PDA

View Full Version : Lens wobble isue???

sewolla
12-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I just shot my daughters school band Holiday Concert, and had my HMC150 mounted on my tripod, with the OIS off.

I noticed that the cam was VERY sensitive to the touch, it was difficult to even manually zoom without the lens wobbling in its housing. In fact if I lightly tapped on the cam while shooting, the lens would wobble in its housing. Never had that happen before on my A1. Is this a malfunctioning of the cam, or is this typical? In cannot believe this is how it's suposed to function, its way too unstable to use.
SW:(

Hidef1080
12-19-2008, 04:33 AM
There was a known issue with the 170 and a debate about it with the 150 but it does sound like you may have a problem.

The only time I saw my image wobble was with IS on and the camera placed on a tripod, then I had to do some type of pan to see it.

On a tripod with IS off like you did, I could not get the “wobble” so again it's possible that you may have something going on.

SteffenUp
12-19-2008, 07:34 AM
hey,

i have a new (3 days old) HMC-151 with a massive wobble issue like the 170 :evil:
I called the PanasonicBroadcast Service in Germany.
They were not astonished about this problem and said it will be fixed within 5 days
(AVCCAM-Warranty Programm)

I also asked whether the problem at the 150s is known. They could not give me a clear answer about it, hmmm
I think there is a wobble-problem but not with all 150/151 models...

Sorry for my bad english..

regards,
Steffen

Evro
12-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Both models have the wobble issue you talk about, however, because the issue was noted in the 170 first they actually began modifying the 150 before shipment. You probably received one that was unmodified. Panasonic Australia corrected the problem on every camera before shipping to local end users.

On a side note: The image and not the lens itself will occasionally exhibit a slight movement while the camera is stationary on a tripod and OIS is enabled (I found that out when I accidentally left OIS on while doing a faux timelapse one evening) however this has nothing to do with the original lens wobble issue, it is normal for the image to shift in that situation, hence why it's advised to remove OIS when shooting on a tripod ;)

Thomas Lew
12-19-2008, 02:02 PM
How do you access the OIS?

Evro
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
It appears in the lower bank of buttons when you swing open the LCD :)

Thomas Lew
12-19-2008, 04:19 PM
and there it is!

sewolla
12-19-2008, 11:18 PM
I need to do some more analysis here--just want to be sure that its the cam, not a cam support issue.
But if it is a cam isue, is there a service center near LA to send it to? What was the process for correcting this issue on the 170?

some1shero
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I need to do some more analysis here--just want to be sure that its the cam, not a cam support issue.
But if it is a cam isue, is there a service center near LA to send it to? What was the process for correcting this issue on the 170?

The closest one is in Kansas. The operator was very friendly and offered me reassurance that the problem of the wobble lens is covered under your warranty. Make sure you enclose a copy of your bill of sales for warranty coverage.

Panasonic Broadcast
DV Service Center
14212 Overbrook
Leawood, KS 66224
800-491-9986