PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Line

Akatastasia
12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Camera of the future? or stick with the HVX?

David Saraceno
12-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Different cams that seem to intercut well.

Justyn
12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I think it intercuts very well. Seemleslly.. and in low light it has way better quality and much less noise. I think it has a lot of benefits over the standards HVX which turns 3 very soon. I've jumped partial ships completely and might be fully on two HMCs very soon. It just makes things easy.. and I like the price. I could have gotten 3 of them for what I paid for my HVX, cards and P2 store...

ilauzirika
12-05-2008, 03:24 AM
diferent pricepoints, diferent users. Buy whaterever suits you better, if you want a solid recording medium and format (and have money for it) hpx170 or hvx200 may be your choice and if your comcern is media price the hmc150 does nearly all that its bigger brothers do (except timelapse or variable framerate) and it does so in cheap sdhc cards.

You also have to care about your workflow, do you have a powerful enough computer....etc.....

Cameras are as the magic wands in harry potter, they are the tool to represent what's inside you. They don't do the job by themselves.

Thomas Lew
12-05-2008, 03:58 AM
diferent pricepoints, diferent users. Buy whaterever suits you better, if you want a solid recording medium and format (and have money for it) hpx170 or hvx200 may be your choice and if your comcern is media price the hmc150 does nearly all that its bigger brothers do (except timelapse or variable framerate) and it does so in cheap sdhc cards.

You also have to care about your workflow, do you have a powerful enough computer....etc.....

Cameras are as the magic wands in harry potter, they are the tool to represent what's inside you. They don't do the job by themselves.

I must say you have made quite a fantastic post. It's all very sensible and the harry potter analogy was quite imaginative yet accurate haha.

Akatastasia
12-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I am a little worried about the work flow. When shooting in 24p mode with the HMC150, the transfered pro res (I work in FCP) is 24p no? (I don't have to pull it down in cinema tools) If this is true isn't the work flow essential the same as the HVX only I end up with pro res instead of dvcpro HD.

What is the reccomend system requirements for working with the footage? For the moment I am on a 2.5 ghz intel core 2 Duo with 4gb ram Power Book

I downloaded some night test footage and it looks FAR better than the HVX night footage I have worked with over the past several months.

manglerBMX
12-05-2008, 07:34 AM
there is no pulldown, its native 24p. its very similar to workflow of hvx, just takes longer to transcode to proress(depending on your computers speed).

Melvin Harris
12-05-2008, 08:17 AM
No.

What's the "future" in this business? Red, I7, HMC, HPX, vs. DVX, PD150, Pentium, HDV; before that the 486 processor, SVHS/ADAT, VHS-C, etc. Stuff changes and becomes "obsolete" as soon as you figure it out. It's just a fact of life. Soon, as soon as 2009, there will be another flavor of the month that will revolutionize blah blah, and change the face of feh...

The fact is that this tool works for me, and others like me. It allows my talent to not be encumbered, and that is what I paid for. Past all of the gear lust and camera envy, it's everything I need right now. I am savvy enough to make small compromises to get what I need out of the camera and am dilligent and intelligent enough to come here and get help in order to solve any other problems that come up- but isn't that what we all do and why we all are here?

The HMC is my Marlon Brando.
Incredibly difficult to work with but very good at the job as I see it...

But the camera of the future, no.

KKeller
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I get the feeling that once there is better software support for AVCHD then more cameras will use it. It won't defeat all the competing codecs and cameras.

Different strokes (or cameras in this case) for different folks.

Carlos Corral
12-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Actually, since AVCHD supports a progressive format of 1080p and has the same bandwidth as HDV (25Mbits), what are the odds that AVCHD will be used as a 1080p broadcast codec in the near future?

Justyn
12-06-2008, 08:48 AM
You already see this flavor in blueray and such. I think it's an elegant option and it doesn't require a much faster computer to work with. Once I convert the footage, i'm able to cut this stuff on a 3.5 year old G5.

I also see NO difference to the 200a, so shoot, I'm over P2 and my HVX becomes the B camera that I leave at home. I've used the 150, 5 times without using the HVX one. It's a no brainer and the HVX might be relegated to B-cam and timelapse duties....

shrigg
12-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Digital Cable will be transitioning to H.264, obviously Blu-Ray is already there, more AVCCAM camcorders coming out... The future is so bright I've gotta wear AVC shades!

Mike Harvey
12-06-2008, 01:13 PM
shrigg just beat me to it... H.264 and all of it's flavors is going to replace mpeg-2 and all of it's flavors. More efficient codec, but takes more horsepower to use. Just give it a few years.

Cranky
12-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Not in broadcast in the U.S. But who cares about broadcast?

shaun1970
12-07-2008, 06:25 PM
no 1080p broadcast here either, the stations here can't even get 720p right yet. Channel 10 here does some stuff in 1080i but it will never go to 1080p,,,, why?? there is really no need.

I'm saving up for the HMC, buy the time that comes around next year, I assume that the horsepower CPU's will be a lot cheaper.