PDA

View Full Version : D90 documentary video posted online

pressphotographer
09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I've posted this elsewhere, but I just wanted to let you know that the first documentary news feature I've shot mostly on an early Nikon D90 is now live on the the Guardian website http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/oct/01/tibet. Everything apart from the interview footage and file footage from Chinese TV was shot on the D90. Audio for the reporter's pieces was separately recorded on an Edirol R-09 CF recorder and synced later. The shooting conditons were less than ideal as the subject of Tibet is quite sensitive even though we were on an official trip, therefore much of the camera work is handheld. Despite showing the camera's faults in places (such as rolling shutter and flicker due to using a 24fps camera under Chinese lighting) it does prove in my mind what can be done with SLR video.

All editing is in Apple's Final Cut Pro. The colours and saturation have not been altered in the Guardian website version. There are some clips here http://www.vimeo.com/1810729 , in higher res with grading applied.

Dan

EDIT-XTREEM
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Looks good. Which lens did you use? How did you manage to keep it so still while shooting handheld?

frisco
09-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice!

frisco

Park Edwards
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
i love it when people ask "like how did you keep it so still?"
just don't use it like you're using a home video camera.

DallasZhen
09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
"I'm releasing a new camera, its called the GREEN Purple. It will shoot 18k and record to GREEN RAY, 4:4:4, for under 5 bucks. Release date subject to change, all details subject to change, in fact, count on it."

UPDATE: "The GREEN PURPLE has been delayed until 2009 Q4, we are currently working on a camera in a DSLR form factor that shoots 4k and uploads it directly to the internet. Pricing subject to change, release date subject to change, in fact, count on it!!"

man, your signature is really made my day. sooo funny.....:-Laugh(DBG)::-Laugh(DBG):

Blindsight671
09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Looks amazing. Only thing I noticed is you need to use crossfades when you transition between clips.

ESTEBEVERDE
09-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Very Nice Work Dan!

A++++

utako.o
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Very impressive. Where the people prayed and slid their entire bodies: hands into the lens.. most spectacular of your vimeo clips.

BLUESPIDER
09-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I like the look of it. Almost has this candy color look which looks good. This camera in the right hands and create amazing visuals.

bjingbar
10-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Dan,

Nice shots, you no doubt will be using the camera more often for sensitive topics

Bob

Taylor Moore
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Fantastic work, this really motivates me to get it to shoot a short doc with.
What do you see as the big hurdles with this camera for shooting a doc.

Also can you post the uncompressed version on Vimeo.

NoahK
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Highlights are a little blown out- especially at the beginning. Was that on purpose or just the Vimeo?

-Noah