PDA

View Full Version : Did you nail the theme?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Do you feel like you nailed the theme of "Twilight" for this festival or did you work an existing idea and bend it to fit? Both methods could still equal greatness, I'm just curious.

I went all in.

Black and white, set back in time a few decades ago and shot with shadows all over the place. Much like some of the old Twilight Zone episodes. The score is also tying everything together to go with the look.

After being in a time machine for so long I'm actually looking forward to seeing some modern twists on the theme. Should make for a great ride! :thumbup:

I'm not implying that you have to go my route to nail the theme, not at all. I'm sure many of you will do it with a modern day flair, and do it well!

Cheers,

Mike

Robbie Comeau
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I guess I hit the theme pretty good, but not as much as some of the entries I'll be seeing. Meaning- I'm thinking others hit it harder than me (Like you, Mike).

Without the score, it's not bad, but I think a nice dramatic score will add a lot to the film, especially the theme.

Now I need to add a ball somewhere...

Robbie

armisiano
10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I didn't EXACTLY hit the "Twilight Zone"-esque theme, but with the other shows mentioned as examples (Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Darkside, The Outer Limits, etc) I definitely hit the mark. I'd say my project is very heavily "Tales From The Crypt" influenced. A little darker maybe than T.Z., and with the melodramatic almost campy visual style of T.F.T.C., not as American Contemporary as T.Z.

John LaBonney
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't nail the theme, but that's okay. The fest themes give you wide latitude to explore all kinds of variants. Barn Dance certainly has enough Twlight elements to qualify, but wouldn't be something you would expect to see if you turned on an episode of Twilight Zone.

Kyle Stebbins
10-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Things aren't what they seem... right?

Sweet.

Dick Campbell
10-21-2008, 05:32 AM
I had just acquired the story, and when the theme was announced it was a perfect fit. I too tried to honor the memory of Mr. Serling, and I think my entry would fit right along side many TZ tellings (in my humble opinion, of course).

(added) ... but I am definitely "things aren't what they seem ..."

Simon Höfer
10-21-2008, 05:51 AM
I didn't nail the theme, but that's okay. The fest themes give you wide latitude to explore all kinds of variants. Barn Dance certainly has enough Twlight elements to qualify, but wouldn't be something you would expect to see if you turned on an episode of Twilight Zone.

Sweet.

Those two sum it up quite good for me :) I had the idea for this film already upfront.

Dustin R. Rogan
10-21-2008, 06:46 AM
I believe I did, though I didn't go to the full extent that others did, ie black and white. But I think I've made a descent film this time around. As for TDRP didn't really fit the theme as much but who doesn't love em some Rogan arse!

Rogan

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm really looking forward to this Fest! As I said, you don't have to do an old black and white tribute to the show in order to nail the theme. :thumbup:

This sums it up nicely for me....

Sweet.

Should be a fun Fest! Maybe one of the best? We'll see.

Tim Joy
10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm desaturating now... not too much though.

I think I nailed it.
"Some things that are, are not."

ZazaCast
10-21-2008, 07:38 AM
I'd like to believe I did on both movies, but I guess it's up to the viewer in the end!
(I have to stop watching these)

pauly_the_hitman
10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
There was a theme? I guess I better just start over then...

AmyO
10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I had a script from a story I came up with for last years Hallows Fest but didn't have time to write or shoot then. I wrote the script later, intending to produce it just for kicks. Then when this fest was announced, it fit the theme nicely as it stood, so I used it.

Jason Sanders
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
damn, I thought this was timefest!

jpsheets
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I think I nailed it pretty good. Although I decided not to go with Black and white. I think you're gonna get a kick out of Daily Special. It could have been an entry for Horrorfest a while back.

Zim
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I think I did with the help of the screen writing from Mike Horrigan. I only changed it alittle to fit my shooting schedule and the actors I could find, but I think it nailed the theme.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2008, 11:03 AM
I think I did with the help of the screen writing from Mike Horrigan. I only changed it alittle to fit my shooting schedule and the actors I could find, but I think it nailed the theme.
I wrote that for Next Fest. Did you use that?? :huh:

:evil:

Zim
10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
This isn't the next fest!!!

KOHR
10-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Mine definately doesn't FEEL anything like a twilight zone episode... nor is it very ominous or eerie. But the entire piece is about a man's struggle with a "supernatural, fantastical, unexplainable element." So I think I'm good. I think it'll be different in terms of tone from what most people are expecting.

gabrielflorit
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah.

Richard J. Johnson
10-22-2008, 08:28 AM
I got it down. I shot black and white as well. Got the theme perfect. I wish my movie was though. Foresight is real dirty.

Rodney V. Smith
10-22-2008, 03:08 PM
oh yeah i nailed it. i nailed it to the WALL!

MOVIE MASTER
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
nailed it through hell and back baby!!!!

Bernie Hipos
10-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Yep nailed it big time!

Marlon Ladd
10-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I think I nailed it and I wrote this story based on the theme.

Bryce A
10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
ours was written specifically for this fest. it hits the theme in a very practical but (possibly) indirect way. it's definitely not the twilight zone, but it is (hopefully) reminiscent of the morality tales those shows (outer limits, night gallery, twilight zone, etc...) like to play with. there are lessons to be learned and a fairly harsh moral to the story....

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
ours was written specifically for this fest. it hits the theme in a very practical but (possibly) indirect way. it's definitely not the twilight zone, but it is (hopefully) reminiscent of the morality tales those shows (outer limits, night gallery, twilight zone, etc...) like to play with. there are lessons to be learned and a fairly harsh moral to the story....

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to watch it.

Inexistence
10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Odd single character displaced and isolated. I think I bent it at the very least.

Wordz to tha O.G 666

Brian Parker
10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I think I'm pretty spot on.

Bryce A
10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to watch it.

likewise to you and yours, Michael. :beer: I'm excited for the flicks that call back to Sterling. I was pumping myself full of twilight zone episodes trying to come up with ideas for this fest. Sometimes dated, but always great.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2008, 09:58 PM
likewise to you and yours, Michael. :beer: I'm excited for the flicks that call back to Sterling. I was pumping myself full of twilight zone episodes trying to come up with ideas for this fest. Sometimes dated, but always great.LOL! I did the same thing. :)

I even lit it differently to keep with the look of some of the old episodes and movies. Plenty of harsh light and shadows in my black and white entry. Very different from what I usually do.

In The Watchman I went out of my way to light it by today's standards. Not so this time around.
I still used multiple points of light but it's harsh and I didn't use any extra light to cut down on the shadows.
It really suits the look I was going for this time around.

Cheers,

Mike

mark_Cray
10-28-2008, 05:35 AM
I think "Possible Charlie" did an fantastic job of Nailing the theme. I'm pretty new to this board and didnt know the details of the contest until after I was brought on board to act in the film. but after knowing what we shot, seeing the script and then learning what the contest was all about I'm sure it will be a great production under this theme. ( I really wish we could have done it as a full feature..lol)

Richard J. Johnson
10-30-2008, 04:21 AM
LOL! I did the same thing. :)

I even lit it differently to keep with the look of some of the old episodes and movies. Plenty of harsh light and shadows in my black and white entry. Very different from what I usually do.

In The Watchman I went out of my way to light it by today's standards. Not so this time around.
I still used multiple points of light but it's harsh and I didn't use any extra light to cut down on the shadows.
It really suits the look I was going for this time around.

Cheers,

Mike

I am the worst at lighting. I Have to learn in phases so I don't forget stuff. Lighting is next. I have to learn lighting for the mood of the piece. I have a bad habit of just lighting everything bright and even then fixing in post. I think that is a bad habit anyway