PDA

View Full Version : d90 stair step removal AE Project - download link

Matthew Bennett
10-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Lee's original project in AE 7.0. This one is only halfway done, but shows us the way.

http://www.qmediasolutions.com/guest/CAMERA_TESTS/Step_Fixer_AE_7.zip

My finished project in AE CS3 (sorry not backwards compatible)

http://www.qmediasolutions.com/guest/CAMERA_TESTS/D_MOVIE_Step-Fix_AE_CS3.zip

Thanks Lee!

http://www.qmediasolutions.com/guest/CAMERA_TESTS/Lee-Wilson_erected.jpg

Note: This adds some major value to the d90! Enjoy!!

RyDz
10-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you very much for hosting, and thanks to Lee Wilson.

el presidente
10-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Lee..Many thanks..you really are rather clever.

BTW It worked on a stone castle I have shot that was jaggie hell.

Lee Wilson
10-12-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.qmediasolutions.com/guest/CAMERA_TESTS/Step_Fixer_AE_7.zip

Thanks Lee!

(room for a future picture of a statue of Lee erected in his honor)

I will send the photos over for the statue, is naked ok ?

Also people remember this project is just a strip through the middle that I did as a quick test, you need to use this as a guide only - someone should take the time to chop up the whole 1280x720 frame and then put a link here so others can steal it.

Matthew Bennett
10-12-2008, 06:06 PM
I just started cutting the rest of the comp ... whew, hard work. I think there is a 7pixel slice in there, just above where you stopped...

I'll post the project when I'm done, but it'll be cs3 only, that's all I'm running right now..

No nudity please, Lee. This is a family forum

Matthew Bennett
10-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Done! Edited links above

Daniel Aragão
10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi.

this fix can also remove the compression squares from the d90 footage?

why do we sometimes get footage with compression squares and sometimes not?

thanks

Daniel Aragão
10-13-2008, 12:01 AM
WOWOOOOWOWOWOWOW

Man. this fix is WONDERFUL. its just impossible to look at d90 footage again without this fix. I edited a whole sequence in Vegas and tried the fix even with sequences i dont see so much compression squares or stair-steping, and even them looks better now. So this fix is a must. and it simple corrects every bad compression artefacts of the codec (HORIZONTAL LINES, DIAGONAL LINES, ALL FIXED)

Lee is amazing. and Matthew did an amazing job too. both of you will be credited as special thanks in my next short-film, cause without this fix i wasnt able to shot with the d90.

THANKS

Daniel Aragão
10-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Let's try to post the results of this fix (before and after) at vimeo.

thanks

pveal
10-13-2008, 12:29 AM
i am totally addicted to the D90 forum. Wow, good work Lee Wilson and Matthew Bennet.

el presidente
10-13-2008, 04:13 AM
Lee n Matthew...:thumbsup:
Nikon should honour you...its incredible.

IM IN SHOCK.

neka
10-13-2008, 04:46 AM
true voodoo magic - works a treat

much thanks to Lee and Matthew!
you rock!

made a final cut template last night to do the same,
but with 3x80 nests it's close to locking up my machine
and what's with 38 hrs to render 1 minute? ... think i'll stick to ae : )

btw - what codec are you folks rendering out of ae with?

el presidente
10-13-2008, 05:02 AM
I get all my footage into cineform prospect as soon as I can for my ex1/xlh1/d90 stuff

buildyo
10-13-2008, 06:24 AM
made a final cut template last night to do the same,
but with 3x80 nests it's close to locking up my machine
and what's with 38 hrs to render 1 minute? ... think i'll stick to ae : )

38 hrs? that's bad but since I don't have AE and I'm a FCP beginner would you mind to share your FCP template at filefactory.com ? So I can learn from it. :dankk2:

Matthew Bennett
10-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi.

this fix can also remove the compression squares from the d90 footage?

why do we sometimes get footage with compression squares and sometimes not?

thanks

Ha, no, Lee's method only removes the effect of the 9 pixel binning/stair stepping.

To get rid of the compression/jpeg blotchy artifacts, you can attempt to add a little noise/grain to the image, which has the effect of covering up banding. Or you can export individual frame sequences to photoshop, and apply a filter which removes jpeg compression artifacts... etc.

neka
10-13-2008, 07:31 AM
would you mind to share your FCP template?

the template's up at

http://www.filefactory.com/file/0d33f8/n/destepper_zip

proof of concept only - fcp's way outside its comfort zone...

Matt Grunau
10-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I am getting a "not a valid win32 application" error, and can not open it. Any ideas? I have never had a problem opening Mac AE files before.

Matthew Bennett
10-13-2008, 08:32 AM
I am getting a "not a valid win32 application" error, and can not open it. Any ideas? I have never had a problem opening Mac AE files before.

Are you using Cs3? Sorry that question is the limit of my troubleshooting abilities..

I was just working with the LEE PROTOCOL (possible name) on some footage of a newspaper, faces, etc... works great,, this really opens up the possibility for me showing d90 in actual 720p HD and feeling good about it.
Some stuff looked nice with a little grain and a hi-con black and white look applied.

The only thing the LEE PROTOCOL failed on (just a little, mind you) on was some Japanese footage of planes landing at an airport... I'm thinking maybe that was a different or pre-production model, maybe the binning was slightly different or something..

Daniel Aragão
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
to me the fix worked on some horizontal lines as well

el presidente
10-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I had trouble opening it in windows too. If I open it from the file then my ae crashes out, so open ae then use ae to open file..it then complains that you aint got the right fonts etc then works.

wflanagan
10-13-2008, 10:30 AM
in AE CS3? I, for some reason, have Instant HD "Advanced" and I'm not a regular AE user so I don't really know how to fix.

Any thoughts or help?

I'd love to get some respectable HD out of the D90. :-)

William

p.s. Awesome thumbs up to you for working on this.

buildyo
10-13-2008, 10:32 AM
the template's up at

http://www.filefactory.com/file/0d33f8/n/destepper_zip

proof of concept only - fcp's way outside its comfort zone...

Thanks a lot for this. That's very helpful and I finally could see the result in all it's glory.
Estimated render time for the 7s sample clip is 2 hours on my Mac Pro. You're correct the solution is only practical for AE users at the moment.
Thank you Nikon. Thank you!

Matthew Bennett
10-13-2008, 10:49 AM
edit:

Statue erected in downtown Toronto.

Chance White
10-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Awesome. I am incredibly grateful.

Lee Wilson
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
edit:

Statue erected in downtown Toronto.

Good god ! I look handsome in bronze, good that you got a boxed copy of AE into my arms, nice touch.

Matthew Bennett
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Good god ! I look handsome in bronze, good that you got a boxed copy of AE into my arms, nice touch.

Its the CS4 production suite. When you come to Toronto and touch the statue a copy pops out for you.

neka
10-14-2008, 11:09 PM
i noticed that the lee/matthew ae file turns the native d90 24p into 23.976p
- is this repitching the audio (in ae) or will this lead to out of sync audio?

Lee Wilson
10-15-2008, 01:24 AM
i noticed that the lee/matthew ae file turns the native d90 24p into 23.976p
- is this repitching the audio (in ae) or will this lead to out of sync audio?

How does it turn footage from one speed to another ? When I set my test project up I left the footage at 24p.

The original file is 24p - it is 24p in the project window - and of course renders as 24p.

When you say the AE project is turning the D90 footage from 24p to 23.979p - how are you making this judgement ? Give us some clues here ! :)

Are you rendering the file and then watching it in a media player and taking the frame rate from that ?

P.S. You can run the footage at whatever frame rate you wish in AfterEffects, if you want it to be 24p then make it 24p in the interpret footage dialogue box.

neka
10-15-2008, 02:39 AM
When you say the AE project is turning the D90 footage from 24p to 23.979p - how are you making this judgement ?

using get info in quicktime ... and it has 23.976 in the ae comp (next to the frame counter) in pre-comp 4

i think Matthew's version is different to your original : )

from what i can glean from google, interpet footage doesn't change the audio speed - for this you need to timestretch the audio by 100.1% (for 24 to 23.976)

apologies for the confusion - hope your cold is improving!

Matthew Bennett
10-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Sorry, yes, I my AE project my final area was a 1280x720 sq.pix 23.976 comp. I always render out that way 'cause its the most final cut friendly...

You can change any comps framerate at any time by going into the comp settings and simply changing it back.

Lee Wilson
10-15-2008, 02:14 PM
apologies for the confusion - hope your cold is improving!

Cheers !

Me = :zombie_smiley:

Kholi
10-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have some daylight stuff done using this on Vimeo yet?

My Camera is still out, won't get it back til this weekend so I can't try it. Would like to see what the results are.

Matthew Bennett
10-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Does anyone have some daylight stuff done using this on Vimeo yet?

My Camera is still out, won't get it back til this weekend so I can't try it. Would like to see what the results are.

I tried working with the VW clip from your section, the bus clip from Dpreview, plenty of my own clips of course...
The LEE FIX works fantastic on 45ish degrees curves+lines, but if something is finely moired or moving through the frame just off horizontal, you'll still get a jaggy or some fine jittering..

Uwe Lansing
01-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Sorry, but I donīt understand the procedure in AE. Each Clip has a different length. So, when I replace it in the project-window it donīt matches with the Comp-length. Have I to change the length in each Precomp + Comp 4? That seems to be a little bit circumstantially...

Matthew Bennett
01-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Just make all the comps long, and then use the 'render work area' only function to set in out points..

Uwe Lansing
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Thx Matthew. It doesnīt come fast. What do you think is the best workflow for, letīs say, about 20 Clips? First cut in Premiere Pro then render out as 1 file (TGA, QT-Animation...) for the fix in AE. Or first preparing each single clip in AE...?

jacob gibbins
01-09-2009, 01:39 PM
sorry if this has been covered else where but....

i import the project you can down load at the start of this thred in to AE cs3 ....

i then get a message saying

"this project contains 1 referance to a missing effect. please install the following effect to restore this reference ("instant HD")"

i click ok and that one dissapeared then this one pops up:

" the following layer dependencies are missing: basic text: font family " diavlo" font style "bold"

then i click ok to that and it starts up.

how do i get these files and start fixxing the stair stepping in my films ?

Martin Koch
01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
Matthews project scales the D90 image up to FullHD using the InstantHD (http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/) plugin. Just delete the InstantHD effect in the AE project if all you want is removing the stairsteps. Also look for any text and replace it with a font that you have.

alexandroff
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
i'm using avs script & virtual dub with mainconcept codec,
my videos after this fix are larger in disk size than the orig. d90 files
any way to keep them about the same as orig size?

Matthew Bennett
01-10-2009, 02:03 PM
sorry if this has been covered else where but....

i import the project you can down load at the start of this thred in to AE cs3 ....

i then get a message saying

"this project contains 1 referance to a missing effect. please install the following effect to restore this reference ("instant HD")"

i click ok and that one dissapeared then this one pops up:

" the following layer dependencies are missing: basic text: font family " diavlo" font style "bold"

then i click ok to that and it starts up.

how do i get these files and start fixxing the stair stepping in my films ?

Yeah, probably best to save your own version of the project, where that text is removed, if you dont have instant hd then remove that comp or effect...

The major work in that AE project was really the cutting part with all the masks, everything else is just copies of the original work comp with various little methods to try and regain a nice 720p or a nice downscaled 480p, etc...

Matthew Bennett
01-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Thx Matthew. It doesnīt come fast. What do you think is the best workflow for, letīs say, about 20 Clips? First cut in Premiere Pro then render out as 1 file (TGA, QT-Animation...) for the fix in AE. Or first preparing each single clip in AE...?

My own personal workflow (cause I'm on apple)...I first take all my d90 clips, convert them to a 720p prores file, (in AE), and then cut that file in FCP. Then I take my edited prores file, and bring that back into AE, then do the laborious render of the stairstep fix to only the edit.. then I can do a 'once over' grade, etc...

The thing is if you're converting at any point, THEN bringing back into AE, you want to convert everything into another file type but maintain EXACTLY the same pixels in the same positions as they are in the original AVI file.. otherwise the stair step project wont work 'cause it's cutting it at different points and the whole thing becomes a mess..

Or you could just go clip by clip, but what a pain.. so time consuming...

Uwe Lansing
01-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Thx - I got it now. But 1 last question:

...I first take all my d90 clips, convert them to a 720p prores file, (in AE)...

Why do you convert all the files to one prores-file before cutting? It is 1 render process more - what could be the benefit? Why not importing all the native files in a 720/24p-project in FCP or PP?

mattsand
01-11-2009, 03:42 AM
the native files only play in unlimited rt and even then with the occasional dropped frame. prores is full rt even with effects. i use the native files myself but i believe this is the reason to transcode. also tools like smoothcam and color don't work on avi files.

/matt

Uwe Lansing
01-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Aah...Ok - but I have no problems with the native files in PP with rt-playback - even with color grading + effects like Magic Bullet Looks. I open up a DVCProHD-Project (changed over desktop to 1280x720/24p, square pixels...). So, I can skip this one more rendering...

mattsand
01-11-2009, 04:10 AM
fcp and pp were different apps last i checked, but do you mean pp on the mac? i doubt it, but i'm ready to stand corrected. avi is a *heavily* windows centered format.

/matt

Uwe Lansing
01-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Iīm working on a PC - no problems. Maybe it also depends on the hardware configuration. I use a quad with 8 gigs of RAM (vista 64 bit)...

mattsand
01-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Maybe it also depends on the hardware configuration
i edited in mjpeg in premiere on a 166 mhz pentium back in 1996. no dropped frames at all. that was pal sd but that's no actually so much less than 720p. prores is a much more demanding codec than mjpeg and fcp can play that in realtime no problem, hdv even more so. but sure, more processing power can't hurt even though i'm fairly sure your system is on idle 90% of the time when playing mjpeg. :-)

/matt

Uwe Lansing
01-11-2009, 05:44 AM
...more processing power can't hurt even though i'm fairly sure your system is on idle 90% of the time when playing mjpeg. :-)

Not when you have open PP, AE and such as PS at the same time + uses Dynamic Link... ;-)

mattsand
01-11-2009, 05:56 AM
even then most likely. your quad comes in handy when you render stuff and apply multiple effects, but it sits there idle for most of the time, i'd say even more so when you're using dynamic linking which has its own bottlenecks. i'd rather have a 2mhz duo with fast disks and buses, and loads of ram, video and normal, than a fast processor.

/matt

xcm
03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
My own personal workflow (cause I'm on apple)...I first take all my d90 clips, convert them to a 720p prores file,...

Hi:)
first of all, I would like to thaks for links...

so my question is, could U explian the prores file what is exactly? (What is your chosen converted file type..etc)

PS: on CS4 everything works properly.

robingreen
04-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't understand : I have a videoclip of 3 minutes. when opening in D90 stairstep removal, the clip duration is.... 7 second only!!
why does this programm does not accept long videos?
where does this issue comes from?

mattsand
04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
i think you need to consult your manual. after effects and fcp are good not because they're easy, but because they are hard.

/matt

robingreen
04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
i think you need to consult your manual. after effects and fcp are good not because they're easy, but because they are hard.

/matt
could you explain me why my video use the property(duration 7seconds) of the original from lee?
like it is blocked arround frame 151.

hish
04-21-2009, 06:23 PM
could you explain me why my video use the property(duration 7seconds) of the original from lee?

have you tried making the composition longer?

pveal
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM

I think the problem you have was explained around in the same thread. I would also check the duration of the composition and correct it accordingly. Import your footage and reset the duration. In danger of you coming across as asinine in the bleak and uncertain future, you may find it beneficial to consult this thread for After Effects http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Good luck on the learning curve:smile:

pveal
04-21-2009, 09:12 PM
robingreen old bean, try this: select the composition timeline window, Ctrl+K to view composition Settings and you will find duration setting at the bottom. You can change it to any length that floats your boat. bonne chance.

robingreen
04-22-2009, 02:36 AM
thanks a lot,

but.
I tried sucessfully making the composition longer, but it does not help :
it seems like it get the all properties of the ancient replaced file(DMOVIEAUTO.AVI) and his duration too!
So my video is cutted at 7 seconds from the beginning, and it is blocked when I try to stretch it on the right.
I tried anything ...help...

pveal
04-22-2009, 09:09 AM
There's more than one comp to adjust. See the tabs? adjust each comp length and adjust the time of each layer. I think that should help, but i'm not 100% sure, i could be sending you up a dark alley.

Why don't you check back in this thread?

Look at posts #34 and #35.

robingreen
04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
thanks very much, but make the comps longer does not help.
the result is : 7 second of my video, and then then black screen until the last frame.
am I the only gut on this planet with this problem?

mattsand
04-26-2009, 12:34 PM
perhaps a stupid question but have you tried opening just the clip in a new project, without adding it to the stairstep project?

stip
04-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum, so first: thx a lot for the ss removal project, just great!

Now I get a strange error when working with it and was wondering if anyone had the same problem:
some rendered files are about double as fast as the original footage. sometimes it happens, sometimes everything works just great. all original mjpeg files were shot on the same card, same settings in d90 as well as in AE (same framerate ect.), I just replaced the file in the ss removal project and adjusted the duration of the comp. the problem already occurs when previewing the comp in AE.
Strangely, I had the exact same problem when working with the avisynth script that's available in the other thread for d90 stair step removal. sometimes it worked just fine, sometimes the rendered file was double the speed.

I'm not new to AE...so this makes me feel really stupid :)

any help is appreciated! THX

btw, original files are ok

georgizdr
04-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Could someone give a step-by-step tutorial of the stairstep removal process using this project? Thanks.

Nikonslave
05-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and a d.ck with cameras.
I used to make movies a lot when I had my Panasonic SD-DV (don't laugh)

Now I have the D90. I understand what is wrong with it.
I found the thread, great! I was so happy. I installed After Effect.
I open the program... and I don't understand a thing. The layers, the problem of FPS you talked about etc... I try to save to get the new video and it is like a test video, short, with text showing the before & after the effect.

First, I don't understand why the great people who have an erected statue did not make something more friendly for weak logic people like me. I mean... Guys... If you make a file (better a program!!) to fix the stairsteps + make all the improvement ("like" neat does etc...) with one click, man, I would spend about 150 dollards to buy it to you... No kidding.

Second, why can't we just make a final cut with Imovies (haha ! I am playing with english words!!) and put it in this frea..., in this complicate file and just push a button so that it works?? Why do you guys want to do this on all your rush?? I think it is not rational... but hey, I am a newbi (is that how you spell it) and I don't understand a thing...

But yes MAN YES !! LET'S GO !! WE CAN DO IT !!!

mattsand
05-18-2009, 02:20 AM
If you make a file (better a program!!) to fix the stairsteps + make all the improvement ("like" neat does etc...) with one click, man, I would spend about 150 dollards to buy it to you... No kidding.
http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/

my paypal address is mattias at beauty dot se. thank you. :-)

/matt

gwales
09-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Could someone give a step-by-step tutorial of the stairstep removal process using this project? Thanks.

Any luck with this?

I have tried a couple of times but I don't know how to use AE.

Matthew Bennett
09-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Helps to have a working knowledge of AE to understand how to use the project...
Get a friend who knows it to mentor you

gwales
09-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I have tried using both Lee's and the other fix. I replaced the video and the displacement map, and I see tabs for the different processes in different places. Does it need an extensive procedure, or can I just add to render queue?

When I did add, there was no noticeable difference.

mattsand
09-20-2009, 03:45 AM
There's not supposed to be any obvious noticeable difference. You have to know what to look for. Does your original have clearly visible stairsteps in the first place?

gwales
09-20-2009, 06:14 AM
I know what the stairsteps look like, especially on hard diagonal objects. When zoomed in, even faces have visible banding - is this caused by the same thing?

I am looking at some online video tutorials to bone up on AE, but it is a huge and complex program.

mattsand
09-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Yes same thing. Visible mostly on diagonal lines as well as smooth gradients. Those artifacts are supposed to disappear pretty much completely.

benbernschneider
10-23-2009, 01:32 AM
hey guys, one more stupid question:

so I replaced my footage with the "replace this" file and it works very nice and looks awesome. But I'm not sure which pre comp, which timeline I should export. Precomp 3 or 4? I cant see the difference between those 2...

can anyone help, please??

thx in advance,

Ben

Martin Landsburg
10-23-2009, 03:19 AM
And here's another one:
I have a problem with red green and blue dots appearing sometimes, they normally disappear. But now they are in AE when i open up the D_Movie_fixer_2 file, and when i output they are still there! also the comp stays the same length, it used to auto adjus...help please!
Thank you,
Martin

Martin Landsburg
10-23-2009, 04:47 AM
hmm it appears to have fixed itself...is this a faulty video card?? I often get weird random pixels in any kind of video footage..

jonE5
10-23-2009, 07:10 AM
is this only for Final Cut, or can you use this for vegas to?