PDA

View Full Version : A good HMC vs. HVX comparison yet?

seven.b
12-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Hey everyone...

I'm wondering if there is any good HVX200a versus HMC150 footage out there?

I saw this, but I don't think it is the greatest tool for seeing the difference between the hvx and hmc cameras.. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=152506

I understand these cameras are very close, but I couldn't imagine Panasonic releasing a camera that is nearly half the cost of the HVX and having just as good as a picture...

So what's your say? Exactly the same? Too close to notice? Would you notice the difference in the colorspace from the HVX to HMC?

Thanks.

ullanta
12-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I understand these cameras are very close, but I couldn't imagine Panasonic releasing a camera that is nearly half the cost of the HVX and having just as good as a picture...

Imagine away; that's what they did.

I have an HVX, not "a"; and I've done brief comparisons between the HMC and the HPX170.

Certainly the HMC is far ahead of the original HVX; and pretty much on-par with the HPX170.

There are compression/format differences which I'd say favor the image of one over the other in different circumstances. I'd say that in 1080, the 4:2:2 and intraframe codec of the HVX/HPX likely have some advantage for post-manipulability.

However, I think features other than image quality are really where the differences between these cams are... the images are extremely close. P2, variable frame rates, timelapse, etc, are the real distinguishing features.