PDA

View Full Version : My new HMC150: first impressions.

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 02:56 AM
My very first impressions on my new HMC150 (which I have changed with my HVX200 for several reasons) after a brief test, 720p only.
The picture is very good, much less noisy then HVX but at a first glance not so rich, deep and warm (maybe for the 4:2:0 color space). I would like to have the Barry Green opinion about it.
The low light performance is almost incredible to my HVX200 accustomed eyes. The AVCHD codec seems bullet proof. I can't see any artifacts, even panning very fast. Today I have shoot a snowstorm from the window of my studio and everything was perfect. The camera itself is light (one thing I appreciate very much) ergonomics is excellent but there is too much plastic for a professional product in my opinion. The AVCHD workflow is great (and cheap) but I have experienced a big white drop in one of my first clip (I've used a 4Gb Lexar Class 6 card).
Working on FCP is very easy. I've had no problems at all. Last consideration: the price is really good (I've paid 2.999 Euros here in Italy).
Remember this is a very superficial test (I'm just starting to know this nice cam).

Hidef1080
11-28-2008, 04:03 AM
Out of the box I found my colors pretty flat but once I started playing with the setting I was able to find a "look" was very happy with.

Have you adjusted any of setting yet?

ilauzirika
11-28-2008, 04:53 AM
I've had no problems at all. Last consideration: the price is really good (I've paid 2.999 Euros here in Italy).

wow, where? (i paid around 3500)

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Ilauzirika, I've bought the camera at ADCOM, Bologna. A very professional dealer.

Hidef, I've shot using the camera presets. I will try to change something. But my comparison was HVX200 cine V preset against HMC150 cine V preset.

Evro
11-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Francesco, which model did you buy?

I believe the European model HMC151 is the most expensive because it is PAL/NTSC switchable, whereas the 150 is NTSC & 152 is PAL only.

Yes there is definitely more plastic on the outside than the DVX. You are very lucky if you can edit AVCHD with no problems.

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi Evro,
yes the model is HMC151, PAL/NTSC switchable (very nice feature) and yes, I've not (yet) encountered problems editing ProRes converted AVCHD on FCP. At this moment I'm editing a 30 % slowed clip (from six minutes to 18) color corrected, in RT with no rendering.

matt s.
11-28-2008, 10:01 AM
The camera itself is light (one thing I appreciate very much) ergonomics is excellent but there is too much plastic for a professional product in my opinion.
Congrats on the cam I'm sure will grow to enjoy it more every day!
You do know that the whole body of the cam is metal and alot of it is covered with plastic shielding. The HPX170 is built the same exact way. IMO this is better than just having the metal exposed. Plastic is much more resilient to bumps etc.Heres a pic posted by Bob Diaz that shows whats hiding under the plastic.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f103/KQ6WQ/DSCF0115.jpg

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Thank you Matt (and Bob) for this great pic! I'm seeing my new cam under a different light now. I'm shure I will appreciate it more and more. Have a nice day.

Spartacus
11-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Since you also owned a PAL HVX, do you plan on doing any keying with the 150?
Does the picture look sharper than the HVXs?

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I don't plane to do any green screen works in the near future. It's a kind of job I've made rarely. And no, in my opinion the HMC150 it's not sharper than the HVX. The HMC150 footage comes from the same sensors of the HVX so, at 720p, the sharpness is comparable but not better. At 1080 the HVX is better, according with Barry Green , because the recording data are less compressed.

Francesco Dal Bosco
11-28-2008, 12:19 PM
And congratulations for your Black Flag logo.