PDA

View Full Version : C'mon... anyone using MainConcept Transcoder?

ullanta
11-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Sorry folks, I'd really try it myself but don't have a handy Windows setup.

Please, can anyone confirm that the MainConcept transcoder properly handles PH mode (especially 30p) clips? And does it properly handle clips of > 1 hour?

The MainConcept docs say "Please control the data size under 4GB when you export a clip to a P2 card." What does this mean, in practice? And does this mean "P2 card image" or actual P2 card? Does this mean no clip that would result in transcoded data larger than 4GB can be transcoded?

mcsmooth
11-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Clips that are spanned over 4GB files will seamlessly merge back together with this transcoder. I didn't specifically try it at 30p, but I would assume the algorithm for this is the same in all modes.

They are talking about if you are going to physically put files onto a P2 card. DVCProHD and AVCHD do not have 4GB limits on your computer (with the right file system), but the media/cameras do have this limit. I don't see many people doing this, the real point of transcoding to this format is for editing, then your NLE will handle the final output.

Hidef1080
11-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I have used it with PH 30p 1080 and 720 with zero problems.
I have not shot anything close to 1 hour so I cannot say anything about that part.
Sorry.

ullanta
11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
McSmooth... have you tried long clips (over, say, 40 minutes)? I managed to get the transcoder running on an old laptop (SLOWLY)... but it always quits in the middle of long clips.

Please, if anyone can verify/counter this on a decent system...

I have no trouble with other modes using Final Cut Pro.... I've shot, imported, and edited about 20 clips over 50 minutes each in HA, HG, and HG. But PH is a no-go...

mcsmooth
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I did a test that was at least 40 mins long and spanned 2 files, will try a full 16gb card. My computer is relatively slow, so am wondering if there is some other hardware issue causing the problem for you (ram, cpu specific, etc). Any error messages or anything look fishy in the performance monitor?

I didn't realize the FCP issue was specific to PH mode. I'm pretty sure other cameras were not using as high a bit rate, VBR, or CABAC that PH mode relies on. Hopefully the problem software out there simply hadn't tested those factors and can be fixed with minor tweaks.

Sounds like you have a ton of footage already. Doing tests, or is that from event footage?

ullanta
11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Tests in PH, actual events in other modes. I'd love to be shooting events in PH... but have no workflow for it!

And, yes, FCP has been flaweless for non-PH modes for me... even on pretty slow old 1st-gen intel iMac.

And, yes, as I said, I'm running MainConcept on an old 1.6GHz T42 Thinkpad... certainly below spec... which is why I'm pleading for others to try. This is a stopgap measure (I hope) until the FCP handling of PH mode shapes up... so I don't want to invest too much into it until I'm sure it'll work...

studio1972
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Ullanta,

Just wondering if you had tried a 1 hour + clip in 17mbps mode. If this works then that gives me a nice workflow for weddings etc. PH mode imports fine for me as long as it it 1080i and it is below 30 mins. Over 30 mins and I get a glitch at the join, which lasts a few seconds. 720p/1080p footage crashes during transcoding so I have given up on that for the time being. I'm using FCE, but it seems like the issues are probably the same as with FCS.

Many thanks,

Stu

ullanta
11-15-2008, 12:51 AM
I've Log'n'Transferred a lot of long clips in all non-PH modes, with no problems.

Tonight I recorded a concert half in HA at 1/30th shutter, and half in PH 30p... if I can get the PH transcoded nicely, it'll be an interesting direct comparison...

-Barry