PDA

View Full Version : Redrock announces DSLR Kit Prices

Joseph Stunzi
11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey All,

Redrock has announced the prices of its new DSLR kits that are ready to order now on their website.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics/DSLR_cinema_bundle_lg.jpg

The tripod setup with microMattebox, 4 lens gears, follow focus, baseplate, rods, microHandle, and cage setup costs $2,445.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/cartpics/DSLR_field_bundle_lg.jpg

The handheld setup with baseplate, follow focus, rods, microHandle, cage setup, shoulderpad, grips, 4 lens gears but without the microMattebox costs $1,995.

I'm excited to see some users implement this setup into their DSLR workflow and report back on how it works.

Joseph Stunzi
11-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Some more pictures for anyone who's interested.

http://www.redrockmicro.com/assets/images/product/d90_3qtr_lg.jpg

http://www.redrockmicro.com/assets/images/product/d90_back_lg.jpg

http://www.redrockmicro.com/assets/images/product/D90_cage_lg.jpg

murcott
11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Those rods are going to poke someone eyes out.

10s
11-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks like one of Darwinian's dinosaurs already! This needs more refinement.

augenblick
11-02-2008, 10:53 PM
I'll probably get one of those when I can get my hands on an Canon 5d Mark II later this month to test it.
The Redrock DSLR kit will also work for my upcoming Ikonoskop dii. The price is right for me.

Peter

bvalente
11-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Guys - the extra rod lengths are for supporting additional accessories - for example, putting a microPod (cheeseplate) for mounting a microphone, articulating arm, monitor, etc. It's really quite a useful setup.

Brian

Thebes
11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Looking at the photos it would seem that adjusting a manual iris with these rigs would be nearly impossible?

My exposure settings involve verifying that grain is low while fiddling with a manual aperture ring and the (+/-) button, locking exposure, and if I need to change exposure during a shot I do it on my declicked aperture ring. With these rigs I am not even sure I could reach the aperture ring without some kind of hack.

10s
11-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Guys - the extra rod lengths are for supporting additional accessories - for example, putting a microPod (cheeseplate) for mounting a microphone, articulating arm, monitor, etc. It's really quite a useful setup.

Brian

OK, I'll accept that, could you show an example of a fully outfitted unit.

Joseph Stunzi
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, I'll accept that, could you show an example of a fully outfitted unit.

Fully outfitted with what specifically? You can see two different rigs in my original post. Do you want to see something with the cheeseplate and what not?

10s
11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Yes, it would justify the many eye gouging devices.

John Sandel
11-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Jeez, how big are your eyes?

I'm with Thebes—looks hard to get to the lens barrel. Brian, have you got any stills or video of someone handling this rig to demonstrate aperture adjustment &c?

10s
11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I bet those two top rods go into someones eyes when they turn away and quickly turn back, whack! -- it's pretty simple to shorten the rods and make this tool safer.

beckspace
11-04-2008, 12:00 AM
it really needs the full access to the camera: access to the optical viewfinder, access to manual aperture, access to each little button that any SLR cam has

But I liked the concept, is very hard to mount a solid rig with microphone, batteries, LED lights on a camera created for photo. And that's the challenge, it all must be on the front axis of the cam, because SLRs are designed to have your face glued to it

And make it to be light. Solid but light. And don't copy RED, they got it all wrong

bvalente
11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
We are showing the rig at DVExpo this week so everyone is welcome to come by and check it out. Access to the aperture, etc. is fairly easy - the pics aren't really designed to show this, but it's not much different than how you access it today. When you see the kit firsthand I think you'll find the 'poking your eyes out with a rod' is not an issue.

Also keep in mind you most definitely want to use an external monitor. The tiny DSLR monitors are nice, but definitely not for cinema applications. Both cameras have mini HDMI and make a great output to an external monitor including all the camera settings, etc. The 5D also has a convenient mask that shows the true 16:9 aspect ratio.

B

roxics
11-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Any chance we can get a picture from top down? That is as if we were looking at the rig from the top as it were sitting on a table? Thanks

bvalente
11-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Yes - once DVExpo is finished we can get some more pictures out there. Of course if anyone is coming to DVExpo they are welcome to take pics and post as well

Brian

Ralph Oshiro
11-20-2008, 03:20 AM
One word: SLICK! Nice job, RedRock! Is the product currently shipping? Also, do you make gears to fit all of the following lenses:

Nikkor 14mm 2.8 AF auto-focus
Nikkor 20mm 2.8 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 55mm 2.8 micro AIS manual focus
Nikkor 60mm 2.8 micro AF auto-focus
Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AF IF auto-focus
Nikkor 180mm 2.8 AF IF auto-focus

Also, is the rig able to accommodate the size of the Nikkor 14mm 2.8 AF lens? And lastly, are the kit's rails long enough to accommodate the length of the Nikkor 180mm 2.8? Thanks!

bvalente
11-20-2008, 07:33 AM
One word: SLICK! Nice job, RedRock! Is the product currently shipping? Also, do you make gears to fit all of the following lenses:

Nikkor 14mm 2.8 AF auto-focus
Nikkor 20mm 2.8 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 50mm 1.2 AIS manual focus
Nikkor 55mm 2.8 micro AIS manual focus
Nikkor 60mm 2.8 micro AF auto-focus
Nikkor 85mm 1.4 AF IF auto-focus
Nikkor 180mm 2.8 AF IF auto-focus

Also, is the rig able to accommodate the size of the Nikkor 14mm 2.8 AF lens? And lastly, are the kit's rails long enough to accommodate the length of the Nikkor 180mm 2.8? Thanks!

Hi everyone

Yep - they are shipping now and in stock

All those lenses above will fit just fine. There is about 4-5" of adjustment for lens sizes.

Our microLensGears fit all the above. You can find our lens gearing information here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.472981/it.I/id.19/.f?sc=5&category=-105

We should have some additional pictures shortly to help show the options. The longer top-rails are definitely helpful in mounting a redrock cheeseplate for a beachtek and noga arm/monitor combo.

Brian