PDA

View Full Version : HMC 152 arrived today; first impressions

Kit_L
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM
The camera is light, and large enough for me (considering I am coming from a JVC GY-500 SD camera; heavy, pro, shoulder mount form factor).

The 28mm EFOV is wide, and wide enough for my work; significant barrel distortion however. Not in the same league as the HV-30 plus wide angle though (looks like a fisheye, almost!) so I can live with this.

The zoom range is excellent for my work

Transferring the 720p50 footage into FCP 6.0.5 was completely uneventful, and I was able to mark in and out points, too, with no problem. Frame accurate. This is exciting, because 720p50 is perfect for my work. Next week I will shoot someone climbing a rope and swinging a kettlebell (lots of human-scale movement) and post a few clips on Vimeo.

The resulting Apple Pro Res files are about three times the size of the captured clips. My clips were only 30" long, but (and I will time this more accurately later), my impression is that the transcoding from the Log and Transfer window is about 0.5x real time (in other words, it took FCP ~15" to transcode a 30" clip). My G5 is a quad core, for reference. It seems as though you can view, select, mark In and Out points, and batch import (transcode) so I am happy with this work flow.

I do not have an HD monitor yet, but from what I see in the viewer at 100% on my 30" Apple monitir, this is better resolution that I have seen so far in the video world (again, my world, so only the GY-500 and the Canon HV-30 to compare).

I am amazed that the AF works so well.

I have not changed any of the scene parameters yet; I will do a search on the forum later for recommendations.

Some questions: does anyone know if there is a flat lens cap and a cap for the viewfinder (or some way of protecting the glass element)? I need to carry the camera on board, and those items will be necessary to reduce the size for carry-on. I know that any 77mm stills cap will fit the main lens, but the how to protect the finder glass is not so obvious.

If anyone can direct me to URLs for setting up the camera (while I wait for Barry's HVX book to arrive) I'll be grateful.

Very happy so far. Best wishes for the New Year to all, kl

BTW, how do I upload screen shots from my editor?

TKS

Hidef1080
12-31-2008, 03:46 AM
I don't know if this is what you are looking for but once you sign up for the HMC-150 3 year warranty you can log onto Panasonic's website and they have a PDF called Professional Scene File Settings.
It's chapters 1 to 6 that cover the factory scene files and their settings and there are some “chapters” on knee, gamma, coring, detail and DRS.

Chapters 7 to 12 [I believe] will cover the remaining settings.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/pass_e/

Kit_L
12-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Thank you for that HD1080 (shouldn't that be 720p?)

cheers and Happy New Year!

Hidef1080
12-31-2008, 07:06 AM
Thank you for that HD1080 (shouldn't that be 720p?)

cheers and Happy New Year!

You know I've been shooting more and more 720p so a name change may be in order!!:beer:

David Saraceno
12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Does " " " mean minutes in ACT?

Kit_L
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
David,

If immediately following a number, " means seconds (as in 30"); single quote marks means minutes---or were you kidding?

BTW, do you have, or are you planning, an FCP Studio workflow DVD for the 150? I would be very interested in one of these. I have been an SD editor, shooter, and DVD author since FCP 2 through 4.5, but much has changed and there is always efficiencies to be had, with the right advice.

And can someone explain how to upload a screen shot? Or do I post an image on (say) Flicker, and then use the 'post URL' command? Happy New Year to all, kl

Everts
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
\
insert image next to the "earth" link icon.

David Saraceno
12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
If immediately following a number, " means seconds (as in 30"); single quote marks means minutes---or were you kidding?

No, in the US, it means inches.

BTW, do you have, or are you planning, an FCP Studio workflow DVD for the 150? I would be very interested in one of these. I have been an SD editor, shooter, and DVD author since FCP 2 through 4.5, but much has changed and there is always efficiencies to be had, with the right advice.

Happy to do one, because we are much impressed with the 150 and it compliments our 170 very well.

We are however suffering under 60" (inches) of snow here and there isn't much footage to take. Soon I'll get some colorful basketball footage and perhaps we can create a stickie.

And can someone explain how to upload a screen shot? Or do I post an image on (say) Flicker, and then use the 'post URL' command? Happy New Year to all, kl

Go to Member Upload Center and there are instructions there.