PDA

View Full Version : Ok, need your help guys....

jona816
11-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Having somewhat of a problem. I am working on a project with someone and my responsibility is pretty much to shoot and edit. Now, thath's all dandy. Shot one episode of a web series. edited the footage on premiere but for some reason, kept getting an error message and found no solutions. ok, so i turn to vegas, re-edit everything and works like a charm. so now i figure, no more premiere and hello vegas. Get back on tonight to edit another episode, now vegas is freezing up before i can even edit a minute's worth of footage. cannot figure out the problem for the life of me despite my numerous searched here and various other forums. Even ehile rendering a very short clip, it would hang, stopping at about 96-99% and the elapsed timer will keep on moving but nothing happens. I've been messing with this all night and i've just about had enough. so i go to resort to transcoding using the mainconcept transcoder downloaded from the panasonic website and for some reason it is not picking up any of my saved files to transcode. what gives??? why is the transcoder not working. i tried installing and re-installing to no avail. i love the hmc-150 but this format is really giving me a headache. can anyone pleae, please help!? thanks in advance.

Jon

morbs98
11-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I too have encountered the same problems with Vegas freezing up during renders. Vegas also crashes if I scrub past the end of certain clips. We'll just have to wait until the next update is released to see if any of these problems are resolved.

As for the transcoder problem, did you copy the entire BDMV folder to your computer? That could be it. BTW, the transcoded files are incompatible with Vegas, so you'll need the Raylight plugin. Hope this helps.

Mike

jona816
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
hey morbs,

no i didn't copy the entire folder. only the clips themselves.

morbs98
11-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Yup, that's the prob. You have to copy the entire BDMV folder straight from the SDHC card to your computer, and keep the same folder structure as well.

VideoMaker
11-18-2008, 03:27 AM
In addition to what's already been stated, two things to check:

1. 60p footage is problematic in this release of Vegas. Sony is aware of the problem so there may be a fix in the next release.

2. Be sure to turn OFF you anti-virus software when you render. I also close the firewall to prevent anything going in our out of the pc. I had gotten lazy with this when rendering SD, but now with AVCHD it seems to make a difference.

kurtmo
11-18-2008, 04:24 AM
I noticed the random "end of clip freeze" in vegas quite a while ago. I too am resorting to transcoding and raylight. BTW, the workaround with vegas is to shorten the endo of clips, but it won't work for longer clips that are longer than 30 minutes.

jona816
11-18-2008, 04:52 AM
thanks for the reply guys, i will take all into consideration, cross my fingers, and pray for an update very soon.

jeff9329
11-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Jona:

You didn't say what type of HMC-150 file you are working with or what you are rendering to.

Im using Vegas 8.0c and have been shooting weddings in 1080i and 720P30. I am generally rendering to NTSC DV widescreen for the final project and some to the HDV template to make HD-DVDs for a few people.

I have not had any footage problems at all. These projects are also using XH-A1 and/or JVC HD footage also placed directly on the timeline as they are multi-camera shoots. I should add that one of the current projects is large (300 GB/8 tracks) and has frozen when putting clips on the timeline & required a re-boot two or three times.

In summary, I have had excellent results with 8.0c and the HMC-150 AVCHD files and have test rendered all kinds of DV and HD files while experimenting with the camera. I have never had a single render hang up.

I see that there are some people in the Sonycreativesoftware Vegas forum having problems too. I would definately search the Sony forum for help. And Videomakers advice is correct. A few people were fixed when the anti-virus was turned off, even though this never mattered in the past.

Since many people have working installs of Vegas, if I were you I would go all out on your machine and check out your machine including using memtest86+, turn off or down the OCing, and then re-install Vegas and uninstall the anti-virus for testing. You should also monitor your memory and CPU usage as the render progresses to see exactly whats happening.

Later

jona816
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks jeff, as far what mode i use, 720/24p, rendered both ntsc dv and hdv. like i said, for some reason first time around it worked like a charm. second go at it, that's when all the problems started to occur without me making any changes. i just changed my comps mem usage and disabled my antivirus and worked on a few clips, so far nothing to report. just keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to perform without any problems. thanks again!

Jona

jeff9329
11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks jeff, as far what mode i use, 720/24p, rendered both ntsc dv and hdv. like i said, for some reason first time around it worked like a charm. second go at it, that's when all the problems started to occur without me making any changes. i just changed my comps mem usage and disabled my antivirus and worked on a few clips, so far nothing to report. just keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue to perform without any problems. thanks again!

Jona

Jona:

The 720P24 seems to be the only one that dosen't work natively. I just tried it today. Frustrating.

The 1080i and 720P30 work great though. Haven't tried 720P60.

Hopefully the next Vegas release will fix it and provide a little better/faster file handling.

Jeff

jona816
11-21-2008, 08:51 PM
i sure hope so. the only workaround that seems to work is simply by not playing the clip to the end and saving every two minutes, lol.