PDA

View Full Version : Is the HMC Darker by 1 stop

impressive creations
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey All,

Just got my HMC150 today. So excited. Had a thought. It seems to me it shoots a bit darker than my 100B. I have them side by side and looking thought the view finder, it seems like the 150 is a stop darker across the board. Unless my view finder is brigher on my 100B?

The footage looks amazing by the way. Wow..

Is there any way to import the footage into my Mac without using a card reader?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

b.p

PaPa
10-24-2008, 07:02 PM
import your footage from both into an editor. There is no way to tell by simply looking at the viewfinder.

impressive creations
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, got my camera and a few cards, but no card reader yet.. I'm sure there is a way to get it in without a card reader. .

Thanks

Mike Harvey
10-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Shouldn't you be able to hook the camera up to the computer via USB?

impressive creations
10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it would help if I read the manual. You have to hold down the mode button for a few seconds to get it into PC mode.. (it should say Mac Mode).. Anyway.. Yeah, got the clips in FCP no problem.. Looks really, really good..

Man.. My first HD camera.. I fell like a kid again.. Wait I am a kid.. Always..

Tcap
10-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Your 1st HD cam @@! hehe Awesome first HD cam isn't it? I my first HD was the Sony FX1, then Z1, followed by a Canon HG21 and HF100. Sold them all cept for the HG21 as it makes a great fam-corder.

Have fun!

BTW, is it true the MacPro's were testing to emit toxins that can contribute to cancer? I read it somewhere and was wondering if it was bogus. I'm sure all PC's emit non human freindly emissions in the microist of forms.. haha

matt s.
10-24-2008, 09:36 PM
I would say that the 150 is a bit slower than the 100 but its much cleaner and the gain is much cleaner and more usable as well so this makes up for it in the end.

Thomas Lew
10-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Your 1st HD cam @@! hehe Awesome first HD cam isn't it? I my first HD was the Sony FX1, then Z1, followed by a Canon HG21 and HF100. Sold them all cept for the HG21 as it makes a great fam-corder.

Have fun!

BTW, is it true the MacPro's were testing to emit toxins that can contribute to cancer? I read it somewhere and was wondering if it was bogus. I'm sure all PC's emit non human freindly emissions in the microist of forms.. haha

everything emits emf's which cause cancer

Tcap
10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
everything emits emf's which cause cancer

I read that they were tested to emit Benzene and other derivatives, carcinogens which may differ from emf. It's all just interesting reads :).

Barry_Green
10-25-2008, 08:36 AM
It seems to me it shoots a bit darker than my 100B. I have them side by side and looking thought the view finder, it seems like the 150 is a stop darker across the board.
Depending on what mode you're shooting in, the 150 is darker than the 100B, that's true. In progressive it should be about 1/4 stop darker, in interlaced it's about 1 stop darker.

BUT

The 150 is ridiculously cleaner in noise performance. You can easily go to 6dB of gain and erase all of the 100B's sensitivity advantage, while still having a cleaner picture. So the overall low light performance on the 150 is actually better than on the 100.

However, technically the 100 could deliver a worst-case scenario of a brighter picture, such as if you went into 60i and shot with 18dB of gain. The 150 couldn't match that. But then again, the picture would be so nastily noisy that it'd be an unlikely shooting scenario where you'd want to use that footage anyway.

I posted a comparison of 100B vs. 150 low-light performance here:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1384345&postcount=379

combatentropy
10-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Can anyone tell me what the HMC's light sensitivity is compared to a Sony VX2000?

(Sorry, the VX2000 is my last point of reference)

Barry_Green
10-25-2008, 12:46 PM
VX2000 is about the same as the DVX, so look at the pics above and it'll be about the same. Except the VX2000 doesn't have progressive, so ignore the progressive part.

combatentropy
10-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Okay, that sounds good. Thanks, Barry.

gmoe
10-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Barry-

I know many on this forum including myself are still trying to find the best low light and low noise scene file settings.

It seems that in your testing and from what I've read the HPX/HVX200A image are pretty much the same. Does that hold true from your tests with the HMC150 as well?

Or does the compressed AVCHD codec affect the image quality? I'm thinking more specifically in low light situations like the one that you posted with the DVX and HMC 150 comparison. Would that comparison also hold true for the HPX vs DVX?

As always thanks,

Gmoe