PDA

View Full Version : First good clip I've made with 5D2

PaulM
12-18-2008, 10:39 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/2568049

One of the coolest things about this clip is the frame where the other photographer's strobe went off--my frame ended up crystal clear!

Emanuel
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
What aperture, shutter speed and ISO did you use?

PaulM
12-18-2008, 11:37 PM
What aperture, shutter speed and ISO did you use?

f/4, ISO ?, 1/30, I think, considering the motion blur and the fact that the strobe was almost in sync.

At 1/60 strobes never come as close to syncing, due to the rolling shutter.

The rolling shutter takes slightly less than 1/30 seconds to scan the sensor, so when using the longest available shutter speed, 1/30, there is a brief moment where all the pixels are integrating simultaneously.

If the flash goes off during that moment, all the pixels are capable of receiving said light, with no temporal disparity between the top and bottom of the image.

I am interested in some kind of shutter that can block the light from the sensor for all but that brief period when all the pixels are integrating simultaneously.

I believe liquid crystal shuttering may be an excellent option. PSTC liquid crystal shutters look particularly interesting.

Gordon Prince
12-19-2008, 12:44 AM
f/4, ISO ?, 1/30, I think, considering the motion blur and the fact that the strobe was almost in sync.What do you mean with sync?

At 1/60 strobes never come as close to syncing, due to the rolling shutter.

The rolling shutter takes slightly less than 1/30 seconds to scan the sensor, so when using the longest available shutter speed, 1/30, there is a brief moment where all the pixels are integrating simultaneously.

If the flash goes off during that moment, all the pixels are capable of receiving said light, with no temporal disparity between the top and bottom of the image.

I am interested in some kind of shutter that can block the light from the sensor for all but that brief period when all the pixels are integrating simultaneously.

>> The rolling shutter takes slightly less than 1/30 seconds to scan the sensor, so when using the longest available shutter speed, 1/30, there is a brief moment where all the pixels are integrating simultaneously. <<

Do you mean that the rolling shutter takes less than 1/30 between 1/30 and 1/40?

Do you prefer 1/30 seconds than 1/60 for 30p?
I thought 1/60th shutter would be better because it would keep the 180ēdegrees-24p ratio at 1/48.