PDA

View Full Version : HMC-150 seems noisy

rgaut
11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Just got my 150 yesterday. Runs really smooth just like my previous DVX100a, but I just picked up a veiwsonic 22" HDTV to watch the footage. And i'm seeing a lot of noise in the picture? I'm thinking it might be the cheap $350 screen I just bought?

the interlace mode seems to show a lot less noise then when i pop it into progressive mode?

Anyone have any experience with the noise? All settings on cam are right..shutter OFF...gain off...ect.

It's strange..because it does fine in the blacks...no noise there...it's just in the solid colors at times. I'm running into the monitor with the included component cable. Haven't tried the HDMI cable yet...maybe that would make a difference.

Mike Harvey
11-01-2008, 09:40 PM
What scene file are you using?

rgaut
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
the first one on the dial. I flipped through all of them and got same results. I'll keep experimenting with it.

I plugged it into my brothers 40" MITSUBISHI plasma last night and that looked real nice. Maybe it looks better on Plasma! :)

Ed Kishel
11-02-2008, 10:59 PM
could be the LCD, but its probably where your shooting it and/or your settings.

My 150 can seem noisy too.....when I shoot in a dark room with no lights. In a sufficiently lit room, it looks VERY good. Not noise free, but pretty clean considering the room is lit by a few 60w table lamps.

what kind of lighting is in the room?

Evro
11-02-2008, 11:12 PM
My 150 is VERY noisy.....when I shoot in a dark room with no lights.

Ha ha! I don't know of any camera that wouldn't be noisy in a scene like that :)
But then you could completely crush the blacks and it would become totally noise free and black! :thumbup:

studio1972
11-03-2008, 02:31 AM
I haven't had any noise problems on my 151e. I am using 1080i 50hz and it looks great on my computer displays and also great on my Plasma TV when I connect it up via HDMI.

The plasma is only 720 lines so maybe this is blusrring out any noise, but I doubt that is the reason. I think the problem may be either with your TV or with the component connection. Wirth trying a hdmi lead and see if that helps.

Stuart

Hidef1080
11-03-2008, 04:05 AM
I think the 150 has very little if any noise.

I thought at one point that the images coming out of this camera were somewhat noisy but what I was seeing had everything to do with the graphic chips on one of my computers and nothing to do with the camera....

My two cents.

jona816
11-03-2008, 05:06 AM
i am having the same problem. even some outside shots, although those were in cine-v mode. have to do some tests. what does everyone recommend (scene settings) for the cleanest pic possible?

Ed Kishel
11-03-2008, 06:28 AM
another thing it could be...

when I first hooked up the cam to an LCD it was a 42" bravia we have at work and at first I thougt there was more noise than I expected, untill I discovered that the tv's "sharpness" was set at 80%. Now everyone should know that this does'nt really increase sharpness but adds edge enhancement that also accentuates noise. Its artificial, so I turned it down to 0% and the image was much cleaner.

I would'nt trust previewing 150 (or any camera's) footage on a LCD that has not been calibrated. google "calibrating your hdtv".

rgaut
11-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Just an update...Last night I plugged my 150 into my Dads 73" Mitsubishi DLP and watched footage I took yesterday late afternoon and evening outside...and I was left speechless! The footage looked incredible!!

I plugged it in Via HDMI and the color, and clarity was beyond words!!! I kept trying to get my family to "appreciate" it...but most people just aren't nerds about this stuff (that's why i love this board) but it's funny how most people aren't near as critical about picture quality and contrast and "film" look!

So...I love the camera! It's just a little different coming from 3 and half years on the DVX getting used to the HD differences. I think i will have to be more careful when lighting interviews and work in darker rooms giving them a little more light.

I've never shot with an HVX, but I'm sure it has similar tendency to the HMC.

I'm loving 720p on SDHC cards! Now i have to dive into vegas with AVCHD and see what happens!

Anyone used scene file settings from their DVX and plugged them into their HMC?
I was going to pull out Barry's DVX DVD i got with it several years back and pull some scene files from it to get the closest "filmic" look i can.

Ed Kishel
11-03-2008, 09:20 AM
i am having the same problem. even some outside shots, although those were in cine-v mode. have to do some tests. what does everyone recommend (scene settings) for the cleanest pic possible?

this thread details what B. Green set his 150 at: http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=148638

Bassman2003
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I have found that HDNorm is the cleanest mode.

The Cine modes add noise imho.

snowleopard
11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Most people just aren't nerds about this stuff (that's why i love this board)

:beer:

Stevet
12-18-2008, 04:53 AM
Dude

component out is noisier by nature, and LCDs are always noisy

turn your coring up

Please eplain how LCDs produce noise.
Chances are you're at a computer typing this message right now viewing in on an LCD.
Noise? I seriously doubt it.

Unless you are using a component or some other analog input on an LCD set, the incoming signal traffic is digital (DVI or HDMI).

If you're seeing noise using direct into your LCD via HDMI or DVI, I'd look at the source.

Retrospective
12-18-2008, 07:38 AM
I plugged it in Via HDMI and the color, and clarity was beyond words!!! I kept trying to get my family to "appreciate" it...but most people just aren't nerds about this stuff (that's why i love this board) but it's funny how most people aren't near as critical about picture quality and contrast and "film" look!

HAHAHHAHA! Hilarious, that would be like me too!

Zacatac
01-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm getting this noise, this was shot in Cine-d no changes made to the scene file (don't know how... lol)

http://dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=158945

sagedrummer
01-21-2009, 03:38 PM
If I am on a MACBOOK Pro, and viewing the footage on Final Cut Pro-transcoded to Pro Res on a HDMI monitor through my MAC, I shouldn't be losing any quality since it is digital throughout the system correct?

mcsmooth
01-21-2009, 09:07 PM
If I am on a MACBOOK Pro, and viewing the footage on Final Cut Pro-transcoded to Pro Res on a HDMI monitor through my MAC, I shouldn't be losing any quality since it is digital throughout the system correct?
Anytime you transcode to a non-lossless codec, you are losing quality and potentially introducing artifacts. This or other codecs might be visually close enough for you, just have to make a compromise. HDMI (or other digital transmission) only helps viewing from the original format, people are usually referring to the HDMI out on the camera.

Zacatac
01-22-2009, 08:04 AM
how do i set scene files?

is there some guide for dummies?

i know you save the txt file to the sd card...