PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5Dm2 short test with Leica lens

princigalli
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Canon 5Dm2 does not allow manual settings when filming so using Leica lens with an adapter forces the camera to use the manual aperture. My Leica lens was wide open at 2.0 and the results are nice. It doesn't make sense to use Canon lens when filming with this camera, not even for the autofocus because it doesn't work well when filming. Many Canon lens (including my 85mmL1.2) have Chromatic Aberration and fringing problems. My Leica lens don't have such problems.

I love the combination of Canon 5Dm2 with Leica. If I had to film with Canon lens only I may have returned the camera.

http://vimeo.com/2430663

egproductions
12-04-2008, 01:33 PM
the 85 1.2L has chromatic abberations wide open because its a specialty lens. It's not meant to have amazing results at 1.2 it's meant to just get you there. If you shot at 2 or above you wouldn't be getting chromatic aberation, optical vignetting or cats eye effect. Not to mention you would have a much sharper picture (but I guess for HD resultion that doesn't really matter)

princigalli
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
the 85 1.2L has chromatic abberations wide open because its a specialty lens. It's not meant to have amazing results at 1.2 it's meant to just get you there. If you shot at 2 or above you wouldn't be getting chromatic aberation, optical vignetting or cats eye effect. Not to mention you would have a much sharper picture (but I guess for HD resultion that doesn't really matter)

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it at aperture 2.

In one case only the aberration was visible in HD. But my small Leica 90mm 2.0 does not have noticeable aberration problems even wide open at 2.0, and it costs less than 500 Euros second hand.

egproductions
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
my 70 dollar Canon 50mm f1.8 doesn't have chromatic abberation wide open but the 1,800 dollar Canon 50mm f1.2L II does. That being said the F1.2 is a far superior lens when stopped down to 1.8 and it pretty damn sharp at 1.4 and even decent at 1.2. Like I said it is expensive because it gets you to 1.2, not because its performs amazingly there.

princigalli
12-05-2008, 07:37 AM
my 70 dollar Canon 50mm f1.8 doesn't have chromatic abberation wide open but the 1,800 dollar Canon 50mm f1.2L II does. That being said the F1.2 is a far superior lens when stopped down to 1.8 and it pretty damn sharp at 1.4 and even decent at 1.2. Like I said it is expensive because it gets you to 1.2, not because its performs amazingly there.

Yes but when I pay over $1000 for a L series lens I expect sharp images and no or at least low chromatic aberrations

princigalli
12-05-2008, 07:38 AM
By the way do you know that Sigma has a 150mm prime lens that has practically no chromatic aberration and about the same sharpness as some L prime lens?

egproductions
12-05-2008, 08:39 AM
"Yes but when I pay over $1000 for a L series lens I expect sharp images and no or at least low chromatic aberrations"

L series does not indicate anything (ie weatherproof, sharpness, speed etc.) the only thing L series indicates is that it will work on all canon EF and EF-S EOS bodies. The reason they are expensive is because typically they poses 2-3 of the following specialties (super fast, super sharp, fast for a zoom, sharp for a zoom, optically superior).

That being said, you can't expect all of the above. The Canon 100mm macro f2.8 is the sharpest lens out there according to ken rockwells tests. It's not an L series. My $1000 24-70L isn't as sharp as my $70 50mm 1.8 but its super fast for a zoom lens and its a zoom lens!

You also can't just expect to buy great lenses and get great pictures. You have to know how to use lenses properly (fast shutter speeds, proper focus, don't shoot wide open, don't shoot past f11)

egproductions
12-05-2008, 08:45 AM
By the way do you know that Sigma has a 150mm prime lens that has practically no chromatic aberration and about the same sharpness as some L prime lens?

Believe me that I don't mean to sound rude but this means nothing to me. You need to give specific examples of what you are comparing it to in order to judge and also you need to let me know what aperture the Sigma is. Off camera brands are typically a little cheaper in price but typically a little worse in quality. There are definilty exceptions though. There are also many L series lenses that are not worth the money because there are cheaper alternatives in the market. Thats why when shopping for lenses you can just expec to buy L series and get what you want, you need to look around, see tests, and do tests.

princigalli
12-06-2008, 02:57 AM
I can't believe some users are ready to insult me on my Canon lens observations. Anyway, I know what I talk about and I used many lens in many conditions. My problem with Canon is that despite the high quality of their lens they don't seem to have the CA problem under control. This has always been a problem for Canon, even their first prosumer DV camcorders, while Sony cameras did not have that.

The Sigma I was talking about is an exception, here is it:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-150mm-f-2.8-EX-DG-HSM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

When tested they were sharper than Canon 70-200 L2.8 and Canon 85mm L1.2, without any CA. The closest Canon lens of a similar quality is the 200L1.8 but it costs a lot more.

I had my best results with Leica lens which I attach on my Canon 5D and get exceptional results. I use Canon lens when I need automatic control and autofocus. Otherwise Leica is generally better for me.

egproductions
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm just going to disregard booggerg2s comment, its not worth mentioning as he is not saying anything of value or constructive.

The closest lens I know of that Canon has compared to this is the 100mm Macro 2.8. It's not an L series, its about 600 (I believe) and its one of teh sharpest lenses that exist. It's sharper than the Canon 200 1.8 you mentioned but the 200 is f1.8 (its a specialy lens) an f-stop fo 1.8 on a 200mm lens is almost unheard of.

Bottom line, if you were going to have a shootout between two lenses, the 100mm Macro is the sigma's comparison.

princigalli
12-08-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm just going to disregard booggerg2s comment, its not worth mentioning as he is not saying anything of value or constructive.

The closest lens I know of that Canon has compared to this is the 100mm Macro 2.8. It's not an L series, its about 600 (I believe) and its one of teh sharpest lenses that exist. It's sharper than the Canon 200 1.8 you mentioned but the 200 is f1.8 (its a specialy lens) an f-stop fo 1.8 on a 200mm lens is almost unheard of.

Bottom line, if you were going to have a shootout between two lenses, the 100mm Macro is the sigma's comparison.

First of all thanks for your remark. That's exactly what I thought when reading booggerg2s comment, I could not find anything constructive in such a remark. And I was a little disappointed too because I expect to share ideas with people with passion for video and photography here, not exchange insults. But I believe the majority of DVXUSER people are more polite than booggerg2s and are generally at a higher level.

Now to the lens.

The Canon you mentioned seems to be an excellent lens, and I need Macro too. I never looked at it because I was automatically only considering L series. Of course 2.8 is not 1.8 but there are several other advantages that are important to me and make up for the difference. First of all 2.8 is good enough for most of my work at 100mm, then the huge price difference, the contained size, the Macro, and last but not least for me, it does not attract as much attention.

If this lens is as sharp as you say I would certainly prefer it to the Sigma.

mcll
01-08-2009, 09:14 AM
which adapter works best for the canon ? I noticed a lot of CA on my video with the lenses from canon. Do Nikon lenses have this problem also ? I am thinking that the best video image out for this camera is using it w/o canon lenses which really doesn't make any sense to me. What other lenses are people buying that are giving you a great image.

egproductions
01-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Not another one.....

if you are getting CA it is for one of two reason:

1. you are using a specialty lens such as the 85mm 1.2 wide open (or a cheap lens wide open)

2. you are shooting in a situation that would cause CA on any lens such as shooting a tree against the sun

No adapter works better than the next, it all depends on what lenses you want to use. Be aware that using an adapter to mount off camera brand lenses will leave you without focusing points or any automatic control aside from ISO and shutter speed. Trust me its very very difficult to get good focus with an adapter unless you switch out your focusing screen.

You mentioned you are seeing CA on your video with Canon lenses. Are you seeing it when you take a still. if you don't then its isn't CA you are seeing on your video is probably a moire effect. Try shooting something with line fine details or patterns (something solid) and see if you get the issue.

Jason Ramsey
01-16-2009, 03:01 PM
idiot

This'll be your only warning... We don't do personal attacks and insults here. Thanks.

Later,
Jason