PDA

View Full Version : Inside The Actors Studio.

ScreechingHalt
10-26-2003, 06:30 PM
I just have to say that I am regularly blown away by this Bravo network program. *The impetus for posting this thread now is that I am currently in commercial break during a special two hour episode with Robin Williams.

This program leaves me speechless on a regular basis, it should be required viewing for people in our line of passion.

Zoomforce
10-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Catch it every week myself :)

J.R. Hudson
10-26-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree. Although, I would love to see a:

Inside the Directors Workshop type show.

Alright, get your DVX's; we will make our own. ::)

BTW

For those of you paying attention, San Diego is being hit HARd by fires right now. The majority of the county looks like some kind of SONAR ECLIPSE.

At about MAGIC HOUR tonight, I got some really interesting looking footage on the DVX. The sun was almost RED.

I had to put on the ND at 1/8 and it looked very picturesque not to be made at the expense of theose being affected by this Disaster.

ScreechingHalt
10-26-2003, 08:10 PM
No surprise to me, Zoomie :) Just thought I would spread the word.

ScreechingHalt
10-26-2003, 08:23 PM
I would love to see an Inside the Directors Workshop type show.

I heartily agree, although you get some gems from time to time such as the Clint Eastwood session. *That was terrific. *Perhaps the best hint he shared was the concept of using a very quiet set and very quiet signal for starting and stopping the filming.

"Humans aren't horses, but they do have a central nervous system."

Great insight into getting the best out of actors.

J.R. Hudson
10-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Interesting take. Although I could see both techniques working...

Screaming ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or quietly action

BTW - Robin Williams is a genious. (Although a little too much CHILDRENS movies for me.

ScreechingHalt
10-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Cute, but I really felt a resonance with his main point. *You have actors ready for a scene, they have prepared themselves mentally for the emotions they need to convey, the dialog is fresh, they are ready - and someone screams ACTION at the top of their lungs - usually into a bull horn.

Any human gets in increase in pulse rate, a bit of a twang in the nerves. *Clint Eastwoods point was that, no matter how good an actor is, they are not quite at their best after getting a jolt. *Their pulse rate goes up, their breathing changes. *It may not be obvious on camera, but they are not at their best.

I saw a study years ago that hooked people up to EEG devices and mapped their neurological and physical responses to sudden loud noises. *The only people who showed minimal reaction were Yoga meditation folks, people who have meditated for years and during the test had prepped themselves for the noise. *It was quite revealing.

I might add that this study did not just use a single loud noise. *The noise was repeated for some minutes at 20 second intervals. *The initial response was highest, but they always had a sizeable response. *I would have thought that people would adapt more quickly, and indeed the Yoga folks did, but they were concentrating on staying relaxed - not on remembering lines or hitting their marks.

Obviously, yelling ACTION through megaphones works, everyone except Clint Eastwood does it :) *I just marveled at how "right" that observation felt to me. *Perhaps my meditation and martial arts background is coloring my perceptions though.

(who am I to argue with someone who get Oscars for directing? Of course some who scream also get Oscars. :))

J.R. Hudson
10-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I agree. IT is a very good point (my example was more for humor). I think I'll adopt this technique. Hell, me screaming ACTION makes me edgy too! I guess if your doing some major action sequence it would make sense.

BUt in doing scene that reuires your talent to perform, I do agree, a simple indication for action seems like a good idea.

Zoomforce
10-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Some words like "rolling" need to be loud as possible, and Action can be important as well to say loud so everyone on Set knows to shutup.

J.R. Hudson
10-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Some words like "rolling" need to be loud as possible, and Action can be important as well to say loud so everyone on Set knows to shutup.

True that.

Quiet on the set! Rolling! Speed! Sound! Action!

and inevitably the damn dog barks or the plane flies over or some genious has a lawn mower (You can see my experience has been NOT on a controlled sound stage).

Funny. My experience has been the ones making the noise when they are not supposed to are the talent that aren't in the scene your doing. But when it's their turn to work...

Zoomforce
10-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Yeah.. when you are on a production doing an exterior scene with 70 crew members, 10 cast members and 30 extras I found you need a chain of people yelling, but hey thats what 2ndAD and PA's are for :) Nothing sucks more than a perfect take for camera and talent but some yahoo Tad decides to honk his horn

Anartiste
03-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Next time I'll try to whisper it :

action...

Especially on this scene when the mute man is due to yell in the ears of the deaf man :

SHUT THE FUCK UP !!!!

speedbump
03-27-2004, 07:55 PM
I can't watch Inside The Actors Studio without thinking of Will Ferrel doing James Lipton

:D