PDA

View Full Version : HMC150 - Wow, the manual focus and zoom motors are sure LOUD!

TheGuitarzan
12-16-2008, 07:59 PM
While preparing for an upcoming shoot I decided to finally try a pair of head phones with my new HMC150.

W - O - W !!!!

The Auto Focus servo motor is LOUD! I couldn't figure out what that noise was at first, then I noticed that when the AF number changed I heard the noise.

Then I thought I'd try the zoom. Yikes! It SCREAMS!

Anyone else notice this noise? The AF is the most annoying because it's always going to be there unless you film dead people via a tripod.

Evro
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
The AF is the most annoying because it's always going to be there unless you film dead people via a tripod.

That's phunny!!

Yep the motors are noisy but only when you're in a super quiet room - no biggie for me though, weddings are usually loud affairs :) If I ever get asked to do a funeral or wake I might have to reconsider ;-)

Richard J. Johnson
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I can't tell you the last time I even used a zoom on set.

Ed Kishel
12-16-2008, 11:24 PM
yup.....
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=149038

love the camera but, but this aspect of it I'm not crazy about :)

Thomas Lew
12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
When exactly do you use the zoom and when exactly do you leave AF on?...

Not just that but unless you're using the built in microphone in a silent room you shouldn't have a problem.

What are you shooting?

TheGuitarzan
12-17-2008, 05:10 AM
When exactly do you use the zoom and when exactly do you leave AF on?...

What are you shooting?

If I'm shooting a short I'm almost always going to use my Redrock with prime lenses.

However, there are many (MANY!) things I shoot where I use a zoom and keep the camera on AF. (weddings, school productions, sports). 2 of those items lend themselves to very quite rooms and the need to zoom.

I am aware of the "purest's" arguments against zooming (when I was in Hollywood I encountered many of them, most directors though who didn't know how to use a camera), but have usually disagreed with it.

Justyn
12-17-2008, 07:04 AM
the AF on this camera just like the HVX is spotty and has a mind of its own. I wouldn't recommend using auto focus on pretty much any HD camera. Just will give you very mixed results... plus it's not exactly a professional way to do things.

voxwerx
12-17-2008, 07:13 AM
I have found the autofocus to be a lot noisier than I had expected, too.... in school gyms with the sound system going. On another front, I do so enjoy the "professional" comments about using autofocus. This auto is quite good IMO... when it goes astray, a gentle touch on the ring and we're back in shape. I have to "run and gun" shoot all the time - events, concerts, sports... having to manually pull focus for variables I won't know about until they happen is just not practical. That being said, this auto is very good.... but noisy.

Justyn
12-17-2008, 08:17 AM
To each there own... but I've never found an autofocus that can do anything remotely as fast as I can. Being an AC for years and years is hard to break... One way though to avoid the camera noise is to use an external mike and a seperator.. then you'll loose alot of the noise. I had the same issues with the XL1 years ago and putting on a seperator or whatever its called cured all of the camera noise.

voxwerx
12-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah something better than the stock mic mount that comes with it would definitely be better! I can't imagine how much worse it must be using the built-in mics. I still love this camera though. I'm trying to talk the wife in to two for the "home" work...

j1clark@ucsd.edu
12-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I can't tell you the last time I even used a zoom on set.

So I take it you don't follow Sergio Leone in cinemagraphic style? Or the Hong Kong Kung Fu Bowing Crane Zoom style, for that matter...

BrianMurphy
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
So I take it you don't follow Sergio Leone in cinemagraphic style? Or the Hong Kong Kung Fu Bowing Crane Zoom style, for that matter...
Or the Robert Altman school. Use a good shotgun and mount it helps.

SPrimeau
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Never use the onboard mic, unless in some rare cases.

Shotguns are really useful. I also usually use a wireless transmitter.

And learn to use manual focus. Zoom in, focus, then zoom out.

Or stay wider when you can't zoom it. Or push the auto focus button for a few seconds.

I am in manual focus about all the time.