PDA

View Full Version : ok, so if i buck down for FCP will I be happy?

shreddog
11-27-2008, 08:55 AM
Looking at final cut studio. $1200. ouch . this is gonna sting.
Used final cut before but never owned it. Was a big premiere user for a long time.
Last couple projects i did were punched out by IMOVIE 06. Cheap wins and this came with me IMAC. So now i have this wicked HMC-150 and can't get at my footy. i have tryed voltaic etc but wasnt impressed.
Will I be happy with final cut studio? I have shot all of my footy at 720 60p in the hopes of slowing down some of it later. Will this software run 720 60p ( after converting) on a 30p timeline as slowmo? What options do I have using my 60p footage as regular speed on a 30p timeline? I would go with FCE but I understand it doesn't work like final cut studio. Wasn't given the update as of yet?

ANY WAYS........ Should i buck down for the $1200 final cut studio? or is there an easier and cheaper way for my imac to edit the 150's footage.

Running out of card space and must dump footy soon. AAAAAHHH!

VictorS
11-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Final Cut will import your footage and Cinema Tools (comes with FCP Studio) will turn 60p into 30p slomo.

How happy you'll be with it depends on you.

grinner
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
ouch my booty.
Your are loking at the most bang for the buck in the NLE world. Get it. Master it. then bill the dog out of it.
ouch is reserved for those of us who handed Avid six figures and got so little back for it.

studio1972
11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
FCE does work like FCP, but it doesn't have the extra programmes with it such as color etc. I use FCE but I am planning to upgrade to FCS when FCS3 comes out. Main issue regarding the HMC is that it converts to AIC instead of pro res, and there are some glitches in PH mode with long cliips.

FCE is a good way to try out FCP though IMHO as the interface is almost identical.

shreddog
11-27-2008, 07:51 PM
so in FCE would i just take my 720 60p footy and
Modify
- speed to 50% ( with no frame blending?)

should this give me smooth slowmo?
Thanks

Thomas Lew
11-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Well personally I work with FCP all the time and I love it. If you will be happy is up to u lol

JonathanS
11-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Of course, the other way of editing AVCHD footage is to buy the current version of iLife, '08. iMovie08 is, in some ways, a step back from the previous version, but for bashing stuff together quickly there's really nothing like it. Work within its limitations, and it can be tremendously quick. When you run headlong into things it can't do - well, that's what Final Cut XML export is for. You can push your timeline and media straight into Final Cut Express. I've only done this with MPEG2/.MOD video, but it's worked surprisingly smoothly.

All of this is assuming, of course, that you have an Intel-based iMac. If you're on an older PowerPC machine than Voltaic is your only option, I believe.

JaviBUSA08
11-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Just a tip, which I am sure most of you know. if you are currently enrolled in school/university you can get FCP for half the price. I believe the academic one is $600 dollars. And yes its EXACTLY the same as the normal one, they just slap academic label on it...

David Saraceno
11-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Toast 9 will convert MTS files from the HMC150 easily and much faster the Voltaic.

And unlike Voltaic or FCP, it will convert to any codec on your computer. We go to DVCProHD.

Also, the time controls in Motion 3 are absolutely fantastic -- uses Shake's algorithms. You also can ramp the clips.

niugnep
11-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Just a tip, which I am sure most of you know. if you are currently enrolled in school/university you can get FCP for half the price. I believe the academic one is $600 dollars. And yes its EXACTLY the same as the normal one, they just slap academic label on it...

Isn't there a licensing issue when doing work-for-hire with an academic version of FC?

Plus, I do know that academic FC is not upgradeable to the next version.

-David

Justyn
11-28-2008, 02:51 PM
make sure though that you are on an intel mac.. It doesn't support it on the powerpc macs.

JaviBUSA08
11-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Isn't there a licensing issue when doing work-for-hire with an academic version of FC?.

Probably, But how exactly would they know you are doing work for hire with it?

Plus, I do know that academic FC is not upgradeable to the next version.

Yes this is true, but you are saving half on the retail price. In the long run you would probably save more money by buying it full price then only paying for the upgrade from then on. But if he needs it now and can't afford the 1200, the discount would be an option.

David Saraceno
11-29-2008, 09:43 AM
There are no restrictions with the academic license? Big misconception that you cannot do commercial work if you legally own an academic license

The only requirement is acquiring the academic license -- must be that eligibility.

Justyn
11-30-2008, 07:15 AM
I started out way back on an academic version and like david said, you just have to be legit... but you can't upgrade and that's almost a deal breaker with the way that things go in this business. Without this new FCP I wouldn't be able to really ingest the 150... so there's a trade off for saving money, but you certainly can do the work and make money with that licensed version... and if you think you won't need an upgrade for a while.. then might be worth it...

JaviBUSA08
11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, what do you mean by upgrade? You mean like when FCP 3 comes out? Yes you are right, but you can update. You get all the updates everyone else has and gets....

shreddog
11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
my initial enquiry was just to see who has fcp and if it works properly.
I shot in highest quality mode at 720 60p.
If I buy for $1200 will this work?
i have a 2.16ghz intel core duo imac running osx version 10.4.11 and I have 1.5 gigs of 667 mhz of sdram.
I have tired using my hmc-150 with a friends FCE and it contstantly crashes in log and transfer.

Lithos
12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
can you trascode w/ Toast 9 on a powerpc?