PDA

View Full Version : Full shooting package for HMC150

Da3vid
11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
So, I've been doing a lot of research and I think the HMC150 is for me. I mostly work on short films and some independent features. The productions I've worked on have used lots of random cameras... whether its some weird off the wall camera rigged up to be good enough, an HVX200, or the RED One... I've been on productions across the whole range. I also will probably try to pick up a few more event videographer gigs, maybe even a wedding or two... and also try to branch out into some more commercial work. You know, something to help make ends meet. Part of the motivation for going ahead and buying my own camera is to help my DP, so he can rent it out for me while he's working on other productions. I'm hoping to get $150 to $250/day rented out of my shooting package to help recoup some of the costs. That being said, I'm looking for links to reputable dealers with good prices for these items...

1) Obviously, the HMC-150. Looks like it should be easy to get $3400ish.

2) An extra battery. It looks like I can get the Panasonic 5800mA battery for $180ish. I couldn't find any generics at this point in the game. I think I can get by with one extra battery at this point.

3) An extra memory card. I think it comes with an 8gb, and I want at least one more. Panasonic's cards seem really expensive. I think I can get one of SanDisk's Extreme III 16gb class 6 SDHC cards for about $130. I think thats probably my best option for memory? I own a Transcend 16gb class 6 SDHC that I use for my Asus EEE. I spotted one sitting in someone's picture... do you think that is sufficient? They're only $30 for a 16gb card! I should probably pick up 2 16gb cards total.

4) Tripod. I looked at the Bogen 501HDV. Looks to be about $500, but I think it may be more than I need. I also have considered the Libec TH-M20 which is around $180... I think it may good enough? Tripods are where I'm most conflicted at this point. What are you guys using? What do you think is a good value?

5) Camera case. Should I go soft or hard? Hard seems to have better protection, but soft can accomodate a little more flexibility about bringing different pieces of gear. I considered a soft Kata case for $100. This is another area where I'm really looking for which one you guys have or what you recommend as a good value.

6) A 72mm UV filter, seems to be $20 to $40

I don't think there is anything else I need... I think I'm going to buy a cheap monitor and some extra wiring in a couple weeks at Thanksgiving... probably just going to buy a top end PC monitor to use. I'll modify a mount for a C-stand for it... but I think thats my full list. I think I have a compatible mic and audio equipment I have access to from a colleague. If I sent out the package with my DP, would they be expecting mics? Depending on how everything goes, I will probably end up getting a 35mm adapter in about 3 months as a lot of the work is narrative. I'm trying to think of any other random things I need to buy :huh:

So, where would you buy these things? And what would you be buying? I saw some shooter's kits available but they didn't seem to cover my needs. Any retailers who would put together a good package deal, maybe give me a discount if I purchase everything at once? Thanks for any help!

I found these 2 threads which have some information... posting links for reference! Hopefully we can consolidate a basic package to this thread.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=149761
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=149372

:dankk2:
-Da3vid-

Mike Harvey
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
1) Got my HMC from Full Compass. Highly recommend them. They also give a discount to DVXuser members. A lot of other people have gone through Specialized Communications. Both outfits have sales folks poking around on this board, and they tend to be very helpful and friendly.

2) I bought two of the 5800mA batteries for about that price. Probably could have just bought one... but if it can go wrong, it will (especially at a wedding ). So an extra may not be a bad Idea. And they last forever.

3) It does not come with a card. So you'll buy a few of them. A 16gig will last you about 90minutes... which for some weddings you may need. Buy them from Newegg.com. Dirt cheap.

4) I have a Bogan 3182 with the older 501 head. Single stage sticks with a ball head. I bought it new for a little under $500 from B&H a few years ago. Very happy with them. I'd rather over do it a bit on sticks and know that it's going to be smooth.

5) I have a Pelican 1650 hard case. With pick-and-plug foam it was around $200... but it will carry everything except the tripod. It's also built like a tank and waterproof. And it has wheels, which is awfully darn handy.

6) B&H for the UV filter... they have a lot.

You might also want to invest in at least one good wireless mic set up, especially if you're doing a few weddings. On camera mic won't cut it. Oh, and you'll probably want a good shotgun.

Hope that helps :)

Da3vid
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
1) Got my HMC from Full Compass. Highly recommend them. They also give a discount to DVXuser members. A lot of other people have gone through Specialized Communications. Both outfits have sales folks poking around on this board, and they tend to be very helpful and friendly.

2) I bought two of the 5800mA batteries for about that price. Probably could have just bought one... but if it can go wrong, it will (especially at a wedding ). So an extra may not be a bad Idea. And they last forever.

3) It does not come with a card. So you'll buy a few of them. A 16gig will last you about 90minutes... which for some weddings you may need. Buy them from Newegg.com. Dirt cheap.

4) I have a Bogan 3182 with the older 501 head. Single stage sticks with a ball head. I bought it new for a little under $500 from B&H a few years ago. Very happy with them. I'd rather over do it a bit on sticks and know that it's going to be smooth.

5) I have a Pelican 1650 hard case. With pick-and-plug foam it was around $200... but it will carry everything except the tripod. It's also built like a tank and waterproof. And it has wheels, which is awfully darn handy.

6) B&H for the UV filter... they have a lot.

You might also want to invest in at least one good wireless mic set up, especially if you're doing a few weddings. On camera mic won't cut it. Oh, and you'll probably want a good shotgun.

Hope that helps :)

Helpful advice!

2) I assume you mean you bought two batteries at $180 each, right? B&H has them for $175 right now. It just occurred to me. I'm betting the HMC doesn't come with a battery charger, right? I'll have to buy that separate. Another $100?

3) I love Newegg! They've always treated me well. Which cards are you going with? Do you feel comfortable with the $30 Transcend or A-Data, or are you getting the more expensive high performance SanDisks?

4) Doesn't look like prices have moved much there! I'm really conflicted about the sticks and head set up. For one, I do expect it to outlast the camera, so maybe I should be dedicating a higher budget to it... I do kind of feel I have been undervaluing quality here... trying to cut too many corners. Everyone just keeps trying to push my budget up up up on this part. I'm not going to buy a $2k head/sticks for my $3500 camera. But I haven't decided where to draw the line... a lot of people seem to be aiming towards the Bogen 501 and 503.

5) That Pelican 1650 still seems to be just under $200 on B&H. I really like the professional look it has. Do you ever feel like its overkill?

Mike Harvey
11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I meant $180 each. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I actually just went with the Transcend... but I've only had the camera a week (most of my setup was for my DVX, and I'm just swapping it out for the HMC) and haven't been able to actually use them yet. I bought four of them... still cheaper than the higher end ones, and if one craps out, I have plenty of extras.

Yeah, $2k might be a bit of overkill for sticks :)... but the $350-$500 range for a decent set of Bogen sticks and head is pretty good. I highly recommend getting a setup with a ball head too. Honestly, I thought it was a bit much at the time... but once I actually started using my sticks, I have never had buyers remorse once.

I honestly don't care about the look of the 1650, I just like the peace of mind knowing my camera and gear is well protected. I also like the fact most of my gear will easily fit in it (I bought a second small Pelican case for my audio gear since I don't always need it, and I plan on getting a 35mm adapter and support and putting it in the 1650). The fact that it has a retractable handle and roll around wheels is also a big (if a bit noisy on concrete) convenience.

And honestly, I've had a few clients comment "that I must be serious" when they see me roll in with the 1650 as opposed to some little soft case :thumbsup:

ilauzirika
11-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Hi there,

The camera does come with a charger, so no worries there. I also bought one pana 5800 battery, and it works great and lasts around 300 minutes.

About the case, I love hard cases (you know, after spending 3440€ in a camera I prefer it to be under the protection of a sturdy and waterproof case.....). That said, I bought a im2500 stormacase (photos here (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/album.php?albumid=49)). Note that I had to cut a hole in the upper foam to accomodate the camera..... that's cause I didn't think to much before cutting the hole (bad Inaki bad....). To accomodate it without having to cut a hole there you could try putting the camera sidewise.......
That case is great and has wheels (you know, the best invention of all times...).

More I would really look for a mic (don't use the on camera mic, look for a used ntg-1 or -2 that will sound way better....).

And sticks.....I'm still saving for them.....and I'm still undecided about which ones to buy...

hope this helps

btw, you'll really enjoy this camera!

Barry_Green
11-12-2008, 08:02 AM
1) Obviously, the HMC-150. Looks like it should be easy to get $3400ish.
Try Abel Cine Tech, EVS, AVS, Full Compass, Spec-Comm, VideoScope, VideoTex, CineQuipt, Roscor, DVW... I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it from a great dealer for that price or even less.

3) An extra memory card. I think it comes with an 8gb, and I want at least one more. Panasonic's cards seem really expensive. I think I can get one of SanDisk's Extreme III 16gb class 6 SDHC cards for about $130. I think thats probably my best option for memory?
Sounds really expensive; I bought some 8GB class 6 cards, SanDisk & Kingston, for $17 each. They work fine.

4) Tripod. I looked at the Bogen 501HDV. Looks to be about $500, but I think it may be more than I need. I also have considered the Libec TH-M20 which is around $180... I think it may good enough? Tripods are where I'm most conflicted at this point. What are you guys using? What do you think is a good value?
501 is a weenie head. Get at least a 503.

6) A 72mm UV filter, seems to be $20 to $40
If you're going to stick one of those things on, get the very best one you can. I recommend the B+W MRC.

David Saraceno
11-12-2008, 09:32 AM

A "weenie head?"

Is that a term of art?

:)

13th Judas
11-12-2008, 10:32 AM
A "weenie head?"

Is that a term of art?

:)

when my girlfriend broke up with me, she called me "weenie head". i don't know why :huh:

Da3vid
11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
About the case, I love hard cases (you know, after spending 3440 in a camera I prefer it to be under the protection of a sturdy and waterproof case.....). That said, I bought a im2500 stormacase (photos here (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/album.php?albumid=49)).

More I would really look for a mic (don't use the on camera mic, look for a used ntg-1 or -2 that will sound way better....).

hope this helps

btw, you'll really enjoy this camera!

That does help! How much did you spend on your storm case? I think for mic, I'm going to use some loaners on the projects I'm working on. Don't worry, I won't be using on camera mic :) Thanks for the recommendation. It'll give me somewhere to start looking. I'm excited about the camera!

Da3vid
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Try Abel Cine Tech, EVS, AVS, Full Compass, Spec-Comm, VideoScope, VideoTex, CineQuipt, Roscor, DVW... I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it from a great dealer for that price or even less.

Sounds really expensive; I bought some 8GB class 6 cards, SanDisk & Kingston, for $17 each. They work fine.

If you're going to stick one of those things on, get the very best one you can. I recommend the B+W MRC.
I've already looked at a few of those dealers. I think that looks like a solid list. I think I'm probably going to get those 16gb class 6 cards by Transcend. Newegg has them for $30.

Strong feelings about the 501, eh? Is the 503 that large of a step up?

You sound hesitant about the UV... do you not advise it?

Barry_Green
11-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Strong feelings about the 501, eh? Is the 503 that large of a step up?
Not really, but it's at least better than the 501.

You sound hesitant about the UV... do you not advise it?
I hate it when people take a $3,000 to $10,000 high-def camcorder with a Leica Dicomar or Zeiss lens, and then put a $20 piece of coke-bottle glass on the front of it. Cheap filters just degrade the image. I never use them unless the lens is in danger (like a moving car shot or something like that). And even then, I only use the best I can get (such as the B+W MRC).

Bassman2003
11-12-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree.

I did some testing with my still cameras and with filter, the image was a bit softer. These upressed chipped cameras need all of the detail you can get.

Lens caps and caution protect more than anything.

I got a great deal on an HPX-500 from Full Compass and would have purchased the HMC-150 from them but they were out and I needed one.

BTW, Barry, thanks for your help on my camera choice. I am really happy with the HMC-150.

The 501 or 503 are not huge heads, but what is more important is solid legs. I would get something sturdy.

Justyn
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I also second spending a bit more on a good filter. I just bought a Multicoated B and W for 70 bucks. I think their step-up rings and filters are just awesome.

I also Hate those bogens 501 and 503. I'd say to get a cheaper libec or something and or get a real heavy duty set of sticks. I've done both. I'll give a report on the new set of sticks I just picked up for 200. Those Bogens are just bad bad .. too light and wonky IMHO> I'd rather lug my huge set of old bogen sticks which are rock solid, with tons of adjustements and since I bought it used... still cheaper than the 501....

A few other things that I would say are a MUST.. and they won't break your bank.

1. Monopod. Great for steady handheld stuff and awesome for high angle shots. This will pay off for a crowded room, etc.

2. Cleaning microfibre, compressed air, miscellaneous gack to go into the bag.. connectors, cables, all that usual stuff that you might need. XLR, etc...

3. A good quality toucgh LED video light. I recommend either the super cheap camping LEDs for like 15 bucks or the VidLed Light.

4. A stabilizer for handholding. I like the spiderbrace and it's so darn cheap.

5. Set of filters. Especially a nice circular polorizer.

6. Lens hood for the LCD is cool too. Maybe some eye shammies if you use the EVF.

cheers and good luck with it all. Like others mentioned, a good Lav is a must, Possibly getting a decent boom pole and a nice shotgun is also good.. and FINALLY. Get yourself a good set of reference headphones.

Da3vid
11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree.

I did some testing with my still cameras and with filter, the image was a bit softer. These upressed chipped cameras need all of the detail you can get.

Lens caps and caution protect more than anything.

I got a great deal on an HPX-500 from Full Compass and would have purchased the HMC-150 from them but they were out and I needed one.

BTW, Barry, thanks for your help on my camera choice. I am really happy with the HMC-150.

The 501 or 503 are not huge heads, but what is more important is solid legs. I would get something sturdy.

Hm. So you go no filter? Interesting. I'm getting a lot of conflicting opinions about heads and legs... is this just a controversial subject, or is this more personal preference? In case you haven't noticed, I'm the meticulous research kind of guy, and I'm having a lot of trouble nailing this one down! :Drogar-Smoke(DBG):

Da3vid
11-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Not really, but it's at least better than the 501.

I hate it when people take a $3,000 to $10,000 high-def camcorder with a Leica Dicomar or Zeiss lens, and then put a $20 piece of coke-bottle glass on the front of it. Cheap filters just degrade the image. I never use them unless the lens is in danger (like a moving car shot or something like that). And even then, I only use the best I can get (such as the B+W MRC).

Yeah, the 503 is better than the 501. But isn't the 516 better than the 503? And isn't the Cartoni Focus better than that? It seems like each person who owns each unit believes its night and day better than the one before it. I can't figure out where to draw the line.

Also, what you're saying about the filter makes a lot of sense... so you're saying not even make sure you get a high quality one, but bypass the whole thing altogether? The risk outweighs the reward?

Da3vid
11-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I also second spending a bit more on a good filter. I just bought a Multicoated B and W for 70 bucks. I think their step-up rings and filters are just awesome.

I also Hate those bogens 501 and 503. I'd say to get a cheaper libec or something and or get a real heavy duty set of sticks. I've done both. I'll give a report on the new set of sticks I just picked up for 200. Those Bogens are just bad bad .. too light and wonky IMHO> I'd rather lug my huge set of old bogen sticks which are rock solid, with tons of adjustements and since I bought it used... still cheaper than the 501....

A few other things that I would say are a MUST.. and they won't break your bank.

1. Monopod. Great for steady handheld stuff and awesome for high angle shots. This will pay off for a crowded room, etc.

2. Cleaning microfibre, compressed air, miscellaneous gack to go into the bag.. connectors, cables, all that usual stuff that you might need. XLR, etc...

3. A good quality toucgh LED video light. I recommend either the super cheap camping LEDs for like 15 bucks or the VidLed Light.

4. A stabilizer for handholding. I like the spiderbrace and it's so darn cheap.

5. Set of filters. Especially a nice circular polorizer.

6. Lens hood for the LCD is cool too. Maybe some eye shammies if you use the EVF.

cheers and good luck with it all. Like others mentioned, a good Lav is a must, Possibly getting a decent boom pole and a nice shotgun is also good.. and FINALLY. Get yourself a good set of reference headphones.

A lot of this is good advice! I had most of that stuff, but I hadn't thought about a lens hood for the LCD. That does seem useful. The tripod is still really bothering me... the 501/503 while still getting a lot of flack from some, seem to be the most popular. I looked at the Libecs because of their price but I couldn't find one that had any consistency of good reviews. Which did you decide on?

Justyn
11-12-2008, 09:50 PM
I got this:

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=davissanford&itemnum=PROVISTA7518B

Found it for about 200 bucks. Gotten great reviews and can't beat the price. I have a really nice big bogen that I love.. and there's lots of nice ones out there, but personally those 501 and 503 heads are crap. I hate each and every time I have had to use one. A tripod should have some weight to it.. in my mind, unless you are backpacking.

I don't know how this one will be, as it arrives on Friday. I'll give you a full report next week..

Barry_Green
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, the 503 is better than the 501. But isn't the 516 better than the 503? And isn't the Cartoni Focus better than that?
Yes and yes. The Focus is the minimum head I'd recommend to anyone. But at $1400 for head & legs, it may be out of some folks' price range.

Also, what you're saying about the filter makes a lot of sense... so you're saying not even make sure you get a high quality one, but bypass the whole thing altogether? The risk outweighs the reward?
I'm saying I only use one when necessary, and I think the notion of "stick a cheap piece of glass in front of your high-def lens" is misguided. More glass = potential for reflections, diffusion of the image, etc. If you get the very best filter, it's not going to have much (if any) visible impact, so that's okay. But a cheap filter will just degrade everything you shoot.

BrianMurphy
11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
I am going to suggest that you consider a mono-pod in your kit. I use a Manfrotto 558B, it is solid, has a rubber foot, quickrelease column rather than twist to lock and is equipped with a manfrotto quickrelease head. If you are using a manfrotto tripod it makes it easy to snap on and off and helps steady shots but allows you to keep moving. There are other less expensive versions. It is always in my tripod bag.

ilauzirika
11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
That does help! How much did you spend on your storm case? I think for mic, I'm going to use some loaners on the projects I'm working on. Don't worry, I won't be using on camera mic :) Thanks for the recommendation. It'll give me somewhere to start looking. I'm excited about the camera!

Hi david!

It costed me around 220....but in $ is cheaper (i think around 160 or less dollars, look here for some rocommendations http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=151542.

Da3vid
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
I got this:
http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=davissanford&itemnum=PROVISTA7518B
Found it for about 200 bucks. Gotten great reviews and can't beat the price. I have a really nice big bogen that I love.. and there's lots of nice ones out there, but personally those 501 and 503 heads are crap. I hate each and every time I have had to use one. A tripod should have some weight to it.. in my mind, unless you are backpacking.

I don't know how this one will be, as it arrives on Friday. I'll give you a full report next week..

I'm very curious to hear your report. Did you look anywhere besides DVXuser for reviews? I know B&H has some listed... I saw some for the Provista 7518 on Amazon, and they looked very positive... but I wasn't sure what kind of user those people were.

Justyn
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I did a bit of research online. Amvona and amazon, and a few other sites. videographer had an indebth review and it got great marks. I think that it will be a decent tripod for what I'm doing. If I need critical stuff I still have my bigboy in the trunk of the car. I also know that Tiffen as a company produces some pretty nice stuff.

Either way, its a better choice than the Bogen imho. I also wanted a heavier tripod and this one fits the bill. It will be here tomorow so if you or others are interested.. I'll post a review and some pics. I can put up the HVX and telephoto and some other gack to see how it handles the weight.

Da3vid
11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I did a bit of research online. Amvona and amazon, and a few other sites. videographer had an indebth review and it got great marks. I think that it will be a decent tripod for what I'm doing. If I need critical stuff I still have my bigboy in the trunk of the car. I also know that Tiffen as a company produces some pretty nice stuff.

Either way, its a better choice than the Bogen imho. I also wanted a heavier tripod and this one fits the bill. It will be here tomorow so if you or others are interested.. I'll post a review and some pics. I can put up the HVX and telephoto and some other gack to see how it handles the weight.
Yeah, definitely! I look forward to seeing what you have to say about it.

Da3vid
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Yes and yes. The Focus is the minimum head I'd recommend to anyone. But at $1400 for head & legs, it may be out of some folks' price range.

I'm saying I only use one when necessary, and I think the notion of "stick a cheap piece of glass in front of your high-def lens" is misguided. More glass = potential for reflections, diffusion of the image, etc. If you get the very best filter, it's not going to have much (if any) visible impact, so that's okay. But a cheap filter will just degrade everything you shoot.

It's not a matter of lack of money for the Focus. I have the funds available... the matter is one of distribution. Is it really worth me investing $1400 into it, or using that money on other projects? I haven't been able to convince myself yet. But I really don't know. I guess I just don't have first hand experience with kind of difference this will result in as an end product.

As far as filters go, I'm on board with you. That all makes sense.

Da3vid
11-13-2008, 03:40 PM
I am going to suggest that you consider a mono-pod in your kit. I use a Manfrotto 558B, it is solid, has a rubber foot, quickrelease column rather than twist to lock and is equipped with a manfrotto quickrelease head. If you are using a manfrotto tripod it makes it easy to snap on and off and helps steady shots but allows you to keep moving. There are other less expensive versions. It is always in my tripod bag.

I've thought about the monopod... I think the times I'd be using a monopod... I'd be able to get by with a shoulder brace. Something I haven't 100% decided on, but I don't think I'll purchase initially. In what situations do you find it most useful?

Da3vid
11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I officially have my full kit IN HAND! I went out and played with it today. Here's what I went with:

HMC150
Bogen Manfrotto 503HDV/351MVB2k
Tiffen 72mm UV Filter
Panasonic 5800 mAh battery
2x 16gb class 6 Transcend SDHC cards
PortaBrace 2700F and Kata CC-193 cases.

I only got the Kata case because Bogen has a $100 rebate if you buy a Kata bag and a Bogen tripod. I got the PortaBrace because that is what I really wanted. :) I'm really happy with the quality / value of this kit.

Thanks for all your help!

m.t.
11-21-2008, 06:47 PM
The last pieces of my more or less finalized kit arrived today:

HMC150
2 pqi 16gb class6 sdhc
Libec H38/Miller Solo aluminium
UV coated filter
3 Panny 5800mAh batteries(one from shooter's pack)
zylight z50 w/tekkeon battery
Kata R106 Cam/Laptop backpack
Petrol AG-YUSC150H (the shooter's pack cam bag) (holds random audio gear)
Tool bag (to hold random cables)
HD Proline (? Panasonic) MC70 shotgun mic (shooter's pack)
LCD hood (shooter's pack) - this thing is awesome
2 m-audio pulsar II condenser mics
mic stand
old pan tripod to hold zylight off cam
APC UPS backup xps 1300 (backup battery)
14 ft LED strip lighting (ac powered)
42ft DIY extension cord, power strip, xlr cables

The shooter's pack bag is okay for a generic cam bag, but i'm glad i got impatient and got the Kata R106. It holds more gear and i can also have my laptop without having to carry yet another bag (it seems i have plenty of them to carry as is).

ilauzirika
11-22-2008, 02:15 AM
m.t, how does the libec h38/miller solo bundle work with the cam and accesories? how are you feeling about it?

m.t.
11-22-2008, 05:08 AM
m.t, how does the libec h38/miller solo bundle work with the cam and accesories? how are you feeling about it?

When i first started using the H38, it was a bit tight (the tripod would move with just the cam on if i tried to pan too quick), but it has loosened up just enough to where it nice whether or not i have the light and other gear on board as well. It can handle weight for days though. The high weight capacity of the combo was the primary reason i chose this setup. As for the miller legs, i really like the easy of set up and break down, as well as the weight. The lack of a spreader is mostly a blessing, but can be a curse, if you need to drop in a small space. Say you had a 1/2 meter space to set up your tripod and you wanted to have the it extended to full height, the legs will have a bigger footprint than the space. For the event/ random run and gun shooting this set up works great for me though. The legs quickly extend and lock and the head can be setup and leveled quickly. Since i leave the tripod plate on the cam at all times, i can be up and recording in under a minute.

Hope that helps?

ilauzirika
11-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks m.t., so would you say that for the camera alone this setup would be too much?

I was thinking about these two setups,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/293493-REG/Miller_1511_SOLO_DV10_Carbon_Fiber.html

or
the miller solo heads with a satchler fsb6 head.

What do you guys think?

m.t.
11-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks m.t., so would you say that for the camera alone this setup would be too much?

I think if you are just using the cam on the LibecH38, you would need to keep one hand either on the tripod or the cam while panning faster than a crawl (i use the zoom control on camera which gives me the extra weight). The H38 is more of a HVX200 platform, but i went with something that i could load up(weightwise) if needed. I tried the Bogen503/351 setup, but the legs were the deal breaker for me (pinched my hand in the spreader.... lol).

ilauzirika
11-22-2008, 07:52 AM
(pinched my hand in the spreader.... lol).

Bad thing... once I pinched mine with a collapsible bed....not shomething I want to repeat......:)

Da3vid
11-22-2008, 06:25 PM
So far, I've found the 503HDV/351 to be quite adequate. The head certainly outclasses the legs, but for my purposes I've found the legs to be very... adequate! Everything I've asked of them they've delivered... so far :)