PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: PC Users - Need little help....

jona816
10-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Hey guys, been browsing boards for some time but i couldn't come up with a definitive/concrete answer. I'm on a PC and I just want to know what's the best possible workflow at the moment to get some of the great outputs that I keep seeing on Vimeo. My cam is coming in soon (today or tomorrow) and i just want to prepare myself. I'm a premiere user primarily so my best best at the moment is to transcode .mts files using AVCHD to DVCPRO (it seems, to me, that this is the best way to prevent stuttering/jittery images and provides smoothness. However, i feel like i'm losing quality and i don't get such crisp images as others have posted. BTW, i'm using darren's test footage at the moment until my cam comes in. Here is what is running on my comp:

AMD Phenom X4 Quad 4 processor at 2.6GHz
3GB RAM
SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

XP PRO
PPRO CS3

Don't know if i am missing anything else. but is this good enough right now to get some good results with the HMC150? Also, what's the best output mode when rensering/exporting a clip? thanks so much in advance, ireally could use the help.

Jon

Hidef1080
10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
I got my best output to date from mpg2- Blu-ray after the transcode and I'm rendering a 1 minute clip right now to mpg2-DVD to see how it stands up.

Hidef1080
10-08-2008, 05:39 AM
I have to say that mpeg turned out better than than I thought it would.
There is a drop under the AVCHD images but I think it will work well for SD and the web.

douchebro
10-08-2008, 05:46 AM
I would also like to really know the best workflow!

ATM i use Main Concepts MPEG HD Pro to import the raw MTS file, edit in Premiere cs3, then export again using either MPEG HD Pro or the regular PP export. Export as h264 at full video res (1280x720 for me).

I am interested in getting the best quality out of my files though, whether it be for vimeo (web) or for duplication on blu-ray as well as MKV/xvid/etc.

m.t.
10-08-2008, 06:43 AM
I would also like to really know the best workflow!

ATM i use Main Concepts MPEG HD Pro to import the raw MTS file, edit in Premiere cs3, then export again using either MPEG HD Pro or the regular PP export. Export as h264 at full video res (1280x720 for me).

Using the HD Pro export method seems god awful slow to me (6 or 7 minutes to do 1.5 minutes of footage at 1280X720) Admittedly, i've been trying to edit exclusively on my c2d laptop. Avsynth scripts and cs3 itself aren't any faster in export. Is the solution using a quad-core chip? I don't think that asking for real time export is so much to ask :)

jona816
10-08-2008, 03:39 PM
thanks for the replies guys. i ask because i plan to do some shorts using this camera (10-30 min; maybe even more in the future) and i'm just terrified to see what the render times would be like, but in the end, i want the best possible output for my work, and that includes, Blu-Ray, DVD and web content for Vimeo and the likes.

M.T. - I have a quad core chip, AMD Phenom. I'm hoping that is sufficient to have an at least moderate workflow.

Douchebro - Does MPEG HD PRO also support 720p AVCHD files or just 1080?

HiDef1080 - How long did it take to render that 1 minute clip and export it as mpeg2?

Hidef1080
10-08-2008, 03:48 PM
4 minutes.

Transcode took about 40 seconds or so.

This is on a Core 2 Duo.

jona816
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
4 minutes.

Transcode took about 40 seconds or so.

This is on a Core 2 Duo.

not too shabby

m.t.
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Oh, i was encoding to h.264 for the 6/7 minutes from the mts file for a 1:30 clip. Converting to m2v via MPEG HD pro (default mpeg dvd 16:9 option) from the .mts file took about 2:15. Hell, that's not so bad at all.

Hidef1080
10-09-2008, 03:26 AM
not too shabby

Like that did ya???

Check this out!
I'm doing a one minute clip [1440 frames of 24p 1080] just playing around to see what's what.
I did color corrections, brightness and contrast, added a lighting effect and some other stuff.
Two pass mpeg2 -
The first pass is clocking in at about 2 hours.:crybaby:
I don't know if I want to know what the second pass is going to look like. 4 hours????:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Needless to say, when you're only doing cuts, fades and text overlays you can save some time but when you go deeper into the post adjustments then who knows...

Quad cores are looking really good to me right about now!:)

Barry_Green
10-09-2008, 03:47 AM
The best results I've seen were from running CS4. On a quad-core system it was running AVC-HD straight from the card in realtime, without any conversions or hassles.

jona816
10-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Like that did ya???

Check this out!
I'm doing a one minute clip [1440 frames of 24p 1080] just playing around to see what's what.
I did color corrections, brightness and contrast, added a lighting effect and some other stuff.
Two pass mpeg2 -
The first pass is clocking in at about 2 hours.:crybaby:
I don't know if I want to know what the second pass is going to look like. 4 hours????:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Needless to say, when you're only doing cuts, fades and text overlays you can save some time but when you go deeper into the post adjustments then who knows...

Quad cores are looking really good to me right about now!:)

now this is the part when i say, "holy crap!" so what did that second pass end up looking like (time wise)?

jona816
10-09-2008, 04:39 AM
The best results I've seen were from running CS4. On a quad-core system it was running AVC-HD straight from the card in realtime, without any conversions or hassles.

CS4, where are you?? I hear November, any truth to that?

Hidef1080
10-09-2008, 06:39 AM
now this is the part when i say, "holy crap!" so what did that second pass end up looking like (time wise)?

The total time was 3 hours and about 15 minutes!!!! One minute.

Crazy I know....

Click mehttp://www.vimeo.com/1920915