PDA

View Full Version : I just bought an HMC152 today; thanks everyone here

Kit_L
12-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I got the larger battery, and two 16G cards came with it (the promotion ends in a week).

My reasons for buying this particular camera, in brief:

1. The small form factor: I have to travel overseas for my work regularly, and the camera I wanted (JVC GYHD-200) is just too big for carry-on. The 150 will fit in a carry one, with my radio mics.

2. The camera will shoot 720p25 and 50---I would have preferred 60fps, but 50 is the highest fps on this model. I do not know how Final Cut Pro will handle this (Evro posted that his NLE had real problems with this speed). And maybe a hack might unlock higher rates---I will be checking back here daily!

3. The focus assist modes, and the reports that you *can* actually focus using the LCD; again, for travel reasons, one less bit of gear to carry.

4. 28mm EFOV (do you use that expression in video-land?) Equivalent Field Of View; made in comparison with the 135 film format. 28mm is just wide enough for interiors, and saves fitting one of those barrel-distortion monster wide lenses (which always seem to unbalance the camera, to boot).

I have a few questions: I will test the 50fps frame rate thoroughly and see how it handles motion---I am hopeful. I wonder, though, how YouTube will handle this---the paucity of information on their site is woeful.

Can anyone recommend a shoulder mount for this camera? I have a decent tripod, but if I can leave it at home as well... all the better.

Again, my thanks to all here. The contenders, BTW, were a used EX1, a new 200A, and a new 170. The EX1 requires the footage to be 'unwrapped', so compared with the transcoding the 150 requires, a draw for me (although I am sure the transcoding will take longer). As well, the EX1 is 32.5 EFOV vs. 28---that's a lot on the wide end, and I mostly shoot interiors.

The 200A and the 170 are P2 cameras for HD---so the cost of the camera does not reflect the real cost (and a FireStore, the alternative, also adds significantly to the cost). And the 200A has the same wide end as the EX1. The 170 is significantly more expensive, as well as the P2 overhead.

In the end, the HMC152 won the day. Thanks to all once more; this forum is a gold mine of info. I hope to add a few titbits on the editing side (FCP 6.0.5). cheers, kl

edy4eva
12-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Congrats on the purchase. I hope you got a good deal on it (like I did).
I am in Canberra too btw :)

I was looking at shoulder mounts, and came across Shape WLB (they're in Canada). The model I am thinking of getting is Spider-2 (http://shapewlb.com/) only in French at the moment. But they have an ebay store.

Kit_L
12-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Hello edy4

Get in touch some time; my studio is in Kambah. That shoulder mount looks good, and they are very reasonably priced, too. cheers, kl

davdav
12-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi guys, I'm really curious, how much did you get the camera for? I am really hanging out on buying one, but I would really appreciate knowing the good deal you got... if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers.

edy4eva
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
No probs at all, I got the cam for 5200inc including a large battery pack (and the 2 SD's)

Kit_L
12-25-2008, 04:01 AM
Lucky you; I paid $5,600 AUD (less than the B&H price, converted, adding the 10% GST, and not including the Customs and AQUIS charges!) and that price included the extra (big) battery and the two free 16G cards. I went back to Stefan and bought two more 16G Panasonic cards, making four in all. A decent price for a fully-warranteed (3 years) camera.

With the AUD tanking against the USD, a very good deal. According to Panasonic, prices in Australia are going up ~30% in January. Could be a sale pitch; let's see.

Happy Christmas everyone; best wishes for the New Year.

edy4eva
12-25-2008, 04:53 AM
Hey kl,
I have been looking at sabilisers. The one that got my attention the most is the Varizoom Pro Lite. It comes with a 7'inch lcd/batter pack, and have seen the result. Quite like it. The only problem is the price (at about 3800US plus plus ) it's a bit steep.

What are your suggestions for something comparable to Varizoom's?
Also, how are you going with the workflow? The 1080p are playing choppy on Edius. I had to downconvert to 720p to be able to edit comfortably.

edy4eva
12-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Also, that's a good price, given you've got 4 x 16GB's

davdav
12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks edy4eva and Kit-L.

I think I'll be buying the camera very soon. Can you give me advice about what filter you purchased for the camera?

And Happy New Year!

Kit_L
12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello edy4

That's a serious-looking stabiliser, for sure. I have not looked into these yet, because most of my work will be off either a tripod or a shoulder mount.

davdav: no filters yet (there are three ND filters built in) but expect to get a polarising filter.

Happy New Year to all. kl

Charles2009
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I hope you got a good deal on it (like I did).
I am in Canberra too btw :)

I was looking at shoulder mounts, and came across Shape WLB (they're in Canada). The model I am thinking of getting is Spider-2 (http://shapewlb.com/) only in French at the moment. But they have an ebay store.

Hello,

Just to let you know that there is now an english version of our web site (http://shapewlb.com). Also, our web site now has a new look, vastly better than the old look :-)

Regards,

Charles