PDA

View Full Version : Incompatible Media - HMC150 stops recording at 24 minute mark

TheGuitarzan
12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I was shooting a program today and since getting my HMC150 this was the longest continuous shot I had yet captured. (Most of my recorded clips to this point have been 1-4 minutes per clip.)

The HMC150 was on a tripod, unmanned, while I attended to the 2nd camera and roamed around.

After the program I worked my way back to the HMC150 and discovered the message "Incompatible Media" on this display and the camera had stopped recording.

I was shooting with a new 16GB, class 6, SDHC media card.

I have never seen such an error message before and am now scared to death to shoot unmanned again.

Has anyone ever seen this error message?

I guess I'm going to need to run some tests.

I forget the brand of media card I used, but I've been using them for a while and have never had a problem.

THE GOOD NEWS is that I DID capture the entire show and that this message (and recording stop) occurred as I was working my way back to my camera.

I pressed RECORD again and the camera started recording again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

matt s.
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you format the card in the camera?

Thomas Lew
12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you format the card in the camera?

edit: lol matt... we posted at the same time the same thing

matt s.
12-17-2008, 02:39 PM
haha thats pretty weird!

edy4eva
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Someone mentioned here a 4GB file limit? could this be it? I am not sure if this is a real limitation.

matt s.
12-17-2008, 02:54 PM
It spans in 4GB segments but 4GB is not a limit on a recording length.

Evro
12-17-2008, 02:57 PM
That's right, the camera can record continuously for up to 12 hours if you had the right capacity media inserted. Not sure what happens after that... the CCD probably melts :D

TheGuitarzan
12-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the fast replies.

Yes, I did format the card in the camera.

I don't think there is a 4GB limit because Panasonic advertises this camera with a 32GB card in the picture.

Thomas Lew
12-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Well there's a 4gb limit per clip. It sorta cuts and starts recording again in a sense.

BobDiaz
12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Interesting and odd problem. The 4GB single file limit seems likely, because at 24 minutes a new file should be generated to keep recording.

Please check the file size of the existing file that recorded to see how big it is. I'll bet it's almost 4GB.

IF you have a different 16Gb or 8GB card, try recording for more than 24 minutes. Does the same problem pop up with a different card?

Bob Diaz

TheGuitarzan
12-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I've been doing some additional tests tonight on this matter.

So far, I've not been able to get the camera to record a continuous clip in excess of 15 minutes.

I've got the camera set to the 1080/60i mode.

I've recorded to a variety of SDHC cards, class 4 and class 6.

Some have wondered if there is a 4GB size file size limitation. If there is that doesn't appear to be my culprit as some of these files are not even 2GB in size when it stops recording them.

I'm kinda worried about this because I shoot a lot of weddings and I cannot afford to have the camera decide it's just going to stop recording to the card.

Oh, additional foot note, I used an identical SDHC card in my Canon HF100 at this shoot, recorded the same length of time, and no issues.

Still doing tests....

matt s.
12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I just shot for about 50 minutes straight the other day no problems with a Transcend 16GB class 6 @ 720/24.

Justyn
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I shot a continuous clip of 79 minutes without any stopping.. BUT I did notice some breakups at the transitional joins.. and I thought these were fixed in the FCP update

TheGuitarzan
12-17-2008, 09:12 PM
The SDHC card is an "Adata" card.

BobDiaz
12-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I hope you'll do a test at 720/24p.

If the camera stops at 15 minutes with an error message, it could be a problem with the media.

In the end, you may have to go back to the dealer and or Panasonic to have it checked out...

Bob Diaz

Bucknfl
12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I've had the camera stop recording several times on a card that I did not format. It happened once on a card that I did format, exact same problem. It was an Adata 8 gig card. I tested another card later and it recorded the entire length of the card with no problems.

I don't trust the camera to record continuously without supervision.

ESTEBEVERDE
12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
I've had the camera stop recording several times on a card that I did not format. It happened once on a card that I did format, exact same problem. It was an Adata 8 gig card. I tested another card later and it recorded the entire length of the card with no problems.

I don't trust the camera to record continuously without supervision.

I don't trust that Adata card.

Try a transend or even another brand.

ullanta
12-17-2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, I'd suspect the card before the camera. I've had one card that causes problems, and seven other cards that have been problem free in multiple uses. I always test cards by shooting a full card's worth and transferring that to a computer via a different card reader, before using them in a critical situation.

ESTEBEVERDE
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Also be sure to format before you shoot. ;-)

TheGuitarzan
12-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Latest test...

I have 4 other 16GB Adata cards, I recorded to each of them and again got the same results. The error message appeared after 10-15 minutes on each.

So far, all of the Adata cards I've been using have had a yellow sticker on them.

I have another 16GB card, also an Adata card but with a RED sticker on it.

It recorded the entire card.

It must be something with the Yellow Sticker Adata cards.

I'll contact the seller this morning.

But... I will also continue testing other cards as well.

Thanks for all the help!

ESTEBEVERDE
12-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Step 1. Use transcend

step 2. Record

step 3. Profit! ;-)

BrianMurphy
12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I think it is fair to say that when you compare the cost of media in the HMC 150 to that of the HP170 and EX2/3 it amounts to peanuts. Congrats to those who use the Trancend cards and I admit to ordering a couple after reading the posts here. I do however have two Panasonic cards for my $ work. Total investment in my country less than $250. for 180 minutes+ of recording time.
You spend thousands on a camera I think it is smart to buy the recording media suggested by Panasonic. I have used AY-DMVM63AMQ in my DVX100B since I got it and have never had a problem and always had pristeen recordings and no head clogs. A bit more expensive but worth it and recommended by Panasonic. Then I bought a firestore.....
So now we wait for Cineform!
Brian

ESTEBEVERDE
12-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I think it is fair to say that when you compare the cost of media in the HMC 150 to that of the HP170 and EX2/3 it amounts to peanuts. Congrats to those who use the Trancend cards and I admit to ordering a couple after reading the posts here. I do however have two Panasonic cards for my $ work. Total investment in my country less than $250. for 180 minutes+ of recording time.
You spend thousands on a camera I think it is smart to buy the recording media suggested by Panasonic. I have used AY-DMVM63AMQ in my DVX100B since I got it and have never had a problem and always had pristeen recordings and no head clogs. A bit more expensive but worth it and recommended by Panasonic. Then I bought a firestore.....
So now we wait for Cineform!
Brian

You do have a fair enough point Brian and there are most assuredly quality differences among brands.

As to Transcend vs Panasonic SDHC I would be hard pressed to make a judgment unless I saw hard data to that effect.

Still, to each his own! ;-)

ullanta
12-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Again, sadly, one of the differences between brands has to do with testing for speed and reliability. Rejects from top brands/models are often sold as lower-class brands/models.

In my experience, a card that works fine for 2-3 full cycles will be fine in the long run. A card that fails from the start will not get better. So due diligence says, test every card for 2-3 full format-record-offload-format cycles, and you'll know whether to toss 'em or keep 'em.

That said, if you, must, e.g., by a card on the road in the heat of an extended shoot, my and others' experience here suggests that Transcend and Panasonic cards are highly reliable (I've seen no negative reports), while other brands (SanDisk, ADATA, Patriot,...?) have at least a few reports of problems. So in a pinch, go with Panny/Transcend... but I myself would do all I could to avoid such "pinches" where testing is not possible.

-B

Burners
04-20-2009, 06:28 AM
I used my hmc150 for the first time last night with 16gb Class 6 SDHC card. After about 20 minutes I got the incompatible media error. Card was formated in camera. Re-formated it and tried again, same result.

Read this thread, looked at my card - Adata

MadHMC150
04-21-2009, 05:34 AM
It spans in 4GB segments but 4GB is not a limit on a recording length.

They use FAT32 as the file format which has a 4GB single file limitation... FAT32 is the only thing that works with both mac and pc, sucks eh? Time to come out with a new file format!

I have a efilm pro/delkin devices card 16GB Class 6 along with my expensive panny... and havent had a problem filling either up! I got the efilm/delkin devices card from a guy on ebay that says he uses 4 of these and hasnt had a problem.

Dafilman21
04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
After reading this thread I went home and recorded my 16gb Transcend card to the max and I had no problems. I also did it with my one of my 8gb transcend cards, I will do the other tonight. I hope this helps anyone who is hesitant about buying Transcend.

tigerten02
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I have two Adata cards, I did a recording test and recorded constant for over 40 min on each. Both performed flawlessly. No "Incompatible Media", no recording stop.

Perhaps there was a bad production batch. Did you contact the company?