PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Michrophone with HMC 150

pd17
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking of getting this camera . The store I'm looking at to purchase the camera from does not have a package with a shotgun microphone included . Any suggestions ?

Dave

Mike Harvey
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I have a Sennheiser K6 power module with a Me64 and Me66 mic capsule. I keep the Me64 on it permanently.

Evro
12-04-2008, 02:51 PM
There are so many microphones!! It all depends on the type of sound you want to capture and your location and how much you are willing to spend. A good general purpose, affordable shotgun mic I like to use is the Rode NTG-1.

Thomas Lew
12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
the one I got was called mc 70 or something

tommetass
12-04-2008, 03:02 PM
just got the Røde NTG-1, and man.. I've just been testing it a little bit, but from those tests...

I mean... Wow!
Great value!

It's definitely a good buy!

Justyn
12-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I love the Audio Technica line of M/S stereo mikes. Does great in the widest possible settings.. from straight up interviews to concerts.. Since it's M/S you can dial in the stereo image and you can't do that with a standard stereo mike. This is how the BBC records a lot of their stuff.. Great for documentaries too...

I think you make sure it's phantom powered and you'll be pretty good.

pd17
12-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestions . I'll check on some of the microphones mentioned .

Dave

matt s.
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I love the Audio Technica line of M/S stereo mikes. Does great in the widest possible settings.. from straight up interviews to concerts.. Since it's M/S you can dial in the stereo image and you can't do that with a standard stereo mike. This is how the BBC records a lot of their stuff.. Great for documentaries too...

I think you make sure it's phantom powered and you'll be pretty good.

NBC used AT stereo shotgun mics for the Olympics on all of their handheld cameras.

I may have to look into one of these someday. I never knew you could change the patterns on it.

Justyn
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
YEs. it's a great mike. It has 3 options. M/S where you decode on the comp or whatever.. it's kind of jarging to hear it as it's out of phase and or whatever. Then it also has a decoded option for narrow and wide.

I bought mine used for 450 and it was a steal. I get compliments on it from snooty audio guys all the time. It sounds as good as a 416 up too like 5 feet away.. so great for interviews and on a boom.. but then it's also M/S so it's a great room/area mike and also do a great job at a concert.
I think it's the best all round mike on the market.

Carlos Corral
12-06-2008, 04:45 AM
I personally would suggest the AT897 or AT4073a depending on your budget. Both are rock solid mics!

SPrimeau
12-10-2008, 10:46 PM
If you go for the Rode. Pick the NTG-2 instead of the NTG-1.

The NTG-1 can only be used with a phantom power. If you want to use it on something else like a wireless transmitter without phantom power, the NTG-2 can be used with a AA battery. And the mic just cost a few dollars more.

edithouse
12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
This is a great article with downloads so you can hear all kinds of shotguns in various situations:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html

I've had working experience with the Neumann KMR81i, and this mic sounds like a lav at over a foot away.

yia
12-12-2008, 12:10 AM
hi,
just wondering if I can use the same mic I bought for my dvx on the hmc150

matt s.
12-12-2008, 12:13 AM
hi,
just wondering if I can use the same mic I bought for my dvx on the hmc150

Yes most definitely.