbatim (i.e. just doing an electrical to optical conversion plus the multiplexing of the TMDS & DDC lines onto the single fiber). I have no care for audio so losing that over the DVI converter is perfectly fine.

If the fiber converter does care that the DVI I/O is exactly to DVI spec, I'd need to have the camera output using the RGB colorspace instead of YCrCb. SO, here's the question: Does the HMC-150 support switching colorspaces?

My guess is no.

This may be a moot point because I don't see why the fiber converter will care what data is present on the HDMI/DVI lines but who knows what they do internally.. I'm still waiting for an answer from the fiber converter vendor but in the meantime I figured I'd throw this one out to you guys. Plus, once I get an answer (from the forum or from the fiber converter vendor) hopefully it will help someone else in a similar situation.

A similar question: Does anyone know whether the HMC-150 uses EDID data to configure the link? Or does the HDMI port merely blast out what it gets from the CCDs + any HDMI settings done in the menu configuration? In other words, if I were to connect the HDMI output of the camera to a *DVI* monitor, would it be able to establish a link (assuming the monitor supported the resolution & frame rate)?

Some other notes/background:
I realize that technically & electrically a DVI cable can carry YCrCb and that its a matter of whether both ends support this mode (since it's not really DVI spec anymore)...that's what I'm banking on. My main concern is whether the fiber converter cares..

HD-SDI (i.e. HPX-170) is not an option for this project since the fiber converters, capture cards, etc are not within the budget. I do have another project using the AK-HC1500G (http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=97539&catGroupId=14572&surfModel=AK-HC1500G) and will use an HD-SDI solution.

Thanks for any insight/comments/constructive criticisms/etc!

:dankk2:Dan

BTW, I tried searching the forums but unfortunately "DVI" and "RGB" are too short to be search terms.

Kit_L
12-31-2008, 03:36 PM
spike_d

see the post here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=156457

second post down---looks like you might be able to use the HDMI port the way you want, depending on how you record this output. Keep us posted!

HNY!