PDA

View Full Version : What is best setting for final ouput to SD DVD?

awomias
10-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Hi All. I just ordered my camera and should receive it by Tuesday! I normally shoot weddings and use a couple of DVX100B's. Using the HMC150, what mode should I shoot in? 720/24p, 720/60p, 1080/24p etc .... final output is going to be an SD DVD using FCS 2. Do I have to shoot in PH mode or will HA mode be sufficient (longer times on my SDHC cards). Thanks for any input.

shrigg
10-06-2008, 12:00 PM
The lower quality modes are all 1080i60 only. I'm sure they (or any other mode) would downconvert to SD just fine. One SD workflow I am considering is dubbing the footage to DVcam SD masters. Yes it would be realtime but it would still be much quicker to edit and with no overnight downconvert render. You can archive the camera's avchd files for future use in HD etc.

PKraft
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM
It's like in a good Cuisine: The better things are you get in, the better things will be you get out.
First and above all, interlaced material does not scale down well. So choose a progressive setting
or plan de-interlacing your source material a step of your workflow.

Then, bigger is not necessarily better suited. 720something may please your eyes aestethically more then 1080.

Last, with the low price of the memory chips, I'd never chose a mode lower then PH. Would never throw
away image quality right at the source.

You have these options and have to choose which way to go.

Finally. edit in HD and scale down your master cut. Proven workflow.