10-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Next week Zacuto is launching...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2966713181_788b300b62_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3224/2967558964_3c593f9cdf_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/2967558938_e818b0c2c9_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2966713081_14709b96c1_o.jpg

alexphoto
10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Does this device enable you to go to other dimensions in time and space?

Joseph Stunzi
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
If you use your imagination yes!

alexphoto
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I really can't remember the last time I saw such strange product photographs. Where did you find them? Google will probably answer my questions, but that's heavy effort...and I'm concerned what I will discover.

Ruzo
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
The DSLR video mode is really getting a lot of attention from these companies. Here is one from Redrock Micro:

http://www.redrockmicro.com/redrock_dslr.html

taubkin
10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I really can't remember the last time I saw such strange product photographs. Where did you find them? Google will probably answer my questions, but that's heavy effort...and I'm concerned what I will discover.

Ditto. Strange product shots for strange products.

Joseph Stunzi
10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
How are these products strange? I'm confused by your thinking behind this.

Plenty of companies have hand grips and shoulder pads. Are Redrock micro, Zacuto, Cavision, Cinevate, and others all strange?

Kegan
10-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I think they're referring to the actual photos themselves..

Normally, don't include a girl/person, strange backgrounds unless they're demonstrating how to use it. Even still, its normally a white background.

-Kegan

Park Edwards
10-23-2008, 05:07 PM
jstunzi are you a salesman for zacuto?

it looks like complete overkill for the d90. even the redrock looks a bit much.

and it's funny cause redrock mentions a d90 and they show a canon camera.

bronxjragon
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
jstunzi are you a salesman for zacuto?

it looks like complete overkill for the d90. even the redrock looks a bit much.

and it's funny cause redrock mentions a d90 and they show a canon camera.

my thoughts exactly, i plan on getting d90 or 5d for run n' gun, hence why i got rid of my xh-a1 rig. not planning on getting a teeter-totter on my shoulder

Hunter Hampton
10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Its funny to take a ~1lb camera that fits into your hand and turn it into a monster. Not to mention that you could have rented a Red and lenses for your production 3 times over what you would pay for a set-up like those. Conservatively speaking anyways...

bronxjragon
10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Its funny to take a ~1lb camera that fits into your hand and turn it into a monster. Not to mention that you could have rented a Red and lenses for your production 3 times over what you would pay for a set-up like those. Conservatively speaking anyways...

well i wouldnt go that far....

on another note, the redrock gear looks pretty sweet/usable

that zacuto looks rubbish though

Joseph Stunzi
10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not a sale person for Zacuto, I'm a big fan though. They do have lots of pictures on their Zenfolio (zacuto.zenfolio.com) site with white backgrounds if that's to your liking.

I agree with you that these setups look a little much, but I've been told the counter balancing does help with the wobble on the D90.

These rigs are there for people looking to
A) use their mattebox and/or follow focus with their camera
B) have the inertia and balance of larger ENG style cameras
C) be able to customize their rig with the accessories they desire

In no way am I saying everyone needs one of these kits from Zacuto or Redrock... but they're out there.

Joseph Stunzi
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM

I'd be careful with your price estimations here. I just crunched some numbers for fun and here's what I found.

The kit from Zacuto including Follow Focus, Mattebox, Baseplate, Rails, Grips, Shoulderpad, Counterweight, and Canon 5D Mk II around $5,500 to $7,000.

Renting a RED body with media and two lenses is around $4,500 a week or so. So basically it really depends on how much filming you do to be honest.

Thats the advantage of these DSLRs really... you get the full frame DOF like super 35 and the RED, but it's not as complicated a workflow to learn and doesn't require two or three people to operate.

BLUESPIDER
10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I like Zacuto products but they are damn expensive! I'd stick with the redrock setup, looks cool and priced reasonably.

zacuto
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
The principles are the same no matter what type of camera you use. I would agree it looks a little strange but when you try it on it feels great. Jens and I spent a lot of time, trying every possible system for mounting DSLR’s on the shoulder. The tripod mount is much easier, it’s the handheld setups that are hard. You want a little heft, it helps you get smooth starts and stops in handheld and tripod use. We actually tried not to add any cage mounting hardware, additional handles or anything that would add weight up front, because then you need to add back weight to compensate. We are using a small lightweight Follow focus and matte box.

I think it's actually much harder to get good shots with a DSLR then with a camcorder. You tend to get a lot of rocking motion, left to right which is not a very desirable look. Additionally, the lack of DOF makes it hard to keep things in focus especially in handheld mode. I agree the price of cameras has dropped but nothing has really changed in how you would use them. If you want to have balanced handheld shots you need a teeter tauter type system so that when it’s on your shoulder you can take your hands away and the camera package floats. If it’s not balanced your hands will get tired in minutes. If it is balanced you can shoot all day, like an ENG style camera. The most complaints I’ve had over the years have been from shooters that used to use ENG style cameras and can’t figure out how to shoot with camcorders and not have their arms get tired in minutes.

Here is a fun test. Hold a two pound weight up in front of your eyes, I bet after 5 minutes your arms are killing you.

One other thing. The reason our package is so long is that it is designed to be able to shoot with your head far enough back from the cameras monitor so that you can focus in handheld mode. If your head were any closer you would be crosseyed and not be able to focus on the cameras screen. One cool thing about these camera screens is that they are very high quality and great for focusing. Originally, we though we could make the package very short when your eye was using the optical viewfinder but that get shut off when these cameras shoot video. Too bad. We are uploading new pictures today will show how you can use either an on-board monitor or the camera screen with the Canon 5D Mark II. It also incorporates using a Beachtek device for audio. Beachtek is going to come out with a special unit for the Canon 5D Mark II that will have audio meters and a headphone jack for monitoring audio.

http://zacuto.com/images/zacuto_filmmaking_DSLR.jpg

In the picture below you can see how it's balanced while she is adjusting the audio. I put the audio up front because I think many users are going to be one man bands and they are going to need to watch there sound as well as shooting. These cameras are not great on sound. Nobody has really been talking about that much. That's why it's critical you don't overdive the levels going into the camera. With the new beachtek device, the meters will be right where you need them so you can monitor your sound as well as picture.

http://zacuto.com/images/Zacuto_filmmaker_DSLR2.jpg

In this last image, we have really designed this package for filmmaking in the same way we've have been designing packages from day one. You are going to need to be able to mount and use wireless boom mics and get good sound. Again, this new technology is great, but it's actually harder to get comparable sound and picture. The camera is smaller, true. But who cares, all we care about getting it to do what we want it to do and it's a little harder now.

http://zacuto.com/images/zacuto_filmmaker_DSLR3.jpg

ESTEBEVERDE
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
WOW!

I'm not saying hoes but come on...

All we're missing is the Harley...

But, Sup to you and such is life! ;-)

zacuto
10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
That's my sister you are talking about! Just kidding. Actually, that's a great idea about the harley, I'll have our designer get one in the next series.

ESTEBEVERDE
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
That's my sister you are talking about! Just kidding. Actually, that's a great idea about the harley, I'll have our designer get one in the next series.

There's nothing wrong with pr0n one way or the other.

I'm just saying the equipment is sexy enough.

The price.... $$$$$$$$$$$$ ouch!

But as far as sisters go, mine is a 6" blond hair sparkly blue eyed princess so I feel your pain.

On the plush side she has 6 savage brawl loving brothers so it works out!

It's all good though! :beer:

hungrych
10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Redrocks looks WAY better

Joseph Stunzi
10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Redrocks looks WAY better

What's your reasoning? It might look cooler, but how do you mount that on your shoulder is my question.

philip bloom
10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
the form factor on the D90 handheld is lovely and small. In operation, iT'S AWFUL. I am curious to try this out and think with a bit of modification my Zacuto set up could be modified for my D90. Sure it is a shame to take something so small and make it so big but that is the downside of making something as so damn fiddly as the d90 more like a pro camera in use.

My experience with Zacuto so far has been nothing but positive. Customer care second to none but more importantly their gear is so good. I travel 3/4 of each month around the world and my zacuto gear is always taking a battering and it works as well today as the day i bought it. Yeah it cost me a small fortune at the time but when I had added up all the wasted money on inferior products it didn't seem so daft. They also come up with solutions to just about anything. You don't NEED a handheld rig for the D90 if you REALLY don't want one but they have made one, it will make it operate properly it's up to you whether you think it is worth it or not! I love that I need to buy just one part and my modular zacuto handheld rig will work with a camera which is the polar opposite of my ex3.

ESTEBEVERDE
10-24-2008, 10:20 PM
...I love that I need to buy just one part and my modular zacuto handheld rig will work with a camera which is the polar opposite of my ex3.

See, that's the real secret isn't it.

The rig would work if you just need to add a part or even two.

It's good for those who already have that set up.

It's not so good for a guy with just a DSLR or two.

Know what I mean?

philip bloom
10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
yep the initial outlay for just a d90 or 5d would be as much as/ more than camera true...

Joseph Stunzi
10-24-2008, 10:52 PM
However the same thing would work in reverse. You could easily adapt the modular rig to larger cameras down the road.

ESTEBEVERDE
10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
However the same thing would work in reverse. You could easily adapt the modular rig to larger cameras down the road.

Yep.

And someone could come out with a superior unit at a much much lower price.

Bottom line is for me I don't see the value in it.

A killer support rig at maybe $1250 with everything included would be about right.

Hunter Hampton
10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd be careful with your price estimations here. I just crunched some numbers for fun and here's what I found.

The kit from Zacuto including Follow Focus, Mattebox, Baseplate, Rails, Grips, Shoulderpad, Counterweight, and Canon 5D Mk II around $5,500 to $7,000.

Renting a RED body with media and two lenses is around $4,500 a week or so..

That all depends on who you rent a Red from. ; )