PDA

View Full Version : Shooting D90 outdoors? Need EVF solutions, suggestions . . .

Ralph Oshiro
11-27-2008, 11:34 AM
I just took my Nikon D90 rig outside on a bright, sunny day, fitted with a DV-style shoulder mount (works great), and my Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8 and . . . guess what? I could barely see the f***ing viewfinder! I am considering three possible solutions:

1. Hoodman-style snoot for the D90's display. Apparently, Hoodman only makes these types of hoods for video camera LCDs. Hoodman also makes a three-inch, 3x optical loupe, which actually looks to be pretty on-target for this application. As soon as they're in stock, I'm ordering one. Only problem is there is no mounting solution.

2. Small HMDI-input capable external LCD monitor, mountable on the handheld rig. Certainly don't need a multiple-thousand dollar, high-end display, just enough to be able to frame and focus. Of course, once I get this, I would still need a Hoodman to fit it.

3. One of those "virtual" eyepiece things. I'm no longer familiar with who still currently makes these products. I think Sony and Olympus used to make them, but they certainly didn't have HDMI inputs (before their time). Edit: I found "MyVu" LCD goggles designed for iPods, but there were better ones made at one time.

Product and supplier suggestions for any of the above would be most appreciated!

Park Edwards
11-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I've had similar situations...one..the hoodman loupe 3.0 or whatever does look nice, but you have to hold it to the lcd, no thanks, especially when using a shoulder rig.

my best solution, will be goofy, but cheap none the less and efficient, is to just put a black or dark t-shirt or cape over me and the back of the lcd to block out the sun and everything will be good.

Jim Klatt
11-27-2008, 12:21 PM
You should move to Portland.

ESTEBEVERDE
11-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You should move to Portland.

OUCH! :cheesy:

Lammy
11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Put an umbrella close with your other shoulder and look like a cool man.

mattsand
11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
last time i was in portland it was bright and sunny. you should move to sweden. this time of year we don't get bright sunlight even on a clear day. it's six hours of dusk and then night again. perfect for taking advantage of that low light capability. :-)

/matt

mrmoe
11-27-2008, 01:43 PM
I have been using AV310 Widescreen to Pull focus and frame shots

http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/products_av310w.ht

http://www.vuzix.com/iwear/_images/image_av310w.jpg

Ralph Oshiro
11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
I have been using AV310 Widescreen to Pull focus and frame shots . . .

AHA! That's what I was talking about! But I assume it only takes a composite input, right? Thanks! Gonna check into the tactical one. Hmmm . . . the tactical versions offer a VGA/SVGA input version. Can you extract an analog VGA signal out of an HDMI output? Maybe one of those Monoprice HDMI adapters? Probably not, huh?

Ralph Oshiro
11-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I've had similar situations...one..the hoodman loupe 3.0 or whatever does look nice, but you have to hold it to the lcd, no thanks, especially when using a shoulder rig.

my best solution, will be goofy, but cheap none the less and efficient, is to just put a black or dark t-shirt or cape over me and the back of the lcd to block out the sun and everything will be good.

All good ideas! Kinda like the drape you would use on a view camera. I think I'm liking that loupe solution a lot. Even if I have gaff-tape the damn thing to my D90 body, I like the fact that it's an optical device. I'll probably end up trying all of your suggestions. Thanks for everyone's input on this!

John Sandel
11-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Black cardboard; double-stick tape, judiciously applied.

You guys would alert SAC for a mosquito.

mrmoe
11-27-2008, 09:49 PM
AHA! That's what I was talking about! But I assume it only takes a composite input, right? Thanks! Gonna check into the tactical one. Hmmm . . . the tactical versions offer a VGA/SVGA input version. Can you extract an analog VGA signal out of an HDMI output? Maybe one of those Monoprice HDMI adapters? Probably not, huh?

Well, its just VGA/SVGA for now. I just use it for framing and focus. But I really like it cause it allows me to steal great shots of exclusive locations in NYC and keep the production stealth without most people knowing whats going on. Walking down the street in Manhattan with video googles pulling focus on a D90 with actor on cellphone... is INSANE. I could NEVER get away with that with a 10"HD LCD, Fraken-Rig, or any DIY solution.

I will say, it takes a little getting use to it, but it works great. My2Cents.

Ralph Oshiro
11-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, its just VGA/SVGA for now. I just use it for framing and focus. But I really like it cause it allows me to steal great shots of exclusive locations in NYC and keep the production stealth without most people knowing whats going on. Walking down the street in Manhattan with video googles pulling focus on a D90 with actor on cellphone... is INSANE. I could NEVER get away with that with a 10"HD LCD, Fraken-Rig, or any DIY solution.

I will say, it takes a little getting use to it, but it works great. My2Cents.

That's great! How do you get an SVGA/VGA signal out of the D90?

Ralph Oshiro
11-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Black cardboard; double-stick tape, judiciously applied.

Good idea. Maybe construct a LARGE black Foamcore snoot, that kinda houses the entire camera body (so that you have something to attach it to). Or, maybe even a snoot made out of that black plastic sheet material (I forget what it's called--they use to laminate posters on) with a built-in 1/4"-20 thumbscrew thing that could attach to the receiver on the bottom of the D90.