PDA

View Full Version : Best edit setup for 150

shreddog
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
What is working right now.
I have an imac with dual processors. What should I buy to edit with my new 150?

voxwerx
11-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm using Final Cut 6.04 with 2 x dual core 3.0 ghz processors (Mac Pro) and 4 gig of ram and it transfer/imports the footage at about real time. Then, once you have transcoded video on your drive that runs about a gig per minute... so buy some storage! Editing isn't a problem, but anytime you transcode - watch out.

studio1972
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
The mac pro is great, especially if you are dealing with a lot of footage (I do). Mine is the bottom of the range 2 x quad core which is fantastic at multitasking (e.g. encode DVD, import DV, play music, surf net all at the same time etc).

I use FCE at the moment but will upgrade to FCS when FCS3 comes out.

FCE is great for achieving what 99% of people need 99% of the time and I think it is great training for FCS.

Stu

shreddog
11-05-2008, 05:02 PM
So if I buy FCE what are the steps to make it all happen?
Can't just import footage can you?

voxwerx
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Final Cut Pro 6.04 will recognize the camera and importing/transferring footage is really easy. I would think that FCE has that functionality, too. And yes, FCE does most of what anyone would ever want to do. Luckily, I didn't have to buy the stuff I work on. I edit on a PC at home. Premiere CS3 works well with the transcoded footage you can make using the transcoder that Panasonic has (free) on their website - they make you jump through a bunch of hoops, though.

studio1972
11-06-2008, 04:54 AM
1080i footage imports easily into fce. 720 needs transcoding using toast or voltaic. I think the situation is similar with fcs.

KeithAndrews.TV
11-06-2008, 07:12 AM
What you need to consider is what NLE you will be using to edit the AVCHD footage on, then you can sculpt a system to work best with the software. The reason this is important is because suites like Adobe CS3 do not utilize dual core, or quad core systems. In fact, Adobe does not recommend using a quad core CPU with CS3, due to many complaints that they have received from customers.

Now, CS4 on the other hand does utilize all cores for rendering and playback. Video production and editing is one of the few industries that are lucky enough to have software that is written to take advantage of these new chips. Other industries would be like CADD/CAM, 3D Design, etc...

I personally have just dropped $400 to upgrade my edit system from a single core Intel Pentium 4 running at 3.2gHz with 2 gb of ram to a quad core 2.4 gHz CPU with 4 gb of ram. I'll even be able to O.C. my CPU to 3gHz without any problems :Drogar-Smoke(DBG): With my previous system I couldn't even begin to playback AVCHD from Premiere CS4 in realtime, even when I was importing the native files into an AVCHD project!

So keep these things in mind. Figure out what software you want to use first, then consider the options with the hardware. Hope this helps.

jeff9329
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
FYI - Vegas 8.0c is working perfectly to edit HMC150 footage.

Also, I don't believe many, if any, of the PGA775 based Quad core processors are providing smooth playback of raw HMC150 footage in the NLEs or using VLC media player. However, this does not affect the render quality which is excellent, but can be slow depending upon the rendered to format. I think this is a software issue, as VLC media player is only using 20% CPU utilization while providing choppy playback. Low motion scenes will usually play back smoothly.

Barry_Green
11-06-2008, 10:55 AM
My vote would be to take a good look at Adobe CS4. Native support of HMC150 footage, full multi-core support, no transcoding, no file conversions, just drag the footage to the timeline and edit.

voxwerx
11-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I'll vote with you Barry... I hope that FCS will add native editing functionality soon... Where I work it is all Mac all the time - and don't even even bring up Adobe (they had bad experiences back in the day). So, hopefully I can manage to pony up for an upgrade to CS4 in the near future, so I can edit faster at home!

KeithAndrews.TV
11-07-2008, 05:09 AM
Just thought I'd update everyone following this topic on my recent hardware upgrades and Premiere CS4. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was running CS3 with a single core Pentium 4 CPU running at 3.2GHz and couldn't come close to playing back the .mts files from the HMC150 with either VLC, or AVCCAM Viewer.

I opted to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and ram in my system to an ASUS P5Q Pro with FSB support of 1600/1333MHz, Quad Core 2.4 GHz CPU (O.C'd to 3GHz), and 4gb of ram running at 1066MHz. I also installed a fresh version of Vista Ulitmate 64bit to my 10,000 RPM Sata HD. Premiere CS4 coooooooooooooks! However, that being said, I still cannot get any 21mbps AVCHD footage to playback in realtime even within a native timeline. The rendering of the AVCHD footage also takes an absurd amount of time, all the while my CPU meter is showing no more than 50% utilization.

This has got to be a Premiere issue. I am confident that Adobe will continue to work on the codec in future updates, but it was certainly disappointing non the less. Has anyone also noticed that CS4 does not have native support for AVCHD footage shot in 60p?!

mcsmooth
11-07-2008, 02:24 PM
If it's only showing 50%, then it clearly is not utilizing the CPU/cores properly. I wonder if there are any settings you can tweak to get that going or if you will just need to wait for the updates. Not sure if the video card comes into play at all there but had heard some cards can make a difference. That sucks about no 60p, sounds like they were rushing to get this out the door.

Encoding mpeg4 will be slow on any machine just like mpeg2 was back when we first started making DVDs. The only way to significantly speed that up is with faster hardware, or allow smart rendering.

In regards to playback, I am able to play 720p24/30 files realtime on a slower machine than your original using a decoder called CoreAVC. It is cheap and more efficient than any other software decoder I've seen so far. I'm guessing Premiere would only work with its built in decoder though, so I may wait for a new machine before bothering with CS4. I'm hoping to see some bug fixes soon and then go for a core i7.

sindrejibb
11-08-2008, 03:44 AM
I've downloaded a couple of raw clips from the HMC-151 and tried to edit it in Premiere CS4. It's no problem with the 1080 clips. It won't playback perfect but after rendering it does. The PROBLEM is that I've also downloaded a couple of 720 clips. But it's no way in Premiere to make a 720 AVCHD project? It's only 1080! And if I import 720 clips in my 1080 project, Premiere is going VERY slow, and then it crashes.

Why is it like this, can't you edit 720 AVCHD footage in Premiere?

sindrejibb
11-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Bump. It's really important to me to be able to edit 720 footage in Premiere Pro CS4, as I have to shoot 720 to get 50p.

KeithAndrews.TV
11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
"Bump. It's really important to me to be able to edit 720 footage in Premiere Pro CS4, as I have to shoot 720 to get 50p."

Yeah, you and I both. I mainly shoot 720p 60 and of course CS4 doesn't have the preset for it! You can't even go into the custom setup and select the AVCHD codec and then adjust the resolution to 1280x720 with a frame rate of 59.94.

I think I speak for a lot of people who ran into this issue and PPro2 with not having native presets for the JVC GY-HD100u. Adobe eventually ending up releasing editing presets for JVC's 720p 24 mode which resolved the issue. Hopefully Adobe will have an update very soon which will include the 720p presets for AVCHD editing, or I am sure there are gonna be some very unhappy campers!

sindrejibb
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I found out you can use the HDV 720 preset with the AVCHD files. Is it any cons with this?

KeithAndrews.TV
11-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Well really you could use any preset or custom setting and the AVCHD footage would technically be able to playback, that's the beauty of being able to mix and match codecs, resolutions and framerates. However, that being said, you would need to render anything and everything in the timeline just to get the footage to playback without dropping frames left and right.

The presets are designed to accomodate the video footage in native form which means that you would be able to import or capture the video that you want to edit in the timeline that matches the codec, resolution and framerate of the video and immediately begin playing the footage back without having to render (no red bar above the video).

If you've transcoded some of your AVCHD footage to DVCPRO HD using the MainConcept Transcoder you can try out what I'm explaining by importing the transcoded footage into a DVCPRO HD project by choosing one of the DVCPRO HD presets. Just make sure you select the correct preset that matches the framerate of the video that you want to import. When you put the video clips into the timeline, you'll notice that there is no red bar above the footage and you should be able to play it back without rendering (assuming you have a somewhat modern PC or MAC).