PDA

View Full Version : New music video "You Aint" shot on HPX500

TizzyEntertainment
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Yet another.. this one we got to get a little more creative then the norm on but still had severe financial limitations and some of our more extravagant ideas got shot down by the artist.

Though I was the editor there are a few cuts I am not thrilled with. Apparently the clients came in and "tinkered" with the final cut before color. I have also heard since they got the final they ran it through some over the counter video editing system with cheesy FX because they wanted to make it more "cartoony" but we have not seen that version and I am pleased enough with this one. At any rate.. enjoy, comments welcome.

Shot in one 14 hour day, a single location, 1 HPX500. 2 ton grip truck, skeleton crew.. set backs such as the rental company saying, "Oh.. you needed the green screen? Oh, we rented it out yesterday, we will have to track down another one for you" and similar scenarios lead to some wasted time. She wanted comic book and 80's on a shoe string, she got this. Then the client (as is the case with ALL "low budget" clients it seems) wanted more done in post.. and more.. and more... finally we had to say, "No sorry, without more money that is all we can do" and as it stands there is still an outstanding bill.

http://www.vimeo.com/2227593

-Tizzy

Gary Parkinson
11-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Well done! The pace of the edit for that song was spot on, the only thing I didnt like was a few scenes that I felt were over lit and kind of made them look a bit more video looking.
There were some shots however that were softly lit and looked awsome. But I guess if she was going for some colourful cartoony look then thats the way it had to be.

Nicely done Tizzy, hope you paid soon.

Noel Evans
11-16-2008, 12:46 PM
wanted more done in post.. and more.. and more... finally we had to say, "No sorry, without more money that is all we can do" and as it stands there is still an outstanding bill.

-Tizzy

Well I think you did a pretty darn good job on a tight budget and can relate to your statement. Im glad to hear you put a stop to it. I allow for only one change session, these things can drag on forever.

I hope at least you got a 50% upfront? And I simply wouldnt deliver without the balance.

pathfinder
11-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Yet another.. this one we got to get a little more creative then the norm on but still had severe financial limitations and some of our more extravagant ideas got shot down by the artist.

Though I was the editor there are a few cuts I am not thrilled with. Apparently the clients came in and "tinkered" with the final cut before color. I have also heard since they got the final they ran it through some over the counter video editing system with cheesy FX because they wanted to make it more "cartoony" but we have not seen that version and I am pleased enough with this one. At any rate.. enjoy, comments welcome.

Shot in one 14 hour day, a single location, 1 HPX500. 2 ton grip truck, skeleton crew.. set backs such as the rental company saying, "Oh.. you needed the green screen? Oh, we rented it out yesterday, we will have to track down another one for you" and similar scenarios lead to some wasted time. She wanted comic book and 80's on a shoe string, she got this. Then the client (as is the case with ALL "low budget" clients it seems) wanted more done in post.. and more.. and more... finally we had to say, "No sorry, without more money that is all we can do" and as it stands there is still an outstanding bill.

-Tizzy

You came off sounding like this will be the first and the last time you will work with these people...?

Pretty good for what it is.

TizzyEntertainment
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
You came off sounding like this will be the first and the last time you will work with these people...?

Pretty good for what it is.

No I would not go that far.. should they pay the balance we start fresh, though they would most likely be required to come up with the full amount ahead of time.

I can tell you there was more then 50% received and I never deliver without receiving my full amount (not since one such incident) but this was not my project. I was brought in as editor and I did not hand over the cut, someone else did. I was paid my full amount so I really have no qualms.

I would agree wit the lighting comment, but honestly they kept fighting to make it look more and more video like. In fact I had to put my foot down in post, they wanted one of those cheesy "video lines across the screen" plug ins applied to the entire video. They believed it gave it a "video" look, I came up with the cartoony color effect in response which they liked but I believe after receiving the master they captured it into some cheesy over the counter editor and applied the video lines anyway. Oh well, at least we got to do something outside the norm.

Thanks for the love guys.

Tizzy

G.P.
10-28-2009, 05:14 AM
I always hate clients like that, why hire professionals if you're going to end up messing up everything you paid them to do anyway? I have had a ton of great stuff changed because the people paying the bills wanted his/her say instead of letting the guy being hired to do his job.

TizzyEntertainment
10-29-2009, 07:36 AM
I always hate clients like that, why hire professionals if you're going to end up messing up everything you paid them to do anyway? I have had a ton of great stuff changed because the people paying the bills wanted his/her say instead of letting the guy being hired to do his job.

Sadly such is the nature of the beast, and until you are Spike Jonze or Marc Webb or Joseph Kahn and have the weight to say, "Its like this or not at all" it is what it is.

Tizzy

GrippagePlus
11-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Great. I like it.