PDA

View Full Version : Changing the video card

DVX100Shooter
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I just bought a new graphics card for my Powermac G5 that will allow me to use Motion 3 and an assortment of plugins.

According to the directions it states to locate the current card's drivers and delete them, then take that card out and install the new card and drivers that are included on the install disc.

Now someone told me that I should not have to install the drivers to the new card! That doesn't sound right to me. This is what they said:

Mac drivers are ALL included in the OS.

Any fiddling you do with them will only make matters worse. (there are rare exceptions, this isn't one of them)

Switch the card and restart...at most you will need to do a PRAM reset.

OF polls al devices and does a PCI device match from device id's....only loads drivers for items that are in the machine.

Keeps drivers for ALL cards handy but only loads which ones are there. One of the things that makes our OS superior to Windows.

Is that an accurate statement when it comes to upgrading the video card? I currently have a Nvidia Geforce 5200 that came with my Powermac and I just bought the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

I am just trying to figure this out before I do anything. The instruction booklet says one thing and this other person is saying the opposite. Oh yea the new card is PC and Mac compatible so some things in the book don't pertain to me.

Nic Aragon
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
just stick it in and see what happens, you cant damage it physically (if its physically installed correctly that is)

but yes, thats all correct and what not, install the drivers first before you install it, from the disc, then just install it and all will be well