PDA

View Full Version : D90 syncing sound with field recorder

Recorder
11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
A short film testing out the D90's visuals when synced with a Zoom H4 audio recorder. I used the Zoom's on-board mic, but it got a bit windy, so I had to block the wind and mic with my body and record some voice over. The bg/natural sound is from the D90's built-in mic.

http://vimeo.com/2375506 (http://vimeo.com/2375506)

softcorerobot
11-29-2008, 01:34 AM
Nice job, you would never think it was being shot on a DSLR. Gets more and more exciting as people experiment.

Couple of questions:

1. Did you mount the audio gear to your camera or use a rig to keep it all together?
2. Was there a sync reference or a method that worked for you during this shoot?

Any advice or insight would be great as this is the one weak point for the camera which I have not seen a solution for. Most of the videos have been music driven, so you've pushed the envelope further out. Kudos.

Zak Forsman
11-29-2008, 01:53 AM
here's some helicopter footage i shot with the D90 and a Zoom H2 for sync sound.

http://vimeo.com/1688869

Recorder
11-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice job, you would never think it was being shot on a DSLR. Gets more and more exciting as people experiment.

Couple of questions:

1. Did you mount the audio gear to your camera or use a rig to keep it all together?
2. Was there a sync reference or a method that worked for you during this shoot?

Any advice or insight would be great as this is the one weak point for the camera which I have not seen a solution for. Most of the videos have been music driven, so you've pushed the envelope further out. Kudos.

Thanks, I kept it real simple. I Just mounted the camera on a tripod and focused up on my son and started recording w the D90. Then I walked around to the side and started recording the Zoom. I had my son hold the Zoom for a second. With both cameras rolling I clapped my hands in front of the camera and started asking questions while I held the Zoom off camera (it sneaked into the shot at one point, but with a real interview I would connect a lav to the Zoom). I edited on Vegas Pro and on that system it is super easy to sync up the sound visually on the timeline. It's as simple as finding the visual of hands coming together and dragging that point match the point on the Zoom's audio waveform showing the profile of the clap.

I think the D90 and the Zoom compliment eachother well: both are small, lightweight, high quality and affordable devices. They both record to SD cards so the transfer to the Vegas timeline is a snap! I think this combo has real potential for documentary filmmaking. I used to do this sort of stuff on 16mm in college and working this way now in the digital realm made me feel like a real filmmaker again.

Osslund
11-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I have the H2 and plan on mounting the H2 and D90 beside each other on the camera rigg.

mhood
11-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I've used a Roland Edirol R-09HR and it works very well too. I like the remote for starting the Edirol from behind the D90. I did a two finger "clap" in front of the camera and either shout sharply or slap the table. It works gr8. I really like the sound of the built in stereo mics on the Edirol and I like being able to place it very close to talent.

mrmoe
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Nice job. My next B&H purchase for sound.

Workflow:
EMW Lav (XLR) > DXA6 (Mini Line out) > Zoom H4 (24-bit PCM) > 8g SD Memory

ESTEBEVERDE
11-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Adorable family!

A+++!

ESTEBEVERDE
11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
here's some helicopter footage i shot with the D90 and a Zoom H2 for sync sound.

http://vimeo.com/1688869

Of a Helicopter. :beer:

bronxjragon
11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
Of a Helicopter. :beer:

ha yeah, the lack of clarity made me think it was gonna be like that bad@ss footage the 5d dude took

Zak Forsman
11-29-2008, 02:59 PM
it was pretty badass when they shined their spotlight on me. :)

bronxjragon
11-29-2008, 03:02 PM
ha fair enough. i wouldve ran (but that woulda resulted in jello cam)

ESTEBEVERDE
11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
It's still bad ass footage just not On a helicopter. :beer:

Zak Forsman
11-29-2008, 04:16 PM
haha! next time!

ESTEBEVERDE
11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
haha! next time!

"Next Year in Jerusalem." :beer:

Ralph Oshiro
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I already wrote this in another thread (excuse the cross-post):

"Ideally, you would need a second person, a sound recordist, to record audio using a double-system sound set-up. The D90's built-in mic is really only usable for "nat" sound (ambience). The optimum way to record sound for D90-acquired video would be to assemble a kit containing a decent, short-shotgun condensor mic ($300-$1,500), fishpole/shock-mount ($300-$700), "Softie" windscreen ($130), and a portable digital recorder ($300-$500) with balanced XLR inputs and phantom power (the Marantz PMD660 is only $419 and has both). You could buy all this for as little as about $1,500. Lower-end audio gear these days is actually quite good. The Audio Technica AT835B is a decent short-shotgun mic, and it's only about $300. Your sound recordist will also need to use a clapstick to visually synch your picture to your sound device. On very long takes, you will also have synch issues that will need correcting in post."

Here's my current audio set-up:

1. Audio Technica AT835b short-shotgun condensor mic.
2. Rycote "Softie" windscreen.
3. K-Tek short, carbon fiber fishpole and rubber shock mount.
4. "Slateless" clapstick from Filmtools in Burbank, CA.

Now that I have my D90, I'm going to order the Marantz PMD660 portable CF recorder for use as my double-system sound recording device. It's a great choice for three reasons:

1. Takes standard 'AA' batteries.
2. Has two XLR balanced inputs.
3. Outputs 48V phantom power.

Pretty good for $419, I'd say. I seem to remember there also being another portable recorder on the market that also has XLR inputs and phantom power, but I've forgotten which make/model that was.

mrmoe
11-29-2008, 07:17 PM
I already wrote this in another thread (excuse the cross-post):

Pretty good for $419, I'd say. I seem to remember there also being another portable recorder on the market that also has XLR inputs and phantom power, but I've forgotten which make/model that was.

Its the Zoom H4, its half the price and is a 24bit recorder. Has Phantom Power and uses SD cards.

Ralph Oshiro
11-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Its the Zoom H4, its half the price and is a 24bit recorder. Has Phantom Power and uses SD cards.

Ah, yes! Thanks! Yeah, I like that one too because it gives you the option of recording to two of its four tracks from its XLR input (e.g., a boom mic), and the other two from the on-board stereo mic, I believe (have to re-check on that to make sure, but it's something like that). Cool feature.

bronxjragon
11-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Ah, yes! Thanks! Yeah, I like that one too because it gives you the option of recording one track from the XLR (e.g., a boom mic), and another track from its on-board mic, I believe. Cool feature.

what? thats nuts, you can do some serious surround sound in post with that feature

Zak Forsman
11-29-2008, 07:47 PM
what? thats nuts, you can do some serious surround sound in post with that feature

the Zoom H2 has 4 mics. perfect for surround.

Coco Bermudez
11-29-2008, 09:37 PM
A short film testing out the D90's visuals when synced with a Zoom H4 audio recorder. I used the Zoom's on-board mic, but it got a bit windy, so I had to block the wind and mic with my body and record some voice over. The bg/natural sound is from the D90's built-in mic.

http://vimeo.com/2375506 (http://vimeo.com/2375506)

Nice stuff man....what CF cards where you using? How much video time does it give you...did you get any wobble?

Recorder
11-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Nice stuff man....what CF cards where you using? How much video time does it give you...did you get any wobble?

Thanks Super 8. I was using a really inexpensive Polaroid 4 gig SD card that I got at Fry's (for about 8 bucks). I got about 40 minutes of video plus a lot of stills on that card. I did get a slight amount of wobble or slanting video on the quick panning shots of my kid on his bike but it's hardly noticeable. I used a tripod most of the time and kept camera movements slower than normal. One problem shooting the camera handheld is that it is so light, a slight bump can cause a jiggle. As others have said, it is not perfect but I think if you understand the D90's limitations and work around them, it does an incredible job. I gladly trade off fast camera movements and working with an extra sound recorder to get those colors, lattitude and DOF control with Nikon's lenses. That seems like a good deal to me.