PDA

View Full Version : Please find me the way!!!!

marley1215
12-09-2008, 08:16 PM
k so i got my hmc150 about 2 weeks ago and i love it. I transcode all of my footy in toast 9 n it looks amazing and im real happy with what ive got.....buuuttt i didnt kno that when i got the camera i final cut wouldnt transcode my footage to prores because i only have a macbook...not a pro just a regular one. Im really bummed out because this is hold me back from filming and doing what i love. I need someone to help find a plan to get me editing and post high quality footage.

what would be my best path to take that would cost me the least amount of money?

are there any editing programs i can download that will export in prores that will still work using a macbook?? anything at all!

i kno i should probably just save up and get a macbook pro but i dont have that kind of time:( so should i just get a pc and use windows if its a cheaper and use a program for that?

Im so confused and getting really frustrated! plleeassee help me out with finding a better plan....thanks guys

matt s.
12-09-2008, 08:57 PM
You should be fine transcoding to AIC or DVCPROHD if you cant use PRoRes. I dont have ProRes and have been using AIC and DVCPROHD with not problems on a dual G5.

fieldreportermf
12-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey marley1215,

I just got an HMC150 about a week ago-nice...

Check out the "at the stove" thread posted by some1shero...some1shero seems to have come up with a work flow using the exact tools(NLE and Macbook) as you., maybe a good place to look for tips:) Now, I have questions for you:

- Can you tell me the "exact" settings you are using to transcode/export in toast 9...I'm havin' some issue "dialing it in"and figuring it out

- Please keep posting updates, I'm looking for for options too...I just bought a copy of FCE4 and I want to be able to use it...Thanks.

marley1215
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! im just recording my skateboard footage at 720/24p and transoding it in toast with AIC and it comes out perfect. i havent had any problems with toast and its really nice and easy to use. Now i just gotta find a way to edit lol. im guna check out that at the stove thread. n ill get back to ya:) thanks again.

Da3vid
12-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Didn't you ask this last week? Literally, 7 days ago. :huh:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=155073

matt s.
12-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! im just recording my skateboard footage at 720/24p and transoding it in toast with AIC and it comes out perfect. i havent had any problems with toast and its really nice and easy to use. Now i just gotta find a way to edit lol. im guna check out that at the stove thread. n ill get back to ya:) thanks again.

Then why arent you editing the AIC footage in FCP?

David Saraceno
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Why transcode to AIC in Toast when you can go to DVCProHD?

Also, moving to a PC isn't going to change anything. You need some serious giddy up to edit natively in AVCHD and a new NLE.

matt s.
12-10-2008, 12:47 PM
you can stay 1280X720 in AIC and to me it looked better than the DVCPROHD after transcoding. The same 13 minute clip was about 2 gigs smaller with the AIC codec 2.42GB to 4.29GB and i feel my aging FCP system handled the footage a little better.i dont see any advantage of the transcode to 4:2:2 compared to the 4:2:0 of AIC and AVCHD i guess it could help if you planned on doing heavy color grading etc. and you could render out your filters to 4:2:2. Im no expert these are just my findings in some recent testing. If I were working with HVX footage or something then yes I would transcode to DVCProHD.

marley1215
12-10-2008, 04:33 PM
what im saying is that once i transcode it with toast, when i start editing it in aic or whatever when im done wth my movie in fcp what do i do so it stays that quality when i export?! i cant export it into prores so what do i do is what im trying to get at.....

marley1215
12-10-2008, 04:50 PM
and yeah da3vid i did ask it a week ago and its still fuckin up...sorry broski. im trying to get this figured out n its pissing me off like crazy.

some1shero
12-10-2008, 05:04 PM
you can stay 1280X720 in AIC and to me it looked better than the DVCPROHD after transcoding. The same 13 minute clip was about 2 gigs smaller with the AIC codec 2.42GB to 4.29GB and i feel my aging FCP system handled the footage a little better.i dont see any advantage of the transcode to 4:2:2 compared to the 4:2:0 of AIC and AVCHD i guess it could help if you planned on doing heavy color grading etc. and you could render out your filters to 4:2:2. Im no expert these are just my findings in some recent testing. If I were working with HVX footage or something then yes I would transcode to DVCProHD.

Agreed. The HMC 150 records AVC HD in 4.2.0. When it is transcoded into Apple ProRes 422 it only stretches the color space of the original footage to fit into 4.2.2 color space. So there REALLY isn't an advantage to working with ProRes over AIC.

4.2.2 color space comes in handy with green screen keying, but for skateboard footage, 4.2.0 should be fine.

matt s.
12-10-2008, 06:14 PM
what im saying is that once i transcode it with toast, when i start editing it in aic or whatever when im done wth my movie in fcp what do i do so it stays that quality when i export?! i cant export it into prores so what do i do is what im trying to get at.....

Export it back out as AIC for a master copy or h.264 for the web etc.