PDA

View Full Version : HMC150 + Steadicam JR...

jona816
10-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok, so I cannot afford a big time steadicam rig, but I have seen a few JR's on ebay going for fairly cheap. My question is, would the HMC150 and a steadicam JR be compatible? if so, how would i go about balancing it? i know it's old and discontinued as are the directions/manual. any suggestions or anyone have experience with this combo yet (i know it's early in the game)?

mikeshu
10-09-2008, 06:23 PM
I would highly recommend looking into a Steadicam Merlin. It has worked great with my DVX, even with a shotgun mic on it. All of steadicam's handheld units have a steep learning curve, but the Merlin gives you many more balancing options because of its modular counter weight system.

gco
10-10-2008, 05:03 AM
I would be curious to know what your settings are if you are getting good performance with the shotgun mike on it, i.e. stage position, arc distance, # of bottom weights, z-setting?

mikeshu
10-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Whoo, good question. The unit is loaned out right now so can't look right at it at the moment. I believe I had 4 weights plus start and finish on bottom and two weights in front with finish. And I think I used the H slot for the release plate and put it around the zero point on the stage.

As with the arc distance, I think it was just before max extension. The mic is a Rode NTG-1 so it isn't that hefty.