PDA

View Full Version : Long shootings - How does the 150 handle spanned clips?

Averdahl
10-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Has anyone tried to shoot longer shots so that the clips gets spanned on the memory card?

If yes, could you see or hear anything abnormal, such as some glitches in the video or audio between clip 1 and clip 2?

/Roger

William_Robinette
10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
There is only one card slot on the 150. What two media destinations is it getting spanned to?

Averdahl
10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
There is only one card slot on the 150. What two media destinations is it getting spanned to?
There is a maximum file size limit for each file on the card at approx 4GB, so what happens when you shoot for a longer time, when you get one clip that is 4GB and the rest of the shooting continues on the second/third clip?

Maybe spanning was the wrong term. :)

/Roger

Thomas Lew
10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I tend to not just run the camera forever but I'm guessing on the highest quality it would take about.... 30 minutes to reach that. Haven't yet encountered recording one clip over that time. Very interesting question though I am wondering the same now

kurtmo
10-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I recall reading that the AVCHD viewer is supposed to recombine spanned clips somehow.

BobDiaz
10-07-2008, 09:23 AM
The time to reach 4GB will vary a bit, but should be around 22 to 23 minutes.

Bob Diaz

ullanta
10-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Should be just as seamless as on P2, which does the same spanning...

impressive creations
10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I do mostly weddings and that would be kinda lame if that was the case. I mean, what about a ceremony. They can go a hour and a half without a break.

Any thoughts on this? Kinda concerned. SHould I be?

Thanks and ordering my cam tomorrow. Anyone want to by a 100B with brand new heads and a logic board? 2 hours.

B.p.

BobDiaz
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I do mostly weddings and that would be kinda lame if that was the case. I mean, what about a ceremony. They can go a hour and a half without a break.

Thanks and ordering my cam tomorrow. Anyone want to by a 100B with brand new heads and a logic board? 2 hours.

B.p.

I don't have the camera to test this, but from the end of one clip to the start of the next clip; IF the 2 clips are put into the time line, they should play without any dropout.

Anyone with a HMC-150 want to try this?

Bob Diaz

ullanta
10-07-2008, 07:00 PM
I think Log and Transfer (in FCP) should handle this without the need to piece 'em together. Really, P2, SxS, and the HMC all use FAT32 with a 4GB file size limit, and all have metadata about how to stitch everything together. I certainly have shot hundreds of performances on P2 that were spanned on and across P2 cards without an issue.

mcsmooth
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I recall reading that the AVCHD viewer is supposed to recombine spanned clips somehow.
The original stream files are left as is, but this or any other program that can read the structure properly will treat it as one large clip. If you were to pull only stream files off the card, I'm not sure if it would know to link the files.

Should be just as seamless as on P2, which does the same spanning...
Just an FYI for those of you transcoding to DVCHD PRO, the Main Concept transcoder DOES combine combine files into one clip.

Frankly, I wouldn't have any problems dropping multiple files in a time line if I had to, nobody is going to know the difference. I don't see that being "lame" since if you were already doing 1.5 hour shots with a DVX... didn't you have to switch tapes? Nothing to be concerned about.

I don't have the camera to test this, but from the end of one clip to the start of the next clip; IF the 2 clips are put into the time line, they should play without any dropout.
This should work with any codec and NLE so long as the files are indeed one frame apart. I am currently not set up to edit natively, so I cannot verify 100%.

Walter
10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Using Toast 9 to transcode long clips on my Mac, shots larger than 4gb get split into two files, and there IS a noticeable glitch -- in both audio and video -- at the joint when the two are butted up against one another in Final Cut.

When I use the Panasonic converter on a PC to convert the AVCHD files to P2 files, long clips get seamlessly stitched into one clip. No glitch.

I still can't transcode the AVCHD files using FCP, so I can't report how well it works. Long 24p clips have serious audio sync issues, and 30p clips play back at double speed.

shrigg
10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Remember that both Toast 9 and FCP were around before the HMC150 and weren't designed to work with it. I'm hopeful that next versions of both apps resolve this and other transcoding issues.