PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk tripods/heads

Chris_TC
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey,

since I will be using the 5dm2 or similar for both photography and video, I wonder what tripods and heads I need to look into.
What is the difference between a video tripod and a photo tripod? Can a fluid head be used for photography without major disadvantages? Gitzo's center ball heads are supposed to be very smooth, can they be used for video?
I don't want to swap heads all the time, so what's the best solution?

Thanks

Thebes
10-01-2008, 11:50 AM
In a photo tripod head I like a ball head or a pan tilt head with 3rd axis (sideways) tilt.
In a video tripod I need smooth fluid controls and don't need that 3rd axis.

I wouldn't use a ball headfor video unless it was locked down the whole time- learned that lesson the hard way and spent 6 hours making the footage look less crappy, without really succeeding.

Have 2 tripods with you... have the heads use the same quick release plates. I find I want certain things in a photo tripod (light, more articulating, fast to adjust) but I want a sturdier and heavier tripod for video.

infurno
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Fluid heads don't work very well with lightweight cameras. You need to meet a minimum weight for fluid heads to function correctly. How much weight depends on head you buy.

I find that the 503HDV head for example needs at least 8lbs or so to get nice smooth pans.