PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Canadians ..please.

BrianMurphy
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Has anyone in Canada taken delivery of an HMC 150 from a Canadian dealer?
Thanks
Brian
(Still waiting........)

Paul Vicente
11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I got mine last week. Just kidding. No, not yet. I was told first week of November, now it is mid to end of November. Whatever. I put $100 down as a deposit, so I am not concerned. I can still use my HVX.

shreddog
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I am canadian and couldn't wait. bought from B&H out of New York

BrianMurphy
11-14-2008, 07:09 AM
I got mine last week. Just kidding. No, not yet. I was told first week of November, now it is mid to end of November. Whatever. I put $100 down as a deposit, so I am not concerned. I can still use my HVX.
Hehehe you had me there for a second. I pre-paid for mine to guarantee the price so you and I are probably safe but I was told yesterday that due to the falling dollar the price was going to go up. Or at least that is what the guy from Vistek Toronto said. He also said something about holding them back until they did a price adjustment.

I am canadian and couldn't wait. bought from B&H out of New York

I hate waitng but didn't want to do the BH thing for a camera. I buy some stuff out of the US retail stores and on line but when it comes to a camera I get nervous about warranty issues. I don't want to have to send or bring my camera to the US and then do the reverse should there be a warranty claim. I am sure you will be fine since Panasonic makes great gear but in my old age I tend to be cautious.
Brian

Paul Vicente
11-25-2008, 07:54 AM
I received my HMC 150 yesterday. Probably the first in Canada.

My initial impressions are very good. I love the size, the light weight, and it balances in the hand very well. The image quality is what I expected, similar to the HVX200, but better low light performance and less noise.

The lcd flip feature is improved over the HPX 170, as the data remains on the screen--very good for 35mm adapter users. The flip also works properly in palyback mode, with everything flipped correctly while browsing through selected clips. I only wish they had flipped the recording itself as well.

The lcd is shaper than the HVX200 and HVX200A. The focus assist is much better, as the magnification fills the entire screen. The lcd is a big improvement, in my opinion.

The PH mode looks very good, even in 1080 mode. Overall, the image appears sharper than the DVCPRO HD stuff I am acustomed to. I feel the same way for the other recording modes as well. I know many here are stuck on the PH mode, but the other modes have their own uses as well. I would not hesitate to use them, say for special event video, or long events.

Now, if only Speed Edit (the NLE I use for HD work) supported AVCHD, it would be perfect. For now, I have to convert the AVCHD to DVCPRO HD, and that involves a hit to the horizontal resolution, as AVCHD is full raster, but DVCPRO HD is not. Hopefully there will be a Raylight application for AVCHD soon, that preserves the resolution while giving me an intermediate codec until Newtek delivers with a new version of Speed Edit.

This camera looks very promising, and should be alot of fun to use, while delivering professional results.

Cheers,
Paul Vicente

kidstick
11-25-2008, 08:51 AM
I received my HMC 150 yesterday. Probably the first in Canada.

My initial impressions are very good. I love the size, the light weight, and it balances in the hand very well. The image quality is what I expected, similar to the HVX200, but better low light performance and less noise.

The lcd flip feature is improved over the HPX 170, as the data remains on the screen--very good for 35mm adapter users. The flip also works properly in palyback mode, with everything flipped correctly while browsing through selected clips. I only wish they had flipped the recording itself as well.

The lcd is shaper than the HVX200 and HVX200A. The focus assist is much better, as the magnification fills the entire screen. The lcd is a big improvement, in my opinion.

The PH mode looks very good, even in 1080 mode. Overall, the image appears sharper than the DVCPRO HD stuff I am acustomed to. I feel the same way for the other recording modes as well. I know many here are stuck on the PH mode, but the other modes have their own uses as well. I would not hesitate to use them, say for special event video, or long events.

Now, if only Speed Edit (the NLE I use for HD work) supported AVCHD, it would be perfect. For now, I have to convert the AVCHD to DVCPRO HD, and that involves a hit to the horizontal resolution, as AVCHD is full raster, but DVCPRO HD is not. Hopefully there will be a Raylight application for AVCHD soon, that preserves the resolution while giving me an intermediate codec until Newtek delivers with a new version of Speed Edit.

This camera looks very promising, and should be alot of fun to use, while delivering professional results.

Cheers,
Paul Vicente
Wow lucky you, Iam ordering mine in december. Where did you get yours.???

dmc
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Paul,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the camera!

Mind if I asked what you paid for it here in Canada - last I checked they still hadn't nailed down the price yet...

dmc

Paul Vicente
11-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey Paul,

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the camera!

Mind if I asked what you paid for it here in Canada - last I checked they still hadn't nailed down the price yet...

dmc

I paid $3800 CAN on November 25, when the exchange rate was about $1.23 Canadian to the US Dollar, so in US Dollar terms, I paid about $3100 USD.

Cheers,
Paul Vicente

dmc
11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Cool - thanks for the feedback.

dmc

BrianMurphy
11-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I am in LA on a shoot and got the call telling me my camera was waiting for me in Toronto. Can't wait to get it!

Thebodoin
11-26-2008, 06:51 PM
A man from VGA Communication in Montreal called me today.
The HMC150 is available!
3999$ as on Panasonic canada
:)
Cheer up

kidstick
11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
A man from VGA Communication in Montreal called me today.
The HMC150 is available!
3999$ as on Panasonic canada
:)
Cheer up

Mon ami travail pour intercitévideo(le plus gros depositaire panasonic broadcast a mtl), la camera est a 3850

Lithos
11-27-2008, 10:55 AM
bought mine from vistek. ships today.

Thebodoin
11-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Mon ami travail pour intercitévideo(le plus gros depositaire panasonic broadcast a mtl), la camera est a 3850

Ouais mais en plus j'ai eu un prix avec une batterie en extra et carte 16gb.
Malgré que je crois que la carte vien avec.
However, le service labas est EXELLENT!!!

kidstick
11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Ouais mais en plus j'ai eu un prix avec une batterie en extra et carte 16gb.
Malgré que je crois que la carte vien avec.
However, le service labas est EXELLENT!!!

Si tu a une batterie et une carte 16gig panasonic. cest bon comme prix.
Juste par curiosité, quelle type de footage tu va filmer.