PDA

View Full Version : Operation Time / Solid State is the Win

mcsmooth
10-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm guessing there was discussion regarding this with HVX users, but coming from a DVX, and this being the first camera without a tape deck, I was a little surprised to see an hour counter. This counter is on any time the camera is on, even if there is no card inserted.

This bothered me a little bit at first since with the DVX you were only docked for time you had a tape inserted. Kind of like the resale value of your car is effected by miles, not by how long you sat in traffic. But I guess this makes things more fair now and I'm expect to see MUCH higher times on the used market in a few years and it not having as big of an impact on selling price. If Panasonic is confident giving 3 years of warranty, I would expect them to be lasting a lot longer than that even with heavy use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In relation to this, I have to say the solid-state only feature is probably the MOST IMPORTANT feature upgrade from the DVX (at least for me). I understand some people prefer tapes for "reliability" and backup, but I am DONE!!! Probably the worst part about the tapes was the damn hour counter and having to baby the stupid thing all the time to keep the deck working and the hours low.

Then dealing with usual crap like this:
-using only the right tapes
-shouldn't reuse tapes
-need a separate player (video cam for most)
-can't see footage until the next day when it's been captured
-painful captures (and having to recapture)
-try to do anything inside tethered to firewire
-tether to laptop to get long times outside or do a decent timelapse
-bla, bla, and more

It feels like this giant weight has been lifted, and that I have been set free. I know this all may sound kind of stupid, but there were just too many times I rushed, avoided or skipped something due to the tape hassle. Now I am having no problems leaving the camera on, testing everything out, playing back clips, deleting clips, using the camera as a card reader, whatever. I'm already at 1/4 the hours of my DVX. While that was a bit scary at first, I'm sure my non-tape DVX hours were probably 10X what the tape hours were (with no firestore). After a few days on the 150, I confidently put my DVX up on ebay. :thumbup:

Thomas Lew
10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Sounds like a happy user haha.

Ed Kishel
10-06-2008, 04:37 PM
amen

ScottInVegas
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
I was a little surprised to see an hour counter. This counter is on any time the camera is on, even if there is no card inserted. This bothered me a little bit at first...

My 150 is here in 2 days and I hate finding negative things along the way. I cannot believe that Panasonic did this. That suxxxxx so much!! I'll need therapy to keep me from obsessing over this point. There goes the difference saved on SD cards over P2. eeeerrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks for pointing it out, though.

Hidef1080
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the same thing here but my TC count only counts when I'm shooting.
If I turn my camera on without recording none of my counters tally up.

Are saying that your TC is running whenever you turn your camera on or are we talking about two different things?

I'm off base here?

mcsmooth
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
My 150 is here in 2 days and I hate finding negative things along the way. I cannot believe that Panasonic did this. That suxxxxx so much!! I'll need therapy to keep me from obsessing over this point. There goes the difference saved on SD cards over P2. eeeerrrrrrrrrrr

Thanks for pointing it out, though.
I think I read this is the case on the HVX... maybe there is a counter for heads and one for total time? I think it will become the norm and wont really be a disadvantage when everyone else has 1000+ hours too. I never considered buying used tape cameras, but unless some crazy defect shows up down the road, I would have no hesitation buying a 150 with many hours to save money (pending a good lens of course).

Sure there will be a few negatives at this price point, but they really did well with the most important aspects, you wont be disappointed. ;)

I'm not sure if I'm thinking about the same thing here but my TC count only counts when I'm shooting.
If I turn my camera on without recording none of my counters tally up.

Are saying that your TC is running whenever you turn your camera on or are we talking about two different things?

Is the TC the hour counter?
Sorry, I was referring to the "Operation Time" under menu > other functions. It shows how many hours you have had the camera on. The TC behavior you mention is normal. It also can be changed to free run in the menus.

ScottInVegas
10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I think it will become the norm and wont really be a disadvantage when everyone else has 1000+ hours too.

I know, taking this into account, then the playing field will be the same, it'll just take some getting used to. Not gonna stop me from Monkish behavior, though. Thanks.