PDA

View Full Version : D-movie vs mini 35 adapters

Marko Y
11-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi again...

I own Redrock M2 adapter for a year now... And Nikon D90 for three days now... :)

There might be an interesting thing comparing mini35 adapters and d-movies...

In my opinion, there are some things, where is M2 better:
-real video performance, i mean, video, which is related to video camcorder (I have Canon GL2 and Redrock M2), where you can manually adjust for example aperture...
-better handling with shooting from hands...

And there are many things, where is d-movie better:
-low cost
-better low light performance
-wide angle lenses (with mini 35 adapters there is vignetting problem)
-less work to do, before shooting (just turn on the camera)

So - any more opinions? I want to have film-look for making music videos. And I am thinking right now to sold my M2...

:)

BMFM FILMS
11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I think the low-cost aspect is the biggest deal buster.

People can knock it for the jello shutter, or the fact that it is a d-slr, the proof is in the videos.

I wanted to get a Letus and 35mm setup with DVX, but that costs as much/more then a D90!

When you total it up, you could probably get 3 d90's for the price of a 35mm adapter w/ DVX100b.

But yes, you can rule D90 out for most live events, you won't be recording any weddings with a camera that has a 5 minute limit and barely something you'd consider a microphone.

I think it takes amazing visuals, and with the right sound equipment and a crew with good lighting setup, I think you can make some really crazy stuff. Most of us are still playing around with the camera, but I think it's ready for primetime.

mattsand
11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
bokeh? corner to corner sharpness without a $200 achromat? "stealth factor"?

/matt

BMFM FILMS
11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Ah yes the stealth factor, that's a really big one.

If you whip out a huge video camera, everybody will run..but when it's a smaller D-SLR cam, different story.

I have fooled a lot of people with this camera. lol