PDA

View Full Version : canon 5D mII in a world of PAL?

Linus
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I am planning to buy a Canon 5D. But the 30fps worries me, since I live in a PAL country.

Is it impossible to use video from canon 5D in a project where the rest is shot on 24p or standard PAL. Do I need to recompress the files? And how is that done? Anyone???:dankk2:.

princigalli
12-06-2008, 03:23 AM
Depends. If you use it professionally, you will have to adjust your video somehow because most clients expect you to deliver 25fps. In my case the 30fps is a blessing because all European equipment is multi standard. If I make a DVD I do it straight in NTSC and that works well with players all over the world, including PAL countries.

Lee Wilson
12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
You can convert the final edited film to 25p.

http://www.vimeo.com/2069928

lipslide
12-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Retiming the footage in After Effects is possible, but IMHO it yields less than perfect results.

The frame interpolation techniques employed by After Effects are not even close to perfect. There is an introduction of significant interpolation artifacts around moving objects and the footage looks 'retimed'. It's not pretty, that Vimeo footage is too highly compressed and low res to see properly.

If you do not require the footage to play back in 'real time' I would suggest you take a 17% hit on speed and simply conform the file to play back at 25P. Drop it in a 25P composition, render it out and drop it in amongst your 25P timeline in your editing software.

It sounds bad, but if you're not relying on it for audio or using it as you primary camera, that dream like quality the speed change adds can look really nice.

Spartacus
12-12-2008, 02:45 AM
I still have hopes that they will add a firmware update for cams they sell in PAL country, maybe there just has to be more stir up from reviews and customers.
Getting 25p obviously would be no hassle to do with a 30p camera, and all the photographers who will mainly buy this camera will hopefullly raise their voice, once they find out more about videostandards...