PDA

View Full Version : 6Mbps!!!

ullanta
10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, I finally got my hands on the camera today, and I must say that I'm impressed with the 6mbps mode - much better than I thought. I tested 6mbps with 1/30 shutter, and found very few artifacts, even with a fair amount of camera motion! The 1/30th shutter, in addition to any encoding benefit it provides, blurs motion in a way that seems to agree with AVCHD - that is, the motion blur in most cases seems to mask the compression blur on pans, etc. Scaled down to SD, it's really nice... certainly useful for my purposes (though full testing in the orchestra scenario will have to wait a few days).

Someday soon I'll shoot some comparisons of 6Mbps-1/30 to other modes in a controlled environment, if anyone's interested in footage, let me know...

But I can say for now, I'm pleasantly surprised after informal testing!

-Barry

matt s.
10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey Barry glad you were able to do some of your own testing. That proves how good af a codec avchd is even though its heavily compressed. i still havent shot anything outside of the PH mode. I used to shoot with a 1/30th shutter a lot on my sony VX2k for that look.

ullanta
10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Thanks, Matt - yeah, it's been a long wait to find out how it holds up! Glad to find the camera really delivers on its promise of both top-notch 720p and decent 6mbps... I haven't even tried the editing workflow yet; wish me luck!